Forums Latest Members
  1. Aliprvz Feb 20, 2021

Good day to everyone! I am looking for any advice I can get my hands on. I am a student and I really want to start saving to buy myself my first luxury watch of sorts this year as a 21st gift to myself. I have always liked the omega seamaster and speedmaster as I feel more attraction towards tool watches. I know that the best speedy to get is probably the professional but I don’t know if I’ll be able to afford it, therefore I have been looking at the 39mm models and for a wrist size of 16-17cm I think it would work quite well. The model I have been thinking about the most is the speedmaster triple date 3520.50 . I really like this complication and how busy it is as well as unlike the reduced I don’t feel like it’s trying to be a professional but more of something very different. I guess my question is how much would be a good price and what should I be looking at paying for this watch. Also would this be a smart investment in regards of value I don’t plan on buying the watch to potentially sell but if it comes to it I would want to buy a watch with all my savings to only loose money on it or later regret buying over something else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated it!

45D074DE-5F9C-407B-93AD-C4947D76C909.jpeg 92D1E88D-A4CD-46D3-BAF2-FEF80C73402D.jpeg
  2. sleepyastronaut Feb 20, 2021

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Try watchcharts for pricing: https://watchcharts.com/watch/1326/omega-speedmaster-day-date-3520-50

You can also search eBay and filter on sold items to see real world values.

I'm no expert, but in my estimation, you shouldn't buy this watch as an investment. You should buy it because you like it. If it holds its current value, that's a nice perk. But I would advise you against viewing this watch as an investment vehicle.

If you plan on sticking around, please set an avatar.

Best wishes!

3. Dan S Feb 20, 2021

I think this is better than a Speedy Reduced, for sure. Unfortunately, it's very hard for a newbie to buy a watch as an investment. So hopefully you will get enjoyment from it while you own it. Follow some auction to their conclusion, and eventually you will get a sense of value vs. condition. Don't use Chrono24 asking prices as a guide.

Aliprvz, wagudc and sleepyastronaut like this.
  4. ipreferjester Feb 20, 2021

I agree very much with sleepyastronaut on this one. Whilst watches can fluctuate in value, predicting whether they will do so can lead to some unfortunate results at times. To make it worth your while, I'd just buy something that you want to own as opposed to thinking of the sale price in case you'd need to. If you do want a good idea of what that particular model goes for -> ebay sold section + past auction results + watchrecon pricings will give you a rough estimate as to what you can expect for it in need of sale.

Aliprvz and sleepyastronaut like this.
  5. Savirde Feb 20, 2021

If the Speedmaster Professional is the one you really want, I would recommend to keep saving for it. It's no fun to be stuck with a watch you may feel lukewarm about. IMO try not to waste time and money in this hobby; especially at your age.

Lex_Lugga, 64Wing, Aliprvz and 2 others like this.
  6. Gruesome Feb 20, 2021

As Savirde says, there's nothing wrong with saving a few years longer.

7. marcn Enough space to say witty Feb 20, 2021

If you already know what you must have, then that’s what you should set your goals on.

Buying something to scratch the itch generally results in dissatisfaction, money tied up, and a delay getting what you really should’ve had to begin with. 21 is a great milestone age, but personally, bank the money until you can afford the dream watch.

Delayed gratification is highly underrated, IMO.

Robert M and sleepyastronaut like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 21, 2021

This model is actually a really good option, I would buy one with some minor wear and scratches as cheaply as possible and factor in the cost of service in the price. No matter how much you pay or if it says its serviced in the ad, assume it isn’t as most ebay dealers won’t service them to a high standard if they can avoid it. The good news is its not an expensive, difficult or troublesome movement to service so that cost isn’t huge but all of these are now old enough to be due for a service so it has to be factored in.

If you shop around you can find them under $2k and at that price they represent great value.

KeithS, Dan S and Aliprvz like this.
  9. Aliprvz Feb 21, 2021

Thank you everyone for your responds! I am very impressed by all the feedback! I understand what you mean when it comes to saving up for the watch you really want, but I wouldn’t say that that’s the reason for wanting this watch sure the professional is what caught my attention and then when I came across this model I personally really liked even with the lack of buzz around it. One day I hope to own both models and I feel in a way that they are two different pieces, I think the only thing holding me back is the size I am still to put on both watches to get a feel of the size. Unfortunately ads are closed and I don’t know if they’ll still have the mk40. I also heard as far as 39mm speedmasters go this and the day date are better options due to the movement compared to the reduced which will also cost much more to service. I think the goal is to find the watch for around $2k looking on local classifieds and on ebay/chrono 24 I only find watches closer to $3k if I consider import taxes for countries from outside the eu as I currently live in Denmark.
    That being said the professional cost much (more than double) and even though I think it’s the better watch for sure I don’t think to me it’s double the watch.

