Forums Latest Members
  1. ilayd Feb 26, 2020

Hi all, my coworker has brought in his farther's old Omega in the hopes that we can better identify which model it is.

First, here is some information I know or was able to find in my search:
    - watch appears to be 33-34mm in diameter
    - manual wind movement
    - small seconds at 6 o'clock
    - leaf style hands
    - applied Omega logo and hour markers (double batton 12 o'clock)
    - could not locate any hallmarks (now assuming it is either gold filled or plated, unless the hallmark is somewhere on the inside of the lug that is difficult to see)
    - unusual case back - I could not locate another example of this case back in my online search (all the ones I've found were flat), therefore assuming it has been replaced.

With above information, I was not able to pinpoint the exact model but found similar looking examples, such as the Omega 14391 or the Tresor OT 2687. Because the watch is so thin, I am leaning that it is some sort of variant of the Tresor. Also, based on the searches I've found, it appears to be 1950s, maybe early 1960s design.

The watch was serviced approximately 5 years ago, and my coworker does not know which parts have been replaced, if at all. He does know that the watch band has been replaced (and unfortunately the location of the original Omega buckle is unknown). Likewise, the plexi crystal was replaced as well (I could not see an Omega logo on that, if one ever came with it). We did not want to try to pry open the case back without proper tools, so we cannot check the caseback for information (although if replaced as suspected, it would not likely yield us any information).

Can anyone figure out which model Omega this is? And whether you see parts which were replaced with incorrect ones.

Here are some pictures of the watch.

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

Thank you for your help!

2. TexOmega Feb 26, 2020

Might not have a specific name. Lots of entry level watches were made to a price point by every manufacture.

A bit unique to not have a sweep second hand, love that, plus the minute and hour hands.

ilayd likes this.
  3. ilayd Feb 26, 2020

When I was searching around I either found a central second hand or recessed sub dial at 6 oclock. Not many small seconds at 6 that were same height as the dial itself.

Although I am no expert, the dial does not appear to be redialed based on my in-person observation. The font is just too crisp and the minute markers are very uniform. Actually looks better in person than in the photos (using a cell phone).

4. ChrisN Feb 26, 2020

I serviced a similar Omega cal 510 in a 9ct D.S & S case a few years ago. The back had similarities to yours and it was a very thin case and movement. That one ran very nicely and was a lovely watch.

I suspect this is out of the same mould, as it were, if that helps your search.

Cheers, Chris

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 26, 2020

Looks like a mid 1950s Jonell cased (US market) watch likely containing a caliber 410 movement.

WatchCor, UncleBuck, ICONO and 2 others like this.
  6. ilayd Feb 26, 2020

Thanks guys for additional leads, this will give us something more to try and look up. Assuming his father did not get this watch imported, then it is more likely to be the US market Jonell case.

7. DON Feb 26, 2020

Need to pop the back off to get the reference number of the case if actually an Omega one. Then you can search on it

DON

8. janice&fred Feb 26, 2020

you sure about that dial not being refinished?

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 26, 2020

I'm not.

(I mean not not, I'm sure it has).

Dan S likes this.
  10. ilayd Feb 26, 2020

Since I am not familiar with the dials of that watch, I cannot say whether it was or not. I can say that it does look pretty sharp and lines are consistent. And even more so in person than on the photos. I had to zoom on the phone to get close ups which is making it appear more choppy. Im going to bring my macro lens clip tomorrow and retake the photos so that those who know better than I can see whether it was redone or not.

11. OMEGuy Feb 26, 2020

This time I think it has only been cleaned, not refinished.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 26, 2020

To my eyes, the Omega is centred too far to the left and the 12, 3, 4 and 5 markers don't align over the minute hashes.
    Better photos will tell.

Although not foolproof, drawing a line through both centre pivots (main and sub seconds) gives us a centre reference.

A box around the Omega gives another reference.

Of course, there may be some skewing if the photo is not at absolute dead centre above the dial, but not to this degree IMO.

IMG_0343.jpg

Edited Feb 26, 2020
  13. OMEGuy Feb 26, 2020

The discentered OMEGA can be found on other watches as well. The font looks legit and period correct.

The minute track looks bold, but this might result from cleaning.

The inside of the "OMEGA" and some areas near the hour markers are yellowish, not as white as the rest of the dial.

No redial would create this remaining patina IMO.

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 26, 2020

See my edit, I added more info.

15. OMEGuy Feb 26, 2020

Yes, interesting point. But I assume the positions of the markers are fix and correct, so if you turn the picture a few degrees to 12 o'clock of your crosshair, the OMEGA will be much more fine?

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 26, 2020

Still not enough in my view. The stem of the letter E is still too far left.

IMG_0343.jpg

17. janice&fred Feb 26, 2020

that along with what looks like old glue residue at the applied omega symbol and on the side of some of the applied markers.

18. ilayd Feb 26, 2020

There is some yellowing behind the OMEGA wording that is visible to the naked eye that isn't really noticed much elsewhere on the dial.

Its also possible that some of the yellowing around the markers are actually shadowing from the light source which was coming out of the window. I did not notice that when I looked at it originally. And it was quite possible that the shot was not dead center from the front.

When I retake the photos tomorrow with the macro, I'll try to have it in better lighting as well.

OMEGuy likes this.
  19. ilayd Feb 26, 2020

Where is the stem of E supposed to land normally in relation to the center of the dial?

20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 26, 2020

Agree, plus the font appears out of square, with the A end being much higher than the O.

Not to say it couldn't have been made this way, just a suspicious trait.

Seemingly bold, dark print with alignment issues bringing about redial questions would be critical on some pieces but would it make a difference to your friend about his Father's?

X350 XJR and JiminOz are normally spot-on and I feel they are in this case.

As far as reference, We would love to see inside but I bet we won't find an Omega reference number.

May I ask why you feel the caseback hes been replaced?
    Can you imagine trying to find one to fit that?

Your friend has a beauty that will need to be opened up and serviced anyway, please let us know what you find.