Forums Latest Members

Some help required identifying a vintage OMEGA please.

1. Dave G Mar 28, 2024

Hi everyone,

I have finally had a moment to go through some of the old boxes from my Dad's place. I have found an Omega marked gold watch with an elastic band which I thought to be my dads due to the engraved signature but I think it may be older than that and Likely my grandfathers as he had the same name.

I actually just set the time and gave it a wind and it is moving nice and smoothly for something that probably hasn't been touched for nearly 30 years.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has any advice on how to best clean it up that would be great to. There is heaps of crud inside the band and I don't want to damage anything.

3 photos of the watch, and a few photos of the family history which is part of a memorial park where both my dad and grandfather are named..

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 6.jpg 4.jpg 7.jpg 5.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 28, 2024

G'day Dave, greetings from an ex South Aussie.

Nice watch, although looking a bit tired it has "honest wear" and was obviously worn quite regularly.
    I suspect by the design of the caseback that the case is an Australian manufactured one (possibly Handley).

To find out more about the watch, have a read here (ignore the fake info, your watch is genuine).

https://omegaforums.net/threads/how-do-i-identify-my-vintage-omega-watch.93146/

PS: I remember driving to Bordertown to get a proper South Aussie pastie when I was based in Victoria many years ago.

Dave G likes this.
  3. Dave G Mar 28, 2024

Thank you for that link Jim. I don't have the skills or the tools to open it up so it looks like i'm in need of a reputable watch maker. Ahh, the suspense is killing me already.

I am not a huge fan of the band and I think I would prefer a nice tan leather band which I am sure will look amazing once it's all polished up. I am very much looking forward to wearing this one.

4. DON Mar 28, 2024

Remove the lug killer bracelet, but appears damage done

get a jewellers rouge cloth and give it a light polish

5. fiberguy Mar 28, 2024

You definitely want to get that flexi-bracelet off the watch, from the pics it looks like its really eroding the metal away on the lugs.

6. Dave G Mar 28, 2024

So I got the watch casing open with the rubber ball technique. It was surpisingly very easy.

My phone can't take a high enough resolution image to properly show. But the details are below.

Watch back

O.A. 135 955

Movement

Seventeen
    17 Jewels

Omega

1.1.jpg 1.2.jpg
  7. Dan S Mar 28, 2024

Great to have a piece of family history like this.

The problem with the photos is that your camera is focusing on the background instead of the watch. If you touch the screen, the camera will usually focus in the region that you tapped.

But anyway, those numbers give you the information you need: reference number, gold content of the case, serial number of the movement, and the movement caliber. The serial number suggests a production date circa 1965.

Mark020 and JimInOz like this.
  8. Dave G Mar 28, 2024

That worked a treat. Cheers.

1000002878.jpg 1000002877.jpg
  9. SOG53 Mar 28, 2024

Once that gets cleaned and serviced with a new crystal and new leather bracelet will look wonderful. Great and wearable heirloom a very good Omega movement. Dont forget to show us the post cleanup version

Dave G likes this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 28, 2024

11. Dave G Mar 28, 2024

That explains the JW inscribed on the inside of the case. Thanks all.

FYI, it's keeping pretty good time so far.

There are a couple of Omega pocket/nurse style time pieces there also. They would have been my grandmothers from her time serving in WWII. They are bundled up in a draw somewhere. Once I move into the new house I will find them again.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 28, 2024

While it may be keeping good time, it's also quite possible it's wearing out parts due to the lubricants having evaporated many years ago.
    The fine "axles" running in dry jewels can cause significant wear, sometimes irreversible.

I'd recommend not running the watch until youve had a chance to get it properly serviced.

13. Dave G Mar 28, 2024

Cheers for the advice, I will let this wind finish up and take it in for a Service ASAP.

14. Dave G Apr 16, 2024

Hi again, I took the watch into a local watchmaker/repairer to get a quote. Just wanting an opinion on the estimate.

-Maintenance service of mechanism.
    -Omega service kit (crown, case tube, plexi ring glass, gaskets)
    -$1060.00 inc GST
    + $54.95 for a basic leather strap.

I was shown a nice Omega crocodile strap but that was $450.00.

The watch obviously holds sentimental value but I could get something pretty nice again for $1100.00 ish. And then thinking that the watch will need further servicing over the years I am just trying to think of the pro's vs the con's. What will it even be worth in good working condition?

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 16, 2024

I realise there is more than pure money at stake with this but in your situation I’d think twice before spending $1500 on a watch worth maybe $1k AUD even when fixed up. There are other cheaper independent servicing options, you could investigate those, forget the stupidly priced OEM straps and get it tidied up for rather less.

Edited Apr 16, 2024
  16. Dan S Apr 16, 2024

I don't think we can help you with this. We don't know how much sentimental value it has and we also don't know your financial situation. It won't be worth anything close to $1100 AUD once repaired, but that's irrelevant, IMO.

X350 XJR and Mark020 like this.
  17. SOG53 Apr 16, 2024

Sounds like you need another watchmaker for basic service and new strap- forget about Omega strap not worth it. Someone here should be able to guide you to a reasonable reliable watchmaker. I would hope you can get it done for half that estimate.

18. DON Apr 16, 2024

A service for a simple movement like that which appears to be 8/9/10 condition could be about $150 - $200

Don't need a signed crown and again. Current looks fine

Crystal looks like a squeezed in type and not a press fit and a generic is about $10.00 Generic press in maybe $25

Case tube. Can't see. Generic gasket is what? $.10, $.20

Did you say anything about family history or family heirloom? Sounds like a sap tax

Guy was going to hose you

All in if no parts on the movement need replacing is maybe $250

If you can't find anyone close to you. It might require you to ship it out for service

SOG53 likes this.
  19. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 16, 2024

He's talking in AUD Don so I suspect your figures may be a tad low as the Dollaryidoo is a lot weaker than the Trumpbuck at present.