Forums Latest Members

Help needed - can anyone help to identify this watch? Should I sell it?

1. WeiL Jun 9, 2020

45C23481-01E5-4F29-8D92-0A242ADDB16F.jpeg Hi all, I found this watch when doing house cleaning tried to research on it but have not seen anything similar, anyone has seen similar variants before? Do you think it’s advisable to sell it?

2. Biezmez Jun 9, 2020

Hi
    This could possibly be a 1940’s 30T2, but you need to provide some more photos. The best way to go is to get a watch repairer to open up the back and you’ll get all the reference numbers you need to identify it fully and estimate the year. Get the movement checked at the same time.
    What doesn’t play in its favour is that the dial has been repainted at some point. It’s not unusual with these old watches. The dial may have got damaged in its earlier life and the decision made to repaint it. This will therefore reflect in the price of the watch which would most likely not be of major interest to collectors unless someone is after some parts. Alternatively someone just after a nice old looking watch may be interested.
    Regards
    Chris

Dan S, WeiL, bardamu and 1 other person like this.
  3. kip595 Jun 9, 2020

Agree with Chris above. On the plus side there have definitely been worse dial refurbishments done and this one could appeal to someone new to vintage, looking for an intriguing but not heartbreakingly rare/expensive daily wear, etc. The vintage experts will be able to give much more info if you can get movement pics. If you do decide to list it somewhere please do just be honest about the repaint/refurb and you’re almost certain to have a smoother transaction when the right person comes along. All in all it looks like it may be a neat little piece as-is.

WeiL, Biezmez and ConElPueblo like this.
  4. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jun 9, 2020

But not that much :)

kip595 and WeiL like this.
  5. queriver Jun 9, 2020

IMO not a good redial, and the repainted dial, particularly the style of the numerals, now isn't consistent with the era of the watch case.

WeiL likes this.
  6. WeiL Jun 9, 2020

Thanks everyone for your advice, think I will get this piece to a watchmaker first, giving it a thorough check through first, so that I can understand more about the watch before deciding. Thanks all!

kip595 and Biezmez like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 9, 2020

Brugeat Numbers not from that era?

8. Canuck Jun 9, 2020

Breguet style numbers have been around since, well, Breguet! Abraham Louis Breguet, 1747-1823.

apsm100 and STANDY like this.
  9. Dan S Jun 9, 2020

Yes, sell it if you can. :D

10. dougwhiz Jun 9, 2020

Despite the dial refinishing, the Pontife hands are unusual and should help your sale.

kip595 likes this.
  11. queriver Jun 9, 2020

Don't know what Brugeat numbers are ::bleh:: but Breguet numbers were not commonly used in the context of the OPs watch. Obviously I wasn't referring to dials from any other specific brand or model. I just did a google search on Omega 30T2 images from the 1940s and not one came up with those numerals after going thru 200+ images so I'm inclined to re-word my post to say those style numerals are completely inconsistent with the OPs watch.

Foo2rama likes this.