Forums Latest Members

Help me choose my first Omega

1. Taneleer Aug 19, 2019

Edit: based on feedback, I think I have settled for getting a new sapphire moonwatch, or an excellent condition 3576.50.00 with box and papers. Feel free to continue to weigh in just in case I’m not considering something or if you have thoughts!

Posted a version of this in the plan for 2019 collection thread, but figured I might get some more advice if posing the question directly to the forum. I really appreciate any insight

I am in the market for my first Omega, but have really struggled with my choices given the budget:
    1. Budget is in the $3,000-$6,000 depending on the watch. Almost certainly prefer a Speedmaster to a Seamaster.
    2. I love the moonwatch, but wish there were a date, and I love the Mark II, but my wife doesn't. My optimal watch is probably the 3576.50.00 (moonwatch with moonphase), but finding one in great condition with box/papers, and from a trusted source has been a challenge.
    3. I'm skeptical about buying a used watch as my first Omega, but there seem to be some good deals out there - I definitely want the original box and papers.
    4. If I want a new watch, it appears the grey market is really my only option to get the best bang for my buck.
    5. I also absolutely love the moonphase watches from Omega (as noted above), but they appear to be outside of my price range as things stand, unless I get very used
    6. Steel Strap is a must, but I'm guessing I could always swap bracelets with straps? So far I have only looked at bracelets.

I'm really excited to get this all figured out - let me know if you're aware something that you think hits on all of the notes above that I may be missing! Or feel free to educate me if I'm being an idiot in regards to any of the above.

Thanks everyone!
    -B

Edited Aug 20, 2019
  2. whyboddau Aug 19, 2019

Maybe consider a reissued Mark2 running a coaxial movement. It has a date at 6oclock and are really good value in the used market. A new-ish 3576.50 moon phase with box and papers is most likely out of your budget range. Happy hunting!

Taneleer likes this.
  3. Taneleer Aug 19, 2019

Wife doesn’t love the bezel on the mark ii, anything else?

4. Ville_W Aug 19, 2019

Your wife doesn’t love the bezel??? What’s your opinion? Isn’t it you that will wear it;)

5. Taneleer Aug 19, 2019

Haha, if only life were that simple my friend

bdg5593 and kip595 like this.
  6. KeithS Aug 19, 2019

Are you set on OMEGA? The Tudor Black Bay chronograph has a date complication, steel bracelet, fits in your budget, and is a sharp looking watch.

Same with the Breitling SuperOcean Heritage Chronograph.

7. Ville_W Aug 19, 2019

:) Never underestimate the WAF.

8. Taneleer Aug 19, 2019

Thanks for the recs. Keith, both beautiful options. I think I’m committed to starting the collection with an Omega unless something really blew me away.

9. Ville_W Aug 19, 2019

You say you love the moon watch. Can’t you live without date? You have it in your phone. You may not rotate watches but I feel it very convenient to just set time and not date when I change watches.

Taneleer and 64Wing like this.
  10. Taneleer Aug 20, 2019

I am often in meetings where I can grab a quick sneaky glance at a watch for information (time, date) without picking up my phone, which many people find rude in the settings I deal with. It seems like the 3576.50.00 might really be my best option.

If I were to go for that, or the standard moonwatch, I just have to decide if I'm ok getting a used watch for my first, or if I'm ok using the gray market to get a new item.

11. JwRosenthal Aug 20, 2019

Mk40 would be my pick with these specs and under your price range.

D58A7499-EDCD-429F-BACA-FD14D3AFC5C2.jpeg

Taneleer and Taybharr like this.
  12. leepxy Aug 20, 2019

I've actually had pretty good experiences with jomashop when it comes to grey market. Watches nowadays are pretty reliable so I'm personally not too concerned about warranty at least within the first 3 years.

Taneleer likes this.
  13. Taneleer Aug 20, 2019

Thanks for the input. I have a beat on a new moonwatch sapphire for 4250 or so with omega warranty, so I might have to pull the trigger. Would love the one below (3576.50.00), but can’t find a used one with box and papers, and in decent condition.

995A001A-6C6F-416A-8B74-3A5A60A1724E.png
  14. leepxy Aug 21, 2019

Personally more of a fan of the hesalite. The sapphire has this translucent ring around the edge since it's manufactured thicker on the edges vs the hesalite is more seamless. Also haven't had an issue with scratches. PolyWatch buffs it right out if you do scratch.

64Wing and Taneleer like this.
  15. Taneleer Aug 21, 2019

I actually like the sapphire for the transparent back :)

16. leepxy Aug 21, 2019

fair enough :thumbsup:

17. Taneleer Aug 23, 2019

Getting a little more luck finding examples of the 3576.50, but still have found the perfect fit and price...given everyone's experiences, does patience with this kind of watch pay off, or is this futile given that I'm trying to get my FIRST Omega, and would prefer to do it sooner rather than later?

18. Lurk41 Aug 23, 2019

First watch I bought was a Speedmaster reduced. I did not wait too much for the right opportunity but I waited a few months. It was not the deal of the year but it was in a very good condition, serviced, on the lower range of the market price (and in my budget).

So, if it is your first "important" watch, do not wait too much for the best opportunity because you could miss good opportunities then run out of patience and rush into something less interesting than the ones on which you did not pull the trigger.

Now, before you start truly fishing: define your absolute maximum price (one that you are never allow to go above) and I am pretty sure your wife can help ;). Then if you are looking for several watches in a different range of price (3000-6000 is already large), define your maximum to pull the trigger for each model, knowing that this time, you may go a bit above that limit if the condition is exceptional (and recently serviced) and you truly think "that's the one". But never go above the overall limit, otherwise you'll start to raise it, then raise it, and raise it... and end with a Patek but no house

In your price range you should also be able to get a 2-register Speedmaster coaxial (they all have a date) or a Broad Arrow (178.0022 for example, or the 1957). Personnaly I always thought the coaxials were missing something (like a subdial at 6' :D) but this is just a matter of taste

19. Taneleer Aug 28, 2019

Thanks to everyone for all of their help and advice. Today I received my first Omega watch, got it sized, and I couldn't be happier. It is a Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch with Moonphase (3576.50).

IMG_20190828_103055.jpg IMG_20190828_174652.jpg IMG_20190828_103031.jpg

guwipa and Lurk41 like this.
  20. JwRosenthal Aug 28, 2019

....and that’s the way you do it- bam!
    ::psy::