Forums Latest Members
  1. Revo Jan 1, 2022

2022 is going to be the year I don’t buy a single watch. However, I’ve always wanted a Speedmaster -- but could never afford one. Then in the closing days of last year I was offered a 145.022 from 1980 (cal. 861; movement number 4482xxxx). And it was cheap. In fact, it was an offer too good to refuse. But it has issues: some signs of past moisture damage and the wrong caseback (“145.002” and underneath that “345.002” – but I confess to not knowing what that means). On the plus side the case is unpolished, it has a nice tritium dial and the original bracelet. So at last -- one in my price range! Reader, you'll be delighted to know that I bought it. (The seller was an absolute gent by the way.)

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 5.25.27 AM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 1.07.12 PM.jpeg

It arrived yesterday. New Year’s Eve 2021. Like a goal deep in extra time: my last watch purchase for at least 12 months. And I love it.

But guess what? This morning, having had it for about 19 hours, I dropped it. It’s stopped. I’m assuming it’s the balance staff. But I am so disappointed. And it’s completely my own stupid fault.

Here’s hoping it’s an easy (and inexpensive) fix.

What a crappy start to 2022. But, hey, it’s only a watch. I’m healthy. I have great friends and family, a nice home, a good job. God loves me.

Still, my long-awaited, and very newly-acquired Speedy is dead.

Anyone know of a watchmaker in the UK who could have a look at it?

Thanks – and Happy New Year!

Elitr6, Flatfoot, pmontoyap and 13 others like this.
  2. Canuck Jan 1, 2022

A watch that has been to the moon and back, numerous times! It stopped because you dropped it? On the first day in your possession? For shame!

YurRomeo1 and Duracuir1 like this.
  3. Revo Jan 1, 2022

Yeah, don't rub it in already. I feel bad enough as it is.

Maybe with 1/6th gravity I'd have got away with it?

RogerL and Duracuir1 like this.
  4. M'Bob Jan 1, 2022

Can’t help with the recommendation, but can offer my sympathy. That sucks.

Duracuir1 and Revo like this.
  5. aggie Jan 1, 2022

Very bad luck indeed! But it certainly can be fixed. Don't panic!

6. offrdmania Jan 1, 2022

Send it over to Tanner at TM Watch for a full service and refurbish.

Revo likes this.
  7. pmontoyap Jan 1, 2022

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Do you have an idea of the service history? If you plan to wear it often you might consider doing a full service with the money saved during the acquisition. I am afraid that any watchmaker will be recommending this, and unfortunately it will not be cheap, specially if the balance spring was damaged with the blow.

Revo likes this.
  8. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jan 1, 2022

::facepalm1:: Ollie please stop taking off the watch to admire it! Hope you find someone to get it sorted reasonably. Congrats btw, it looks a good size for your wrist.

Revo and Syrte like this.
  9. KeithS Jan 1, 2022

Ouch!! Maybe the watch gods were punishing you for foolishly thinking you could avoid their mechanical temptations for an entire year. It sucks now, obviously. But in a few months, you'll have both a funny story and a fantastic watch.

Revo likes this.
  10. NotAClue Jan 1, 2022

It’s a lovely watch! Congrats! Get it serviced as soon as your wallet allows you and in the meantime use as it is (no winding!). Who needs a watch to tell time anyway?? ::bleh::

Edited Jan 1, 2022
    Wryfox, Eddy350 and Revo like this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 1, 2022

Amazing, in all the years of the forum I think you are the first to drop their Speedy. :D I am sure you are suffering enough. Get it fixed and don’t look back.
    In the mean time, No soup for you. ::facepalm2::

Enchanted, Syrte and Revo like this.
  12. TheGreekPhysique Jan 1, 2022

Can’t help with a recommendation but hope the fix isn’t too costly and fingers crossed it will be back with you soon!

Revo likes this.
  13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 1, 2022

I’ve done that, dropped my just purchased 44 Elgin UDT watch the day I bought it. I was a while getting that corrected but in the end it was fine.

so get it fixed and stop dropping it!

beautiful watch by the way.

Revo likes this.
  14. Dan S Jan 1, 2022

Bummer!

Revo likes this.
  15. JwRosenthal Jan 1, 2022

I dropped a 7733 chrono as I was unwrapping the package - the tissue unraveled in my hands and of course it was over the the kitchen floor :whipped:

Was running apparently when it was shipped- but now freshly serviced, so win-win!
    You would have worn that watch for a while doing horrible damage to the movement since it hadn’t been serviced in decades (just tell yourself that) so the much needed service is now going to be done.
    Congrats on your prize, just delayed gratification.

Revo likes this.
  16. Davidt Jan 1, 2022

Try WatchGuy or Mitka.

simomega and Revo like this.
  17. UWG Jan 1, 2022

Happy new year and congrats to your amazing watch.
    It seems like you added a new chapter to the history/ story of that watch. Now ist is really yours!
    Let it have a good service and enjoy.

18. Walrus Jan 1, 2022

That’s sad sorry to hear I’m kinda surprised though cause if watches regularly stopped from a normal like waist or chest high drop I think I’d only have two running watches. I knocked over an open watch box when I was putting in some shelving stupid I know but they came through it ok

19. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Jan 1, 2022

Hilts likes this.
  20. Davidt Jan 1, 2022

Yup, I forgot to put Simon in the list but should probably be top of the list for a vintage Speedmaster in the UK

p4ul likes this.