Forums Latest Members

Has ayone bought from the Fine watch club in Norwich UK?

1. DJG2645 Jan 16, 2020

Dear Forum,

I am a newbie and looking for my first vintage Seamaster, I have been doing tons of research and want to make my first vintage Omega watch one to keep forever and always remember (for good reasons).

The above seller has reasonable range of Omega's so thought I would reach out and see. They don't have a website but are a trusted seller on Chrono24 - not sure how valid that makes them.

Best wishes,
    Dave

2. Enzo Jan 16, 2020

I have not bought from them so unable to comment from personal experience, but they do have a website and a shop in Norwich where you can visit by appointment. Good luck with your search.

DJG2645 likes this.
  3. Capt Cave Man Jan 16, 2020

https://www.finewatchclub.co.uk

I haven't purchased anything from them myself but I have them bookmarked due to the number of Omega pieces. I'm in Norwich tomorrow rather than working, if time allows I'm hoping to pop in for a browse - tried one Saturday before Xmas but they're closed weekends.

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jan 16, 2020

A word of advice, don't rush into buying from them before checking any potential purchase here.

DJG2645 likes this.
  5. Dan S Jan 16, 2020

Just be careful to read the descriptions carefully, since their watches are all very much prepped for sale. All are well-polished and some are re-dials.

Capcom, Samir and DJG2645 like this.
  6. Engee Jan 16, 2020

Yes, I bought from them before I got into the whole collecting thing. I inherited a Seamaster but lost it and with the insurance money I found a watch I liked on their site. They were very nice to deal with but I paid too much for the watch and as has been said, it is not collector quality. Nonetheless, I really like the watch and do not feel ripped off. Now I'm better informed I'd be more wary. I suspect you'll get a better deal here on OF than from any dealer like Fine Watch Club.

Edited Jan 17, 2020
  7. DJG2645 Jan 17, 2020

Interesting, keen to hear how you get on if time allows and you do go for a visit :)

8. DJG2645 Jan 17, 2020

Sounds overall a good experience and appreciate the info, thanks!

9. Engee Jan 17, 2020

By here I mean on OF. Fine Watch Club is a dealer.

DJG2645 likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 17, 2020

I think we all stumble on them and dealers like them early in our journey. They do not necessarily serve the collector community. They are there for folks who want a vintage piece as a fashion accessory. So polishing and redialing ( restoration) are common. It is possible to sift out a collector grade piece but you will pay full retail for the bricks and mortar. Myself I paid way too much for a Pie Pan (which I enjoy wearing) and multiple services from a similar place in Chicago years ago.

DJG2645 and Edward53 like this.
  11. Engee Jan 17, 2020

I think we shouldn’t be too hard on these dealers. I wouldn’t have bought a new omega with my insurance payout, and his website inspired my interest in vintage watches. I knew no better, wouldn’t have known to look for a place like this and if I’m honest, was too impatient to wait and learn. I’m grateful to Fine Watch Club for setting me on my journey into vintage watches.

As my mother-in-law says, everyone’s entitled to make a living.

Larry S and Ravineman like this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 17, 2020

As I became more “woke”, I realized who I was dealing with and moved on, noob tax paid. I agree they served a purpose ( the services were good) but at a cost. I’m not painting the subject dealer with the same brush but overall from my experience and reading here you learn who to buy from as a collector.

DJG2645 and Engee like this.
  13. DJG2645 Jan 17, 2020

Probably a silly question, but is the best place to find Seamasters for sale on here by looking under the "watches for sale" tab and sifting through or do people tend to post dedicated threads for what they are looking for?

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 17, 2020

Watches for sale tend to be trusted dealers as I understand. Private Sales are member watches.

15. DJG2645 Jan 17, 2020

ok, thanks very much. So it is a case of keeping an eye on recent posts for as and when they pop up for sale :)

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 17, 2020

Affirmative

17. Dan S Jan 17, 2020

There is also a forum for want-to-buy posts, but you are not eligible because you don't have an avatar. Just kidding, you're not eligible because you don't have 200 posts yet. Read the rules in the sticky thread in the sales forum area.

Rudi99 and DJG2645 like this.
  18. Socks Jan 17, 2020

Another post here about them...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/first-time-buy.107195/

I remember seeing the Speedmaster discussed, and with my very limited knowledge noticed that something was wrong with it. The concerning thing was not that it was being sold innocently, it was the fact that the description tried to flannel the obvious problem with the serial and the reference.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-19...=183979939692c998df25335448c389dd179e7f034d9ePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Jan 17, 2020
    newboyintown likes this.
  19. Capt Cave Man Jan 17, 2020

Well, I tried to pop in to see them today... I focus on try!!

The, I assume owner was sitting eating a sandwich with the closed sign on the door, no watches on display in the window only empty boxes and prices - this was a little after 1pm. I kept looking around and eventually pressed the door buzzer and we spoke via the speaker/mic on the door. I apologised for disturbing him and asked if he was on lunch and what time would it be suitable to come back?

I was told in no polite sense that yes, I'm at lunch and to email him as he would not see me without a prior appointment. Website no longer in my favourites, he just lost any chance of my custom.

20. DJG2645 Jan 18, 2020

Thanks for going to visit and updating. That is very interesting and slightly odd behaviour of the owner. I totally understand the online presence but on their site and eBay it looks like a fully functioning retail outlet. Why pay for a retail until and not open it...very odd. Anyhow, thanks again I really appreciate the help and I'll also be avoiding them even if their watches do look nice.
    This forum is excellent in the short time I have been a member I have learned a lot. I am confident I'll find my first vintage seamster soon :)

RoadRunner73, Tomdutchman and wagudc like this.