Help identifying a vintage Speedmaster Mk40 175.0084

This is my first ever post here, so please be gentle. I have recently acquired what I have been told is a Mk40 triple date Speedmaster from 1999 reference 175.0084, with tritium markers. I have been trying to look on YouTube through as many reviews as I can find on it and also to read articles to find out more. Finding it a bit confusing. I have seen the same watch as mine, that the reviewer also said is from 1999, but he gives the reference as 3520.50, also tritium. Can anyone please explain the two references for what looks to me to be the same watch. Both watches have the crown aligning with the chronograph start/stop and reset pushers. Both watches are 39mm with 18mm lug width. Are there any differences that I am missing between these two….and the reason for more than one reference number? What makes a Mk40 different from others? Your help much appreciated.

One is the case number and one is a PIC, 2 ways to describe the watch. It was made earlier than 1999, it’s from 1997 at the latest as that’s the last year Omega used tritium. The model was introduced in 1996 btw so it was made between those 2 dates. Though it could have been sold later of course. The dial lume does look like tritium but the hands look maybe more like SL replacements which is what happens at service. They could be tritium though, you’ll know by whether they glow persistently or not.
Edited:

One is the case number and one is a PIC, 2 ways to describe the watch. It was made earlier than 1999, it’s from 1997 at the latest as that’s the last year Omega used tritium. The model was introduced in 1996 btw so it was made between those 2 dates. Though it could have been sold later of course. The dial lume does look like tritium but the hands look maybe more like SL replacements which is what happens at service. They could be tritium though, you’ll know by whether they glow persistently or not.
Thank you so much for your reply, it’s very much appreciated. I know I should just be content with just enjoying wearing this lovely watch, but I also really enjoy knowing more about a watch’s beginnings, so once again thank you. I think you are spot on about the hands, as they are definitely a different colour to the tritium markers and also how they react to light, I will add a photo. I assume my watch is both then a 175.0084 and a 3520.50 maybe?

Yes. The original cards (presumably no longer with the watch) would have shown the PIC, the case number is stamped inside the caseback. I agree, the reaction of those hands suggests later SL lume.

Yes. The original cards (presumably no longer with the watch) would have shown the PIC, the case number is stamped inside the caseback. I agree, the reaction of those hands suggests later SL lume.
This particular watch came as a watch only, but it came from a well-respected seller. This watch for me is a definite keeper, so although it is always preferable to source a full set, I am more than happy to have this one without. The more I wear it, the more I love it.

I must confess that I do have another ‘just watch’ only. Oops. Omega Dynamic from approximately 1969 with its original Corfam strap. The days of the week aren’t in English, so still trying to master the days of the week in Portuguese. I now have more watches that I love than I have wrists.

Great watch! Love the look of the Mk40. 👍👍

Oh, and welcom to Omega Forum! 😀

Great watch! Love the look of the Mk40. 👍👍

Oh, and welcom to Omega Forum! 😀
Thank you for your reply to my post and also thank you for the lovely welcome to the Omega Forum. I am so pleased I joined. I have realised after trying far too many watches on a long watch journey, that the Omega’s from the past are just so comfy on my 7 inch and shaped wrist, they are a joy to wear. I have found what I was always searching for all along, with them. The Omega Seamaster sword hands 2254.50, or it’s blue variant the 2255.80 both with a case diameter of 41mm are good examples of this and are particular beauties in my opinion. My latest vintage one, this Triple Date Speedmaster is 39mm, so smaller case diameter and I know often overshadowed by other more popular variants of Speedmaster, but it feels great on my wrist and it’s definitely a keeper as far as I’m concerned…

Thank you for your reply to my post and also thank you for the lovely welcome to the Omega Forum. I am so pleased I joined. I have realised after trying far too many watches on a long watch journey, that the Omega’s from the past are just so comfy on my 7 inch and shaped wrist, they are a joy to wear. I have found what I was always searching for all along, with them. The Omega Seamaster sword hands 2254.50, or it’s blue variant the 2255.80 both with a case diameter of 41mm are good examples of this and are particular beauties in my opinion. My latest vintage one, this Triple Date Speedmaster is 39mm, so smaller case diameter and I know often overshadowed by other more popular variants of Speedmaster, but it feels great on my wrist and it’s definitely a keeper as far as I’m concerned…
I could not agree more! 😀 Here are my 2254.
I have been looking at the Mk40 for years especialy the one with screw down caseback and the moon shaped date pointer, for some reason. I like the complcationes and the angeled bezel, truly cool watches. But I am a bit put off by the servicing cost and the fact that I dont really need a chronograph.

I have been looking at the Mk40 for years especialy the one with screw down caseback and the moon shaped date pointer, for some reason. I like the complcationes and the angeled bezel, truly cool watches. But I am a bit put off by the servicing cost and the fact that I dont really need a chronograph.
The service cost actually isn't all that horrible on the Date or Triple date Speedies. The movement is a modified Valjoux 7750 (or 7751 in fact) and most decent watchmakers should be able to handle it so unlike the Reduced models (which I never shut up about how much I hate) these can be serviced without too much fuss.

The service cost actually isn't all that horrible on the Date or Triple date Speedies. The movement is a modified Valjoux 7750 (or 7751 in fact) and most decent watchmakers should be able to handle it so unlike the Reduced models (which I never shut up about how much I hate) these can be serviced without too much fuss.
Shut up! I dont need a chronograph I said! 😉

Love your Peter Blake Seamaster, no wonder you know how great they are 😀…. As for cost of a service for my triple date Speedmaster, you are absolutely right, if it’s by Omega costs are eye watering and I also, like you, don’t really have a need for a chronometer. Fun now to boil an egg though

Love your Peter Blake Seamaster, no wonder you know how great they are 😀…. As for cost of a service for my triple date Speedmaster, you are absolutely right, if it’s by Omega costs are eye watering and I also, like you, don’t really have a need for a chronometer. Fun now to boil an egg though
Oops….meant to say chronograph

Thanks, Chronographs are more expencive to service at Omega, but I think we should listen to Padders advice.

Thanks, Chronographs are more expencive to service at Omega, but I think we should listen to Padders advice.
Completely agree. Padders advice is absolutely spot on