Forums Latest Members
  1. NVWC Feb 24, 2020

Dear OF members,

I would like to get your opinion on this dial, whether it is a rare variation, a redialed, or original dial with added cross hair later.

I have seek the opinion of 2 friendly member here on this watch, but we are unable to come to a conclusion.
    Most likely non factory original. The only thing suspicious is the crosshair not cutting through the middle of the 9 marker. Could it be due to photo angle? s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

It is a C-case constellation ref 168.017.
    Your input will be greatly appreciated.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 24, 2020

3. OMEGuy Feb 24, 2020

I'd say it's a very good redial. But looking closer, the font looks clumsy (look at "AUTOMATIC" and the spacing, the "n"s in Constellation), the "SWISS MADE" is too small and the minute markers appear too long.

For comparison, I believe this one looks original:

[​IMG]

4. lindo Feb 24, 2020

Too close to call for me. The more I looked the less sure I was that this is a redial - usually on detailed examination a redial becomes more obvious, but I am 50:50 on this one.

However the golden rule is 'if in doubt, leave it out'.

Samir and Wetworks like this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 24, 2020

To me this says redial, regardless of the photo angle there is no way this line is going through the center of the marker.

fdhhdf.jpg

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 25, 2020

I haven’t looked through the show and tell thread but I did look at the 13 pages of the c-case thread and there are none there.
    I’ve never seen a cross-hair c-case and it wouldn’t make sense on this particular example of Genta’s minimalist super-slim jetline indices dial.
    I don’t think the dial has necessarily been repainted but I do think the cross-hair has been added for the reason @X350 XJR notes above.

Samir likes this.
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 25, 2020

I think it's a redial, just trying to give the OP some homework.

Foo2rama, watchyouwant and Peemacgee like this.
  8. NVWC Feb 25, 2020

Thank you everyone for your feedbacks. Appreciate that.

Efauser: I have done my homework! I did asked peemacgee prior to posting the thread and prior to asking him as well.

Was trying to learn more from the rest by posting the question.

Have a hypothetical question here: IF the dial indeed is original, why would someone add the crosshair onto it later on?
    Or the person who did the repainted the whole dial, did a wonderful job?

Thanks once again for all your inputs.

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 25, 2020

Maybe the owner wanted crosshairs, but didn't want to spend the money for another watch. Why do people want Rolexes and Omegas with Disney characters added to the dial?

watchyouwant likes this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 25, 2020

The OP did indeed reach out to me by PM to ask about this watch and my conclusion was that, at the very least, the cross hairs had been added.
    However, I'm more than happy that he posted the watch on the open forum to gain additional points of view.

@NVWC
    Cross hairs are often thought to enhance a dial (while some others don't like them) and so are added to otherwise original dials.
    'Mad men' has a lot to answer for in advancing the cause of cross hair dials.

The pics aren't hi-res enough to give a definitive answer on the whole dial but IMHO the cross hairs don't belong on this dial.

Samir, NVWC, Radiozoop and 1 other person like this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 25, 2020

because they have unresolved childhood issues? :rolleyes:

watchyouwant and Waltesefalcon like this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 25, 2020

Serious issues.

watchyouwant likes this.
  13. Waltesefalcon Feb 25, 2020

Those cross hairs do not belong, the 'C' in Automatic definitely looks off. I'm going with redial.

watchyouwant likes this.
  14. NVWC Feb 25, 2020

Fair, sometimes we will just never understand what people have in their mind

efauser likes this.
  15. Wetworks Feb 25, 2020

Dunno about the crosshair, but the MOY looks pretty good, as do the fonts

16. Biezmez Feb 26, 2020

Hi
    Haven’t seen one before(but that doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t exist). I always like to check if the first L in constellation is parallel with the cross hair and how well defined it is. To me this looks really good. It’s really hard to get that level of quality on a redial imho.
    Regards
    Biezmez

17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 26, 2020

I agree that the vertical cross hair looks parallel to the L but I don’t think that missing bisecting the 9 index or being off below the 6 index is Omega level quality.
    A87E855B-8505-4F5D-A2E4-B0DBD8B849D6.jpeg

244ED83E-4141-4D98-B69A-3D35F92C2285.jpeg

Waltesefalcon and watchyouwant like this.
  18. aprax Feb 26, 2020

The six index being slightly skewed (good eye Peemacgee!) would confirm that the real problem lies with the applied indexes, not with the crosshair. If you look at the crosshair in relation to the printed minute markers, the date window, MOY, AML and the L in Constellation, everything looks harmonic. So I would say either sloppy application of the applied index markers at the factory (they are rather thin and long, makes the job difficult) or re-application during refurbishment (redial). A look at the back of the dial could possibly give a clue as to which one it is, but I now favor the former.

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 26, 2020

purely on the basis that this appears to be the only c case cross hair ever to come to light I’m going to have to plump for the latter.

NVWC likes this.
  20. Leeroy Feb 26, 2020

I'd say very good redial. I don't like the way the s meets the t in constellation. Should connect to the t's crossbar?