Forums Latest Members

Help: Needle in a haystack search for my in-laws Datejust's

1. OneTwo Dec 4, 2022

Hi OF,

I am writing in the hopes of hopefully locating my Mother-in-law and late Father-in-law’s Rolex Datejust watches. It is a bit of needle in a haystack search with slim chance of finding the watches, but I figured it was worth a shot to reach post here and ask for advice/help.

After my father-in-law passed in 2021, I was told the story about how they each, unknowingly to one another, bought each other a Rolex Datejust as a Christmas gift in the late eighties, most likely 1989. They each wore the watches almost daily until the watches went missing from their home in the early 2000’s. Since my in-laws weren’t completely sure if the watches were just misplaced / lost somehow or if they were stolen, as there was no sign of a break in at that time, a police report was never filed. Nevertheless, it was a great loss to them and they were saddened to not be able to wear the watches anymore. Hearing that I was interested in / researching vintage watches, my mother-in-law said she had something to show me; asked me to wait a minute, went upstairs and returned with the original hang tags, box, and papers for both watches. It was quite something to see how fondly my mother-in-law recalled the story and I would love to track these watches down. Realizing that I had enough information to start the search for the watches with the original reference and serial numbers noted on the Rolex Guarantee papers, my curiosity to start the search was sparked.

While I understand this is a bit of a wild undertaking years later with slim to none chance of success as Rolex made so many examples of these references, I 've reached out to a few resellers to see if they have either of the watches for sale or if they have sold either watch they could potentially connect me with the purchaser but also thought I'd post here to see if any of you could provide any advice/help.

I am aware that Rolex provides a "Missing Watch Report" search service but when I spoke with the local Rolex boutique in Beverly Hills they informed me that a police report was necessary for this search so I don't believe that will be a viable path. Maybe some of you have experienced different? Would appreciate to hear if you have.

I have no interest in involving any authorities, I merely would like to buy the watches back to return them to my mother-in-law as I know it would make her very happy.

The serial and model information are as follows and I’d be happy with any help / advice you all could provide.

Father-in-law’s watch:
    Rolex Datejust
    Ref. No. – 16014
    Serial No. – 8935476

Mother-in-law’s watch:
    Rolex Datejust
    Ref. No. – 69173
    Serial No. – R569669

Happy to answer any questions here or through DM. And please know any advice or help that can be provide is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    OneTwo

Edited Dec 4, 2022
  2. bgrisso Dec 12, 2022

Do you think finding an examples of the same reference with a ballpark close serial would be something she would appreciate, or does it need to be the actual watches in question? I'm not familiar with these watches at all, I'm just wondering in principle, as finding the actual watches is probably near impossible, where as finding replacement similar watches I would imagine could be done.

OneTwo, JwRosenthal and watch3s like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Dec 12, 2022

This is a needle in a haystack- but I totally get it and see no harm at throwing the serial numbers out there to see if they hit.

A coworker of mine inherited his fathers early 70’s BMW 3.0cs. His father was the second owner, bought it from a doctor. He babied the thing and against his better judgement let his idiot brother borrow the car (becuase it was his father too was his rationale) and of course- idiot brother wraps it around a tree.
    Friend, besides himself but not wanting to do a full restoration on the car posts it online for sale. He gets a ping a few days later from a guy who says “that’s my fathers car!”. Friend says “no, it was my fathers car”- but no, the guy who answered the ad was the son of the original owner and had memorized the VIN and has been looking for it for 20 years! Apparently his father sold it and regretted selling ever after, and the son has very fond memories of the car, so started hunting for it.
    Long story short (too late) friend sells car to son or original owner- original owner does frame off restoration- everyone is happy.

4. OneTwo Dec 12, 2022

Thanks for the reply! In theory this could potentially be a great solution. I hadn't gotten there yet as I was hoping to find the exact watches for a couple reasons.

- My late father in-law had some custom work done adding a pavé diamond bezel for an anniversary gift. So for hers even though it's making my life harder on the search but for the 69173 lady datejust, I'd like to find the exact serial reference. Since she'd be able to wear it, I know it would just make her day/year to have it back.
    -For my late father in-laws 16014 it would be ideal to have the exact serial number as she still has the box, papers and hang tag for this one as well. So for both the watches, turns out I'm just a masochist setting myself up for a tough search ahead. hahaha.

Sheesh!!! That is a wild turn of events for that car, but wonderful for the original owner's son. I actually have a similar different search going for my own father's 1997 Porsche 911 Carrera 993. Now that one my pocket book is no wear near ready to afford since his was the Pastel Yellow colorway and if I remember right, one recently auctioned for around 300K. It's more of a pipe dream but he who knows, lightning could strike in the same spot twice. Or in my case it would need to be 3-4 times.

