Forums Latest Members
  1. Grant Swanby Dec 30, 2021

I received this watch from my dad. I haven't opened the back as I dont know how. The back is plain gold (plate I think). Any info would be great, is it authentic, date model even value, although it is of huge sentimental value in any case. It also has a mark on the side. Thanks Grant

20211230_211427.jpg 20211230_210924.jpg 20211230_114524.jpg
  2. Conaire McNeary Dec 30, 2021

I am not sure as I am no expert on Omega. It does look lovely and my advice would be to get it serviced by a good watchmaker and they will tell you the model number which is likely printed on the case back. A bit of poly watch on the Crystal would really help to show off that lovely dial.

3. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 30, 2021

I would not start with a service. Start with opening the watch and tell us what you see

4. Grant Swanby Dec 30, 2021

I dont know how to open it...

5. Conaire McNeary Dec 30, 2021

It’s likely a snap on caseback and can be opened with a caseback knife. If you don’t know what you are doing you can scrape the watch and caseback easily. My advice would be to pop into a local reputable jeweller and ask them to pop the caseback off for you. They should only charge you a couple of pounds for this. Once you examine the info on the caseback you can snap it shut yourself.

Mark020 likes this.
  6. Biezmez Dec 30, 2021

Hi Grant
    You’re a lucky guy. You’ve inherited a lovely omega watch. All the info you need is on the inside of the watch. You’ve got plenty of time, so no need to rush anything.
    My first suggestion is to go to a local watch repairer and get them to open the watch for you.
    Although it’s a bit difficult to see from the pictures it looks like you have a very nice, original Omega calibre 30T2 rose gold watch from the 1940’s(you’ll be able to check this from the movement number in the watch once you open the back). The mark on the side is most likely a gold mark for the watch(I would expect 9ct - again this can be confirmed when you open the watch).
    It all looks nice and original.
    Take som pictures of the movement and the inside of the back of the back of the watch and we’ll be able to help you a lot more.
    Regards
    Chris

Edited Dec 30, 2021
    Mark020 likes this.
  7. Dan S Dec 30, 2021

It looks like the opening for a case knife is readily visible just above the crown at about the 2 o'clock position. By the hallmark.

8. Grant Swanby Dec 30, 2021

Thanks so much