Forums Latest Members

Buying my first luxury watch (FOIS)

1. ModusOperandi Jul 26, 2020

Hello guys,

I am pretty new to luxury watches and has been eyeing the FIOS for a few years now and decided it is now time to pull it off. The speedmaster overall is the watch that has appealed to me the most and the interest has never faded which is a good indication of the possibility of being satisfied.

Now, I have a question, right now the FIOS sells in 5 digit numbers and in the new (but generic) brown woodwn omega box.

Do you guys think there will be any differences in value long term between the 4 digit/black box and the re-released one with 5 digit number in a generic brown wooden box?

thanks

2. Eve Jul 27, 2020

Welcome to the forum and nice choice!
    I just picked up a brand new FOIS last week in 5 digit numbers range and i got a black wooden box. Not sure where they sell them in a generic brown box, maybe on the gray market? Are you sure about that?

3. w@tcher Jul 27, 2020

Welcome!

I just bought the FOIS last week.
    It is a numbered edition with 5 digits range (~ 14.### up to now...).

The FOIS comes with the specific black wooden box specially for the FOIS, there is a plated metallic logo inside the box - tribute for Walter Schirra.

[​IMG]

I can't imagine which box you have in your mind, but in any case i wouldn't buy the FOIS with any other box.
    It is a full set with the above box.

*In the case of FOIS, the 5 digit numbered edition which is printed at the case back, it is also printed on the Pictogram Card with the Serial Number of the watch

Edited Jul 27, 2020
    scapa, vintage hab and hansmaulwurf like this.
  4. ModusOperandi Jul 27, 2020

Okay and is the black box tied to a watch (i.e. Numbered too) or all the black boxes the same?

Just making sure I got every little detail when taking price etc. into account when making the right purchase decision.

5. vintage hab Jul 27, 2020

The box is not numbered: just the watch & paperwork

w@tcher likes this.
  6. w@tcher Jul 27, 2020

Exactly.

7. kelsey Jul 27, 2020

I’m lost what you mean by “the re-released one”:thumbsdown:

8. scapa Jul 27, 2020

Yep. Mine, also a 14xxx, came in this box, which is standard for the FOIS so far as I know.

OP, I've not heard of a "re-released" FOIS, housed in this or any other box.

Edited Jul 27, 2020
  9. Hamish02 Jul 27, 2020

I know the SM300MC got ‘re-boxed’ a couple of years after it’s initial release, and that was 2014 so maybe the FOIS got the same treatment? I’m completely speculating here btw.

10. Evitzee Jul 27, 2020

Without any further information from the OP it sounds like the AD is confused or clueless on which box it comes in (always possible), or he's trying to buy it grey market where all bets are off.

kelsey and Eve like this.