Long story short, I guess I'm a getting a bit nostalgic in my age. HA

JwRosenthal likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Dec 12, 2022

Not at all. My father had a ‘74 Rolls Silver Shadow in British Racing Green and silver two tone when I was a kid. He grew up poor and that was his gift to himself when he finally “made it”. He loved that car until it was tragically totaled in a head on collision in 1984.
    I am not in the Rolls tax bracket, but I was feeling nostalgic and last year went on the hunt for a Mini Countryman ( as close to British luxury as I can afford)- as abstractly as you can squint- it kind of reminded me of his Rolls with the squat and tall stature, tall doors, high roofline and the bulbous curves- love those curves. Plus the round instruments and leather interior reminded me a bit of the rolls interior (not the yummy Connolly leather smell- but good enough for a budget).
    Of course I had to have it in British Racing Green and put silver stripes on it…it’s not my dad’s Rolls, but it’s a nod to it and I feel a little smile thinking of him whenever I drive it.

Keep posting these serial numbers and hunting- it may be fruitless, you may find one- you may not.

And perhaps a yellow VW GTI will get you a little closer to your dad’s Porsche… or at least put a smile on your face.

Dash1 and noelekal like this.
  6. Dan S Dec 12, 2022

Edited Dec 12, 2022
  7. Evitzee Dec 12, 2022

Nice sentiment to want to track down these watches, but after 20 years of being missing the chances of them ever surfacing in a manner that would alert the OP is between nil and none. Rolex's that old aren't likely to be handled by any sort of licensed Rolex repairer, if they are ever serviced they would be by some sort of independent shop and would never be checked against any sort of stolen watch database. These are over 30 years old now, pawn shops and resellers see tons of old Datejusts every day. And since there was no police report 20 years ago, and no one knows if they were even stolen, I don't believe he is going to be able to enter these on any sort of stolen item database. Querying individual dealers or tossing the serial numbers online in the hopes of making a connection is truly looking for a particular grain of sand on a vast beach. You can try, but it is unlikely to produce anything.

Edited Dec 12, 2022
  8. OneTwo Dec 13, 2022

Thanks Dan! I'll look into these databases. I was able to speak with Rolex and got the form to submit. They did however inform me that a police report is mandatory, so it's looking like that avenue is a no go at this time.

Totally agree that this is a one in a million long shot and most likely to not be accomplished. That said, I'm keeping the smallest bit of hope alive that one day I find these sentimental timepieces. I also agree that the querying of individual dealers is another challenging task, as those few that I have already reached out to have yet to reply. Which to me is completely understandable for a myriad of reasons, as well as I imagine they get many requests like this throughout the years. I'll just keep looking and set up some saved searches on eBay in the hopes that one day they come up.

9. janice&fred Dec 13, 2022

This could happen only one way. Simply watch Ebay and monitor the thousands of datejusts and see if anything close to the same model and year has the serial number. That is the place you might stand a chance of seeing one of the watches surface...someday.

OneTwo likes this.
  10. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Dec 13, 2022

@OneTwo I understand you do not want to file a police report but consider doing so for the reasons that I will add below.

The report will be taken over the phone.

Police will not follow up, since you have a very long time frame and no suspects.

Police will, however, enter the serial numbers as stolen in a database that spans the US, Canada and likely other parts of the world. Police from all over will get a hit if they enter the serial number(s) and that will be the most effective way to find them.

And, you will have a police report to share with Rolex.

This (filing the report) will not take long.

Best of luck!

UWG, Dan S, janice&fred and 1 other person like this.
  11. OneTwo Dec 13, 2022

That was my thinking as well. Thanks!

Appreciate this advice! I had previously tried to convince my Mother In-law to let me help her do this but she was a little reluctant since she wasn't 100% sure they were stolen. I'll take another crack at talking with her about it and see if I can convince her. At best it would help me access Rolex and they could tell me if it was ever serviced at an authorized servicer. If not, bummer back to square one but at least I'd know.

12. janice&fred Dec 13, 2022

Of course there is the theoretical possibility that the father in law sold both watches to his bookie to cover gambling debts (or similar nefarious circumstances) and kept his mouth shut about it. :D

13. janice&fred Dec 13, 2022

See my above post :D

14. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Dec 13, 2022

It will also help establish ownership of the watches, officially.

15. OneTwo Dec 13, 2022

LOL knowing the guy for over ten years I'd say that anything of that sort would have been way out of character for him. The sense I got of her reluctancy is not wanting to think that the employees/help they had in the house at the time would have stolen them, but who knows for sure.

16. OneTwo Dec 13, 2022

Agreed and this I have mentioned previously.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  17. JwRosenthal Dec 13, 2022

Yeah- there’s your answer of what happened. Now you just need to follow the trail to when and where were they sold

janice&fred likes this.
  18. janice&fred Dec 13, 2022

Or friends/relatives. Anyone who spent considerable time in the house would be likely candidates. I still say the old man was a degenerate gambler and offed the watches to avoid broken legs. :D

Dash1 likes this.
  19. Aroxx Sets his watch Dec 13, 2022

I think you’re projecting… :whistling:

Dash1 and janice&fred like this.
  20. janice&fred Dec 13, 2022

Oh we have an armchair psychologist in the thread. Project this. :D

JwRosenthal and Aroxx like this.