Forums Latest Members

Has ayone bought from the Fine watch club in Norwich UK?

1. Dan S Jul 27, 2020

People think they redial many of their watches because they actually say that the watches are repainted right in the listing. And maybe you can't tell, but many of us can.

Watches aren't cars, and watch collectors value originality. There's no point in asking "why", it's just a fact. If you are happy paying top dollar for a shiny polished watch with a re-painted dial that a collector would never touch, then that's fine, it's your money. Just understand that if you ever decide to sell it (and regardless of what you think, almost all watches are sold eventually), you will take a bath. And if you gradually become a more knowledgeable collector, the watch will probably interest you less and less. If you want a clean shiny watch, you might as well buy a new "re-issue" watch made in the vintage style.

2. Omega Baby Jul 27, 2020

Where on earth is Naaach?

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 27, 2020

You missed an aaaarrrr out of naaaaarch
    2DD4BE4A-A9FE-4E30-93AD-B023BD559860.jpeg

And pics of your Constellation please.

Hell’s Teeth likes this.
  4. MRC Jul 27, 2020

Despite your miss-representation of the local pronunciation of Norwich the OF "nuke em from orbit" satellite is targeting 52° 37' 51'' N 1° 17' 50'' E

None of the watchmakers I use live near there. I did have a crystal replaced in Naaarch once though. Didn't get the rehaut of my Carrera lined up properly :(

Hope the blast doesn't wreck Snetterton. I have fond memories of Snetterton.

Hell’s Teeth likes this.
  5. Omega Baby Jul 27, 2020

Oh Naaaaarch, I went there once to see QPR play them. A Naaaaarch forward missed an open goal and the Bishop of Naaaaarch jumped up from his seat and shouted Fffffffffffolly folly folly.

3.jpg
  6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 27, 2020

A good looking watch but then again, what’s not to like about a black dialled dogleg Connie on an early BOR?

To the man in the street, the dial looks perfectly correct but to the collector it’s very obvious that it’s not.
    This shouldn’t spoil your enjoyment of the watch it just irks that the sellers can command premium prices for something that is not original.
    However, if you bought it knowing it was redialled and it’s worth it to you, that’s all that matters in the end.

Flip likes this.
  7. inchpincher Has your missing inches Jul 27, 2020

Any more modern pictures on your wrist because that’s the same hand as the dealer in question...? ;)

D9D09196-F878-40B4-A83B-3FBE4F181B9D.jpeg
    DJG2645 likes this.
  8. Omega Baby Jul 27, 2020

Yes it is the same hand and I've no intention of putting it on to take a picture.
    This business about watches not being original is ridiculous, I took my Omega 53 Fat Arrow to my watchmaker and asked him to re-lume the hands. He said if he does that it will de-value the watch. I said, I've had that watch for 50 years and it will never be sold, so get on with it.
    The 53 is on my hand.

IMG_20200229_165153_resized_20200229_045248902.jpg
  9. Socks Jul 28, 2020

Where are you? Let's be avin you!

Hell’s Teeth, mcemeren and DJG2645 like this.
  10. andyrattle Oct 6, 2020

Im in Norwich and in the market for an Omega, thats how i found this thread and this group whilst googling the shop. Dont know whether to visit or not now as im not an expert, may as well take a punt on ebay

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 6, 2020

Yep, what could possibly go wrong there?

TimeODanaos likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 6, 2020

PS: Make sure you check here before you commit to anything on eBay.

andyrattle likes this.
  13. Omega Baby Oct 6, 2020

David,
    They do have a website> www.finewatchclub.co.uk
    They are a bit more expensive than standard eBay prices, but you would expect that from a bricks and mortar shop.
    You should go along and speak to them and don't be afraid to ask deep questions such as, where do you source your watches.
    Also find out about service history.
    If you buy from them on eBay and something goes wrong after one month, you're not covered unless the shop offer their own warranty.
    If you buy from them direct, you might be able to get a discount, as they would not have to pay eBay's commission.
    Having looked at their website, they do have a very nice selection of Omegas.
    Good luck.
    Omega Baby

14. j_leb Dec 7, 2020

If only I had read the opinions above of some more experienced collectors, before my recent encounter...

I purchased a vintage Constellation in steel from the so called "fine watch club" earlier in the year.
    All was going well until 4 weeks into ownership, when the watch stopped running.

I took it to a qualified Omega technician around where I live, who advised the movement had been transplanted into the watch and was not original for that reference. The case pre-dated the movement reference by 13 years and was a terrible mix and match of parts. Further to this, the dial was re-finished, the case had been polished and plated with some chrome type material, to cover areas where rust had begun to corrode the case.

I approached the the man who sold me the watch, who said he couldn't guarantee any of what I said and suggested the watch maker didn't know what he was on about. He also suggested that maybe I tampered with the watch which is why there were these issues and said not to bother contacting him again.

Needless to say, it was a horrid experience and I have learned who to trust and who not.
    I hope the next enthusiastic and budding collector reads my story, before being scammed.

DrmexicoII likes this.
  15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 7, 2020

This is a pretty poor show by the seller.

Pictures of the watch in question and the movt would be a useful illustration of the issues you’ve suffered.

Rudi99 and Davidt like this.
  16. j_leb Dec 7, 2020

I will certainly go back and ask the watch maker if he can provide me with pictures to substantiate the above.
    I sold the watch to him as he said certain parts could be salvaged and re-used to restore other vintage pieces appropriately.
    Overall I lost £650, but learnt a lesson worth a lot more than money lost.

17. andyrattle Dec 7, 2020

I guess its too late now you have moved the watch on, but is there no action you could have taken against the retailer, mis described goods, not fit for purpose or something? The point of paying a premium at a dealer is you should have some kind of guarantee? Just thinking aloud....

18. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Dec 7, 2020

That’s pretty terrible. Someone else asked if anyone had heard anything about the FWC in Norwich but apart from commenting on prices I hadn’t.

19. Davidt Dec 7, 2020

Just being objective here, we really need pictures of the watch you sold (either from their website or any you may have) to substantiate the issues put forward by your watchmaker.

20. zeezyv3 Dec 7, 2020

Sorry to hear sounds horrid.
    Coincidentally I have been watching a few watches from the seller on eBay as he has a good collection of Cosmics which I am after. Know to steer well away now especially with that sort of customer after care.
    Would be good to see any photos