Forums Latest Members
  1. shah@123 Feb 12, 2020

Is this watch authentic - and is it worth 500 dollars

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600.jpg
  2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 12, 2020

Look, this site is not an authentication service. You read on the Net about that watch and then come back with questions, you could not answer from your own research. Read and learn first. Kind regards. Achim

3. shah@123 Feb 12, 2020

Sorry about that. I was able to find the right kind in the Omega website but there were some dissimilarities.
    The same 565 caliber for the geneve model which has the calendar option - the time markers do not match . The watch in the photo has 166.040 while the website has 166.0041 - what is the significance.
    I am very new to this so sorry for my ignorance.

Walrus likes this.
  4. shah@123 Feb 12, 2020

Also i read about geneve models not being the best to buy - does that stand true for this years - should i just go for a sea master - thank you for all yiou rhelp

5. Walrus Feb 12, 2020

It’s ok sometimes people will kick in and talk about authenticity and price for you. I’m no expert but it’s an omega I don’t know enough about that model to comment on originality. I think 500 is on the high side for that model but many here know more than me they will probably pipe in. It’s good you asked here before your purchase it helps a lot of people

watchyouwant and shah@123 like this.
  6. gbesq Feb 12, 2020

B3D06631-031A-46EB-AECE-16191581A61C.jpeg
    Genèves can be very good watches, particularly those from the 1950s, when they were second only to the Constellation in Omega’s lineup. Above is a photo of my 1958 reference 2981. Omega positioned later model Genèves as entry level watches in its lineup. Generally, a vintage Seamaster in good condition will be of more interest to a collector than a late model Genève..

Spruce likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 12, 2020

What dollars?

Australian? Canadian? US? Fijian? Singaporean? etc etc

Probably articles written by dickheads.
    Most of the time they were identical except for the stamp in the caseback and the writing on the dial, and sometmes you got lucky and got a "Seamaster Gèneve".

Spruce likes this.
  8. shah@123 Feb 12, 2020

American Dollars --- Thanks for all the info

9. Dan S Feb 12, 2020

The OVD is not complete and each reference has multiple dial variations. Also, the OVD generally has an extra zero after the ".", so that's normal. However, the watch appears to be a 166.070, not 166.040, so you seem a bit confused.

Anyway, based on those photos, I don't see any obvious problems with the watch, and $500 USD doesn't sound outrageous to me. So if you like it and feel comfortable with the seller, then buy it. In some ways, Geneve models were entry-level pieces because they generally had basic case designs. However, they often had excellent movements and attractive dials. It's mainly a matter of personal taste and what appeals to you.

As mentioned above, by doing more research, you will eventually develop enough knowledge to be confident in purchasing online. You had some push-back in this thread, because this is a community of collectors, we are not paid to evaluate watches and give advice to strangers. So people will be more likely to help if you engage with the community, introduce yourself, and develop some relationships.

There are also watches for sale by OF members in the Private Sales section. Sometimes they are very nice watches because many members are serious collectors, and they are letting go their own watches. You can also research the sellers in the SELLER PROFILES sub-forum.

Edited Feb 12, 2020
    Spruce and Evitzee like this.
  10. shah@123 Feb 12, 2020

Thank you so much for your help. I will definitely look up in the private sales section. Hopefully i will have a vintage omega on my wrist soon