Having a hard time buying a no date watch.

I actively look for watches without date complication.
If it has to be present, I strongly prefer date window at 6 instead of 3.
I love my PO but I would love way more without date function. It's completely illegible for me (blue 39.5). I would pay for a modified dial with date window covered with index 3. Please, someone make one for me! 😀

When I bought my first couple of automatics, I bought a watch winder so the time/date was always set and I didn't have to wind it. After doing this for a couple of weeks, it stopped making sense. Why keep a motor running on a watch movement for a week on a winder - just that much closer to service time. So I gave up on setting the date, which honestly has become hard to read without my cheater glasses. So now it doesn't matter. I have watches with and without the date, but don't bother setting it. Wind, set the time and go!

A lot of my vintage pieces have a date complication. With those that don’t have quickset date, I tend to let them be until the date after what’s showing, so I can set both time and date with minimum fuss.

I’d love to be that guy that just sets the time and ignores the date. But I am not he.

No problem with picking up a dateless watch for me.
Half of my watches in my pared down collection are dateless and looking at another to completely round out my collection.
The first dateless watch I had bought in decades was purchased in 2005(i think?).
It's endeared itself so much I couldn't possibly let it go.
The last two watches I've picked up over the last few years are dateless😀

I'm at a loss to understand the OP's point...he wants a no-date watch, but he is drawn to date watches, and 3 of the 4 he's contemplating have dates?!? Please clarify.

For me, I don't have an aesthetic objection to a date indicator, but in the morning when I'm setting a date watch, in many cases there's a 50-50 chance it will be incorrect after lunch. How do you all deal with this? I suppose you could set time by spinning the hour hand forward through at least one and often two 12 oclock transitions (and then another 7ish hours)? I'm a little too hurried/lazy for that most mornings.

I just use a winder for the watches in my normal rotation, no need to worry about setting time or date when i pick which one to wear 😀

For a manual watch though, I'd probably gravitate more towards no-date, but its not a deal breaker for me.

while i am on team no-date for aesthetics. d balance on a dial, the date feature is probably the most useful complication for me. but only with a quickset function. my fingers do not enjoy setting these manual dates.

i've gotten around this by buying multiple vintage watches so there is bound to be at least one that's close to the current date.

I'm at a loss to understand the OP's point...he wants a no-date watch, but he is drawn to date watches, and 3 of the 4 he's contemplating have dates?!? Please clarify.

For me, I don't have an aesthetic objection to a date indicator, but in the morning when I'm setting a date watch, in many cases there's a 50-50 chance it will be incorrect after lunch. How do you all deal with this? I suppose you could set time by spinning the hour hand forward through at least one and often two 12 oclock transitions (and then another 7ish hours)? I'm a little too hurried/lazy for that most mornings.
I always set to the previous date and then wind forward. And I wish I could be as relaxed as a previous poster who stated that he didn’t really care what the date said so long as the time was correct 😀

And this just occurred to me. I’ve heard that it’s best practice to use push button date quick sets only when both hands are in the southern hemisphere of the watch face (this might be a Seiko thing - and it’s definitely only a mechanical thing). Regardless, passing it along.

While I do really like the execution of the date windows on vintage Omegas, especially those from the 60s with faceted frames, I also appreciate the simplicity of the time-only models. Personally, I've noticed that the time-only references seem to be slightly rarer than those equipped with the date complications. I've wondered if this was because the date function was more popular at the time or because collectors seem to hold onto time-only models more often. It could also be both factors at play, but regardless of the reason(s), their rarity does boost my satisfaction a little bit when I find a nice time-only in good condition.

connieT.JPG

yes, me too lacks the patience to set dates and time. in fact, i have not been tuning time and date for many years already, and been used to just pick and wear a watch dailly like a jewelry. with my celphone, doesn't matter if i wear an auto-date or manual date. but, i prefer manual-no date.

upload_2021-8-16_11-44-5.png
Edited:

No date for me please, unless it takes a battery. I have an F300 with a date complication.

I prefer a clean dial but need the date. I know my phone has the date put it has the time as well. My memory is quite poor I may need to pick up a watch that includes the year if things progress although I do look forward to the day I don’t have to worry about knowing the date.

I prefer a date option for use during work days. It’s why I usually save my speedy for the weekend…But I think it depends on the watch, with the Sub I prefer the no date version over the date version on every model.

I don't really have much a preference to be honest unless the date window sticks out like a sore thumb. (Looking at you, Mido Commander Shade PVD.) I almost never use the date function and don't always set it on my watches before wearing them.

No date = no deal for me. It's the primary reason I still don't own a Speedy (but I will once I can afford a GSotM or similar).

I love the date. I look at the date way more than I ever thought I needed to, I rarely wear my Speedy because of it and at this point a no-date is a deal breaker. In fact the date window is most of the reason I bought the newest SMP300, because of the way the light reflects off the dial but not the date window, I loved that.

If you are discombobulated by the date setting lottery on a normal watch, just get a 24hr Glycine Airman.

Problem solved 😁

I guess the Speedmaster got me into manual winds and no date / watches in general. If the asthetic works it works (A Lange Sohne one or Railmaster for example). I guess over time I have been drawn towards cleaner / simpler designs... which is a contradiction when you consider a tachymetric bezel :0) .... I am not hung up on it either way - Like Calvin Harris I like all the girls :0)