10. Screwbacks Feb 21, 2021

i agree, for a student like yourself, that it is not really a starter watch with a complication you can tell like chrono, triple date (calendar and 31 days), gmt, and automatic. would be better if you can share the price being offered as some OF aficionados may share a good advice on valuation on that particular model.

Aliprvz likes this.
  11. Aliprvz Feb 21, 2021

Yea some might think it’s too busy but I think just the fact that one mechanical movement is doing all these functions is so cool! I am still to try it on as well as try on the pro and If I am satisfied with the size I really think this maybe my first luxury watch (I hope). I will carry on saving and keep an eye out for listing and post them here to get a second opinion on value, I also should look to see how much a service would cost.

Screwbacks likes this.
  12. ClaudeR Feb 21, 2021

If you like it, go for it! Just make surr to put it on and look at it on your wrist (and ideally a full body mirror)

no sense in thinking it must be a professional (my first luxury watch was a speedmaster with the *GAAAASP* automatic 3313 caliber, and a *GAAAASP* date window, and I wore it exclusively for many many years. It is still my most treasured watch!)

13. Donn Chambers Feb 21, 2021

Just make sure you have the money to service the watch as well. That watch hasn’t been made by Omega for at least 1o years and probably more. If the seller says it was “cleaned and adjusted” that means they popped the back off, made sure it looked good inside and adjusted the timing so it looked good on their time-grapher (and that might not have been set properly). The any claims of servicing with a grain of salt.

Frankly, I’d buy a new Hamilton or Tissot or Longines (etc) chrono for probably less money than you’d pay for that an unserviced Speedmaster triple date, then save for the Speedmaster you want when you graduate. Lots of good options out there. I think the Hamilton Intra-matic or Tissot heritage chronos are very nice.

Edited Feb 21, 2021
    Aliprvz likes this.
  14. Aliprvz Feb 21, 2021

Thank you I’ll definitely still be looking at other options I just realized that omega came out with a new version of the 3210.50 the 3220.50 this has two big pluses the watches are generally newer so as far as servicing goes it may not be so critical right away ( I assume) and they are some very good condition pieces selling for around the same as the 3210.50 but the main plus is the size increase to 40mm. The downside being I like the dial of the original much more.

15. maine-iac1 Feb 21, 2021

It sounds like you're a bit concerned about the professional's 42mm size and that seems to fit into your thinking. I agree that the watch must fit and the 42mm feels just a bit big for my wrist. I agonized over the size on both of my Omegas. ClaudeR mentioned a full length mirror. That's a good idea. Anyway, if it fits, and you really like it, then knock yourself out. It's cool to have a watch that's different.

Aliprvz likes this.
  16. Aliprvz Feb 21, 2021

Well I am definitely going to have to judge for myself I just have to wait for a opportunity to do so as I feel like I’m wasting any seller’s time if I ask to go see their watch with no intention of purchasing the watch. I think the only reason the size is something I’m thinking about is just that most reviews I watch complain that the 39mm watches are too small, I definitely don’t the think the 42mm would be too big as my daily wear is an skx 42 and I have owned 44mm watches too, i also have 38mm snxj89 which for what it is the size works. So yea definitely will have to try them on.

maine-iac1 likes this.
  17. SkunkPrince Feb 21, 2021

Aliprvz likes this.
  18. Aliprvz Feb 21, 2021

A seamaster was actually what I was looking at first, but the only ones I could find around $2k mark were quartz models. do you have an idea of the value of this reference? if it is around the budget then I will definitely consider it!
    thank you!

19. SkunkPrince Feb 21, 2021

You should be able to find one $2500 or less. Might take some time to shop around, you need not be in a rush.

Aliprvz likes this.
  20. Aliprvz Feb 21, 2021

Great any other seamaster, speedmaster or toolwatch models you know of would be greatly appreciated!