Forums Latest Members

Help for a new member interested in a specific Omega

1. Lombard7 Jun 8, 2021

Good evening everyone! I'm very excited to be here. I am really a novice when it comes to watches but am very interested in learning more about them. Last summer I did some research over the course of a few months and purchased a brand new Rolex Date Just for my wife as a 40th birthday present, however I find myself somewhat more attracted to Omega's.

I'm not looking to be a collector, I want a watch i'd actually enjoy wearing on a daily basis and find myself very interested in the Omega Seamaster that was created for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. I love sports generally and the olympics in particular and have a connection to Canada.

I've seen a few on Ebay over the past few months but I'm wary of making such an expensive purchase via an auction site. Can anyone provide any advice on where to look or how to make such a purchase safely? I found this forum when I called up my local Omega boutique to ask and they suggested I start here. If anyone could provide any guidance or better yet, if you have one for sale please let me know!! I look forward to interacting with everyone!

2. Walrus Jun 8, 2021

You should, just a suggestion of course, post the model you are looking for. Many of us watch people respond better with pictures

Dan S and 64Wing like this.
  3. SkunkPrince Jun 8, 2021

Certainly a striking watch but as a limited edition, it will cost more to buy and possibly cost more to own. What, specifically, did you like about it?

Another watch from that era, the 2254.50.00 Seamaster Professional is quite a handsome choice as well and they don't cost as much as the limited editions.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-300-m-chronometer-22545000

Take a look and see what might appeal to you more or less than whatever else you've seen.

4. 64Wing Jun 8, 2021

Famous last words...next thing you know, you'll want another but then the wife will want another Rolex or something and, well...then you're a two-collector household!::popcorn::

I'm sorry...::bleh::

I happen to be watching the Olympic qualifiers for diving as I write this. Have always enjoyed the games, thanks to my dad.

Best advice I can give is keep looking religiously, bordering on obsessively, and you'll find the one.

Welcome to the OF group! Looking forward to an 'incoming' post once you've tracked that piece down.

5. Lombard7 Jun 8, 2021

Good idea! Here are a few pictures

F0D93A26-A462-40EB-80D5-F88921C281C5.jpeg 89FDA6E6-C15F-44C3-969E-317A5D968646.jpeg
    Walrus likes this.
  6. f3dbca Jun 9, 2021

Chrono24 is likely a better website than eBay in your circumstances. It uses an escrow payment service so the seller doesn’t get the money until you confirm you have the watch. There are private sellers and dealers on the site from around the world so it always has a mix of options.

Worth saying that although it is a better place to buy watches than eBay it still has its flaws. Watches are often overpriced (especially from private sellers) and so you may want to negotiate the price down if you can. Chrono24 also take a very hands-off approach if you have an issue with the watch once delivered (not an issue I’ve ever personally had buying from there), and so you still want to make sure you are happy with, and trust the seller you’re buying from.

it looks like the watch model you’re looking for is 212.30.36.20.14.001
    there aren’t many of them listed at the moment, but worth checking back or putting an alert on for any that pop up in the future.
    Good luck!

7. Lombard7 Jun 9, 2021

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll keep looking!