Having a hard time buying a no date watch.

I have been looking for a GADA watch lately, as I wear my watches sparingly and mostly on the weekends I sometimes feel like it’s a pain to set the date so I have been looking at no date watches.
I do have some no date watches but dates were not options for them.
When it comes to watches that have a date option that is what I gravitate towards.
I am not trying to fill a gap in the collection, I am mostly contemplating my next watch.

In this case a Railmaster vs an Aqua Terra (most likely this) or IWC mark 18 or JLC master control date.

Does anyone else have a problem pulling the plug on no date watches?

I have equal problem acquiring vintage watches with date features which is a watch function I particularly loathe. I don't want to consult the date function. Don't like setting it. Don't like it cluttering and adulterating an otherwise attractive dial. Did I mention that I don't value the date function?

I won't ever purchase a new watch having a date feature.

Let’s set up a poll! Yes or No for a date function. I must have a date function on my watches. The one I’m wearing today doesn’t have a date function. But I’ll be changing it tomorrow for one that does!

No for me.

The two watches I wear the most are my Speedy and a DS1, so both mechanicals without date. I do like my Seamaster, but it is a bit of a hassle setting the date as I don’t wear it much (especially as it doesn’t have a quick set date function). My phone tells me the date (and the day if I’m particularly brain dead ) 🙄

I have 3 no-date watches in my collection (a Speedmaster, a Seamaster 300 MC, and a Rolex Explorer) and a single date watch (a Formex Reef). I would prefer the Reef had no date as well.

So I have no problem at all pulling the plug on a no-date watch - in fact, I prefer them that way. I feel the dial is more balanced and I so rarely have to write the date on a check or a document anymore, it’s easy enough to pull out my phone.

I think all watches should come with a no-date option.

If I like a watch, I like it. If a date or day/date is integrated well into the overall watch and there is (to my tastes) a pleasing marriage of form and function(s) then as far as I'm concerned, it's all good.

My modest collection (excluding two solar Casios) is 5 dates, 3 day/dates and 2 no dates.
Edited:

Couldn't care less if it has a date or not. Curiously, if you don't wear them everyday, why do you need a date? If they're primarily weekend watches and you have to set the time and date, which can be a pain, why not make life simpler?

Most of my watches are vintage no date models, but all four watches that I have with a date feature (two vintage, two modern) also have a quick set feature. My daily wearer, an Omega SMPc, has a date feature which I do find useful.

When the day/date is done “right,” which is of course utterly subjective, I don’t mind it. Most of my watches have the date, three are day-date. However, I’m partial to my three handers. Love the dial simplicity. I have a Jungans, two Omegas, and two Hamiltons with no date and they’re great watches.
I’m likely to snag a trilogy Railmaster if I find one for the right price. Can’t stop admiring it. The BB58 yells at me as well. Beautiful no-date diver.

The closer I get to retirement, the less I care about the date.

My collection includes date, day/date and no date. I agree with @Mouse_at_Large, if I like and enjoy a watch, it doesn't matter what date complications are present. My preference is a no day/date - prefer a clean dial. LOL- if I need to know the date, I consult my phone. And TBH, the only time I really fuss with the day/date is when I am posting on OF. 👍

For me it’s not so much about the clutter on the dial- which I agree, some watches lose their balance with a date window, but some it looks right at home.
I rotate watches regularly so setting the date is always part of donning a watch- and sometimes when I am just not feeling it, I will intentionally grab a no-date just so I can give a quick wind and set and slap it on. I have gotten rid of all the slow sets in my collection but one (my 1500 OPD), and I don’t wear it much…but at least that one you can go backwards. Having to go through 24 hours for 28 days of the months at 5am is a deal breaker for me

When I decide to wear a watch that has a date function I set the time, wind it up, and put it on. I do not use the date so I see no need to set it. I was at a wedding a few years ago and our table had a few people who were into watches. One looked at my Speedmaster, made a few comments, went to hand it back to me, and quickly pulled it back. He noticed the date was off and refused to hand me the watch back until he had set it to the proper date. That was 3+ years ago, and the last time that particular watch showed the correct date when I was wearing it. 😁

Reading your question and the background, if you don't wear the watches daily or often and in this case say mostly on the weekend then I imagine the date or no date is irrelevant. So why not get a no date watch? Since it sounds like you don't need the date complication and even if the watch had a date, just set the time and why bother to set the date? Or if you are bothered by watches with the date not being set correctly consider a winder. My.02.

You could always pick up something with a really, really big power reserve. But, that might limit you to IWC, Oris, and Panerai.

if everything equals, i will choose the reference with NO date function
if there must be a date function, i prefer the the one with subdial / retrograde / date rim (or date hands) rather than date window
if there must be a date window, i prefer without the cyclop

I absolutely look for a date complication. I sign a good amount of documents and it’s always nice and convenient to simple tilt the wrist and you have it right there.

The reason I keep choosing dates is that if they get worn past a weekend (which does not happen often) then I like to know the date.
For me and my type of usage I know a no date makes more sense, I however have a hard time pulling the trigger on a no date.

For me it’s not so much about the clutter on the dial- which I agree, some watches lose their balance with a date window, but some it looks right at home.
I rotate watches regularly so setting the date is always part of donning a watch- and sometimes when I am just not feeling it, I will intentionally grab a no-date just so I can give a quick wind and set and slap it on. I have gotten rid of all the slow sets in my collection but one (my 1500 OPD), and I don’t wear it much…but at least that one you can go backwards. Having to go through 24 hours for 28 days of the months at 5am is a deal breaker for me
My sentiments echo this comment almost to a T. My one slow set is a 50s Tissot, and it was a total game changer when I discovered it could set backwards as well as forwards!