Help me buy my first luxury watch, a Seamaster

FWIW, I too recently bought this same watch (SMP, blue on bracelet) from an AD—over the phone—and paid basically the Joma price

Here’s what I do when looking to buy a new truck:

I draft a very polite form email, stating the basic parameters of the truck I am looking for. In that email, I state politely and strategically that I’m sending this email separately to approximately 20 dealerships. I offer what I’m willing to pay (a very good deal, but still reasonable), but that lower would of course be better.

Then I wait for responses. It takes them only a moment to respond, and could be the easiest sale of their day.

This approach, however, works best (or at all) if the parameters of the truck sought are freely available, stocked plenty, and the starting offer aggressive but not unreasonable.

The watch OP seeks should be freely available and stocked plenty. The JOMA price should be aggressive but not unreasonable.

So Jared has a 15% off sale that ends today, I told them if they could extend that to Friday I would pick it up. She's getting with her manager to confirm if she can make that happen or not

The other thing you can try (if it’s feasible for you) is offer to pay cash: they may shave another couple percent off the price if they don’t have to pay cc fees. But probably better to take that shot after their initial offer.

You can get 15% off easily, even in todays market. If Jared doesn't pan out, DM me for the number of a very popular AD that I know will give you 15% off a 300M. Shipped for free and they don't collect your sales tax (like Jareds or Joma would).

Don't be afraid to go to another local AD as well when you have your Jared quote. Usually smaller stores HATE losing out to big box jewelers.

I've never bought anything above a G-Shock, and while it is god tier I think I'm ready to finally get the Seamaster I've always wanted, a 210.30.42.20.03.001, and besides that I'm lost. MSRP is $5,200 and that's at places like Jared, but when I Googled it came back with one at Jomashop for $4,200. That's a hell of a dip, and I'm paranoid about getting a fake. Any advice for a newbie?

If you are a U.S. military member or a U.S. veteran you can buy one from AAFES for hundreds less than Joma and get the full warranty plus pay no sales tax. They are an AD.

I’m certain Jared can give you the 15% discount. If they don’t, call other ADs and I’m pretty sure they can give you one for that specific model you’re interested in.
For newer models like the 3861/62, ADs are not giving any discounts.

I got it from Jared today with the 20% off that was offered by Joma. I'm so stoked I've wanted this watch forever. Thanks for all the info guys, it was a massive help

I got it from Jared today with the 20% off that was offered by Joma. I'm so stoked I've wanted this watch forever. Thanks for all the info guys, it was a massive help

Congrats!! You made the right call. If anything goes wrong, being able to drive straight to the AD and make it their problem is worth a slight premium. (in you case, no premium). That's a lot of watch for your money, especially with a $1000 discount or so.

Congrats!! You made the right call. If anything goes wrong, being able to drive straight to the AD and make it their problem is worth a slight premium. (in you case, no premium). That's a lot of watch for your money, especially with a $1000 discount or so.
Thanks, I much preferred buying from an AD. I was prepared to settle with the 15% off I didn't think they'd go for 20%.

My warranty card isn't filled out, it doesn't even have my serial number on it I had to check that with my chrono verification card. Is that OK? The manager of the store told me he set up my warranty registration with Omega and said I could go register it as well, but I can't see anywhere on Omega's website to do that

My warranty card isn't filled out, it doesn't even have my serial number on it I had to check that with my chrono verification card. Is that OK? The manager of the store told me he set up my warranty registration with Omega and said I could go register it as well, but I can't see anywhere on Omega's website to do that

Others can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the AD is supposed to be listed on the card and the card should be dated as well. And it should definitely include the model and serial numbers. The METAS card and pictograms are nice but don’t really mean anything as far as warranty goes—and that’s what’s important. Not saying this is something to panic about—if it’s a legit AD, I assume they know what they’re doing. But I, for one, would have… questions.

Other folks?

Thanks, I much preferred buying from an AD. I was prepared to settle with the 15% off I didn't think they'd go for 20%.

Is the store you purchased at listed on the Omega website as an AD?

