Forums Latest Members
  1. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Mar 23, 2017

Slow day at the office, so decided to play a little with my new smartphone macro lens.

I have two 145.012-67's in front of me with unmolested dials and what caught my attention was the variation in the dial structure. One has a more raised step (dial) and there is also a difference in how pronounced the cocentric circles in the subdials are.

Did Omega employ different dial manufacturers? I was under the impression* that they all came from Singer.

stepdial.jpg
    coring.jpg

*Mind you, I do not own MWO, I'm waiting for the new edition ;)

For fun couple more close ups. Notice how the left one has incorrectly repainted hands (too yellow and glossy paint).
    twodials.jpg

Edited Mar 23, 2017
    tamura, Andy K, gminnj and 1 other person like this.
  2. RJwatches Mar 23, 2017

Nice pictures Bart, the incorrect glossy relume paint is nice to see, don't think you'd see that without a macro lens, right?

3. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Mar 23, 2017

My watchmaker noticed that the white paint was off color and too glossy.

Don't think the hands were relumed.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 23, 2017

A man after my own heart.

I spend hours staring at these things.

I believe, from piecing together bits of information over years, that the dials were mass produced and that the process wore out the machines - so an early dial might have sharper features than a later dial. Then they might have upgraded the machine, and so on.

I also believe omega tried alternate sources for all its parts, so we have small variations.

The best obvious example is the 105.012-66 with the CB case and the HF case. But also there are variations in one manufacturers output.

tapaptpat, tamura and BartH like this.
  5. Fost Mar 23, 2017

Very nice Bart.
    I discussed several time with friends which are quite good relumed guys and i think it is quite difficult to repaint hands wihtout relumed them..
    Maybe I am wrong but if the hands are repainted , it might be relumed as well...
    My 2 cents

ConElPueblo likes this.
  6. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Mar 23, 2017

Ah an answer from the foremost speedmaster ogler :)
    I was discussing this a while ago with my Dutch mate @emilio who had two Ed White dials, where one clearly had fainter cocentric circles.

Spacefruit likes this.
  7. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Mar 23, 2017

Not ruling it out. It behaves like old tritium paint, but theneagain...

8. Fost Mar 23, 2017

That could be tritium even if relumed! many guys stocked some old tritium lume and can still do a terrific job with it...
    Anyway i found both hands set very homogenous and nice !
    I am jealous...

9. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Mar 23, 2017

The rapainted hands do look rather homogenous. This watch isn't staying with me though, it's (for other reasons) going back to the seller, so it doesn't bother me if they're relumed.

IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0230.JPG

10. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Mar 23, 2017

This is the other set on 'my' watch.

IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0234.JPG

Fost likes this.
  11. ConElPueblo Mar 23, 2017

Agree - you wouldn't repaint the hands with the lume still present. Mind you, the old luminous material could just as well have been reused after "soaking" for a while.