Forums Latest Members
  1. Eazypz Jan 23, 2022

Hi all
    Have just joined the forum and this is my first post.

I'm looking to buy my first Omega, a tritium speedie, and the older the better. Prefer a nice patina, or a piece that will develop it over time.

I've read quite a bit of material on here already, and checked out the speedmaster 101 for guidance, but am still a little unsure as to how much to pay for one and whether this one that I've seen is a decent piece.

I know I'm not fussed about the original bracelet, as for me, the speedie is a strap monster.

I've shortlisted this one below. The dial and hands appear to be in good shape, as does the case. The insert appears to have some damage, but not a huge amount, and I assume the outer steel ring which is dinged is easily replaced?
    Movement looks like the correct 861 for a 145.022-71ST, which will need a service.

[​IMG]

Thoughts and help please! I'm UK based, and asking is £3500.

2. sleepyastronaut Jan 23, 2022

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Does this price chart help?

https://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 23, 2022

That dial is correct for a 71

a better and correct insert will run you over 1.5k at this point….

looks fine to me and the price seems legit. Do you have movement shots? What is the serial number?

4. Eazypz Jan 23, 2022

Thanks, I did see the price chart, however, I've noticed that UK prices are generally more expensive than US ones, so a bit harder to correlate.

Movement shot:
    [​IMG]
    image uploader

Didn’t realise new bezels were that much, may be worth holding off for a better piece in that case?
    As mentioned in my first post, it appears most of the damage is to the steel outer ring.
    Is it similar to Rolex where the bezel can be changed with the same insert used? I don’t know if they are seperate pieces or not?

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 23, 2022

It’s not a new bezel. It’s a correct bezel for that reference. They have changed the fonts on them multiple times since the watch was made. The correct bezel is called a DNN bezel and went from mid 69 to the early 80’s. They are hard to find in excellent condition.

movement appears as expected in a 71. Why do you think it needs a service?

6. gbesq Jan 23, 2022

As Foo2rama notes, the biggest liability on the watch is an incorrect bezel insert. The rest of the watch looks good to me. An alternative suggestion would be a reference 3590.50. You should be able to get a completely correct and very nice example of that reference for about the same money that you would be paying for this watch. The 3590.50 doesn't have the step dial that the 145.022-71 has, but it does have the same 861 movement and tritium lume that tends to patinate to a beautiful pumpkin shade. It also has one of the better Speedmaster bracelets, the fully brushed 1479/812. You say that you prefer straps, but you could easily sell the 1479 bracelet for good money and thereby reduce your total outlay for the watch.
    [​IMG]

Edited Jan 23, 2022
    Eazypz and hanky6 like this.
  7. Eazypz Jan 23, 2022

Needs a service as it currently has chrono creep.

Thanks for the recommendation on the other reference, however, I think it’s the step dial that really sings to me.
    But as always, affordability is everything, so may be the better option.

Thanks for the help, it’s all a big learning curve!
    Have now familiarised myself with the correct bezel, so will give this one a miss and notice it next time.

8. sleepyastronaut Jan 23, 2022

One point of reference I've read, if a watch goes for $1000 in the US it will go for roughly £1000 in GB, and vice versa

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 23, 2022

I highly disagree with that statement, it hasn’t been like that for years, and Brexit only made it more untrue.

10. sleepyastronaut Jan 23, 2022

Cool.

So I'm just passing along information I've read, you can disagree all you want. A constructive response might include some other way to normalize the discrepancy in price, but I haven't yet seen one.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 23, 2022

How do I know….

1)A simple review of asking prices on UK resellers vs US resellers clearly shows.

2)a simple review of eBay,

3)a simple review of the sales section on this forum.

4)me watching prices for over a decade and comparing them to the current exchange rate…

4)I’ve not seen any evidence otherwise, I’m Fact I’ve seen lots of comments esp after Brexit from UK members lamenting this.

I’m glad you read it somewhere from someone who repeated it from sometime it was true like a decade ago…

Current data clearly shows otherwise…

in fact that 3,500 or so speedy in this thread which after you adjust for exchange rate is clearly around 5k usd which is wait for it….

the expected price for this piece…

Huge surprise I know when the evidence is clearly in this thread and with every other watch I’ve seen marketed out of the UK.

What is your evidence outside of you read it somewhere?

For the record I love the Moser in your avatar.

Edited Jan 23, 2022
    jaguar11 likes this.
  12. sleepyastronaut Jan 23, 2022

Cool, you win

13. Eazypz Jan 24, 2022

This was the other piece I had shortlisted. It’s a 145.022 also, but the caseback doesn’t state the year, is they normal?

From what I can see, this bezel is correct and in good condition, and serial puts it at 1969?
    Comes with the original bracelet and is the same price as the previous one, however, no stepped dial.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the help this far.

14. gbesq Jan 24, 2022

A ‘69 would have a step dial. What are the first two digits of the serial number? I’m having some trouble seeing it clearly on the movement photo.

15. Eazypz Jan 24, 2022

First five digits are 31617.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 24, 2022

post Sept 1977 dial case from early 80’s…

with a 69 serial…. You do the math.

Eazypz, gbesq and iamvr like this.
  17. Eazypz Jan 24, 2022

Case closed!
    Thanks for all the pointers on what to look out for, hopefully ill be able to vet them better myself going forward.

18. Eazypz Feb 28, 2022

Right, reviving this as I'm still on the hunt!

The watch at the beginning of this thread is still available, and I've managed to find a correct bezel for it. I've been looking at 3590.50s as well, and have found one that I may buy if this doesnt work, but I definitely prefer step dials.
    The UK market for watches in general is dire, with dealers over inflating prices.

Now, this looks correct to me, but just wanted confirmation please:

[​IMG]

With the correct bezel, I'd mark this as VG on SM101.com at 5500? So if I could get both together for roughly around that price, I'd be happy.

One other question, the dial lume appears to have no discolouration, and I'm wondering if the lume has completely come off the dial hence no patina, which is a big no no for me.

Thoughts much appreciated!