Is the store you purchased at listed on the Omega website as an AD?
Yes, it's Jared's in Tucson, they're the only Omega Boutique in town and there's only 2 of them that are. Got it straight from Omega's site and they confirmed it. The manager had said he already registered myself and the watch with Omega warranty service but also said I could later as well on Omega's website but I can't see anywhere to do so. Does having a blank warranty card increase the value? It's also got the box it was shipped in

Yes, it's Jared's in Tucson, they're the only Omega Boutique in town and there's only 2 of them that are. Got it straight from Omega's site and they confirmed it. The manager had said he already registered myself and the watch with Omega warranty service but also said I could later as well on Omega's website but I can't see anywhere to do so. Does having a blank warranty card increase the value? It's also got the box it was shipped in

Personally, I’d be more worried that a blank warranty card means the warranty hasn’t been triggered, and so it could end up in some nether-region lacking proper coverage.

But I really don’t know the deal, as I’ve not been in that position.

Personally, I’d be more worried that a blank warranty card means the warranty hasn’t been triggered, and so it could end up in some nether-region lacking proper coverage.

But I really don’t know the deal, as I’ve not been in that position.
I'll call them and ask them later

Yeah this doesn’t make any sense to me. When you send in your watch to Omega, you send it in with the filled-in card. A blank card is absolutely worthless. Guess I’d put it this way: if you were to list your watch for sale and I saw the blank warranty card, I’d probably pass on it, as I’d see that as an oddity/red flag.

But Jared is a legit national chain. If I were you, I’d go back to them and insist that they fill out the card properly.

Have a look around at listings for Omega watches that come with box & papers at trusted sites—you’ll see what a properly filled in warranty card is supposed to look like.

Jusr my 2 cents, but I wouldn’t wait on this. But also don’t let it spoil the watch: I have no doubt that it’s authentic and all as it should be. This is just a weird anomaly.

But Jared is a legit national chain. If I were you, I’d go back to them and insist that they fill out the card properly.
They are also authorized Omega dealers.

Yeah I'm going to try that, I wasn't aware you could haggle ADS. The only one anywhere near me is at a Jared, I'm going to check that out this weekend. Even if it's say a 15% discount instead of Jomas 20% I would jump on that
It’s all about how you ask the question, I always use the “What’s your best price for this watch” and if they let you, they can and will bring back a quote without taxes.
I like to shop around and have previous sales experience so it’s like second nature to me I guess but i can understand why some might be nervous, Most of the time if the Jewelry shop or AD do not give discounts they will legit have it writing all over the store.

For a rubber strap 300m diver in blue the manager managed to bring it down to $4,300 before taxes when it retailed for $5,100 lolol at my local Jared boutique LOL

I just called them and they said they don't do that anymore? They said they registered it electronically and have for 2 years so filling out the card isn't necessary and it's old school. Plus if I ever have to use the warranty they said to bring it in to them and they would take care of it. They also said if I want to I can bring it in and they'll fill it out. Probably not a big deal because they will handle it if I need warranty work and I'm never going to sell it anyway

I just called them and they said they don't do that anymore? They said they registered it electronically and have for 2 years so filling out the card isn't necessary and it's old school. Plus if I ever have to use the warranty they said to bring it in to them and they would take care of it. They also said if I want to I can bring it in and they'll fill it out. Probably not a big deal because they will handle it if I need warranty work and I'm never going to sell it anyway

But as it stands, you yourself have no proof that the watch has been properly registered for warranty with Omega? That would make me uncomfortable.

Also, as it stands, you have no assurance that this particular Jared’s, much less your sales rep, will exist in 2-3-4-5 years time?

If the watch is not properly registered, or this sales rep not there to vouch, then it is possible another AD/OB would adjudicate that yours is a grey market watch not benefiting from warranty.

One way or another, I’d want some physical proof in hand of the watch being properly registered (what the card properly filled in + receipt would do).

but horses for courses.

I guess my info’s out of date—though the identical watch I got a month ago came with a filled out card and when I sent it in for a clasp issue they required that I send the card in. But I would trust an AD over some random dude on a forum (as in me).