Forums Latest Members

Hands-On Omega Speedmaster Caliber 321 Review (Including Video)

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 14, 2020

[​IMG]
    Here it is (finally), the hands-on Omega Speedmaster Caliber 321 review. Exactly six months after its release date (January 7th), I picked mine up at the new Omega Boutique in Biel. We recently touched upon this watch in our Sunday Morning Showdown section, where Jorg and Ben sent this Omega Speedmaster Calibre 321 in steel […]

Visit Hands-On Omega Speedmaster Caliber 321 Review (Including Video) to read the full article.

gippo, rohnin, Mad Dog and 7 others like this.
  2. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 14, 2020

In this hands-on review article, you will find some more answers to questions asked in previous threads. About the movement's accuracy, the milky hue on the dial (or lack thereof) and the box. I hope you like it.

gippo, Vale21, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 14, 2020

...with the same look and feel as the original 105.003
    End quote
    :unsure:
    look & feel in a manner of speaking I guess ?
    In practice, I agree it has the same look, but the feel-part must be different, as most collectors will be able to tell a vintage watch feel against a modern watch feel with their eyes closed ( a vintage Speedmaster always feels lighter and has just a bit more rattle in the bracelet ).

4. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 14, 2020

Of course. This watch is heavier, due to the sapphire crystals but also due to the bracelet. But I was talking indeed as a manner of speaking, as the dimensions are spot on, the chrono operations feels the same and it just looks like I am wearing a 105.003 as it was in the 1960s, brand new.

bazderome, Vale21, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  5. henrimontgomery Jul 14, 2020

I am on the list, but I know very well that once I get the call, and will try it, I won’t buy it simply because at this price, such a clasp is utterly unacceptable.

6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 14, 2020

So, why not get off the list then? :) What’s wrong with the clasp btw? I like it.

7. henrimontgomery Jul 14, 2020

I’m on the list because that’s the only way they would let me try it, plus I would be remiss to not try what I think is the most beautiful Speedmaster.

The straight lug, the bracelet, the case and dial, they all sing to me. The movement is a beauty, and I think there is nothing wrong with an old “archaic” caliber. After all, one could say any mechanical movement is, by definition, archaic.

But the price is high, and while the clasp (just discovered this thanks to your article) doesn’t have the rounded borders usually found on Omega’s offerings, the lack of adjustments is annoying.

While I would love something similar to the Ploprof push n slide, or Rolex glide lock, I know this isn’t happening here. For the amount Omega requires, it needs to be a homerun for me.

It is not that I do not wish to get the watch, it’s just that my arm, having been broken in my youth, can swell and thus needs watches that can adjust easily.

8. kelsey Jul 14, 2020

@henrimontgomery its normal for plenty of people for wrist size change throughout the day. I agree and I have no idea what Omega is thinking when not having an on the fly adjustment at this level.

Single biggest reason why I myself haven’t ordered yet and would have to try in person before deciding.

@Robert-Jan you compare the bracelet too the moonshine gold one has me personally sad. We’re all different but for me my moonshine golds bracelet is horribly uncomfortable most days, so I rarely wear it which is sad as I love it, it’s my absolute grail. Now it has me hunting for options to make it wearable (which at this level one should never have to do).

Omega produced this 321 because of fans, maybe we should petition Omega to have adjustable on the fly bracelets at this level, not like they haven’t done it before or such hasn’t been invented many moons ago!

9. Icnbne Jul 14, 2020

Great, thanks for the writeup

to be clear, so you think omega coloured the lume to match the ed whites tritidum lume when new? (They weren’t bright white) or to aomewhat replicate the aging process?

10. rohnin Jul 15, 2020

Well, not quite as the original was 1.1mm smaller

11. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 15, 2020

I height? Or in diameter? The height might be different due to the use of sapphire, the diameter should be spot on. Omega informed that the case is exactly the same. I can't measure/compare as I do not have a 105.003. If you have one, I would be happy to learn the diameter of that one.

12. Denarius Jul 15, 2020

I can take measurements from my 64 EW later, I think my original weighs around 90 grams and is very light in hand, this is with the original 1035/506 bracelet.

13. Vale21 Jul 15, 2020

As Omega used the same process as the 60th anniversary if I'm not wrong...

RJ in your opinion is this EW even better executed compare to the 60th anniversary? Without comparing the movement of course....

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 15, 2020

Hello,

Here is what you said in the above article with regards to accuracy:

"And yes, it is not a Master Chronometer certified movement and it isn’t as accurate as the new caliber 3861, but if you are looking for that, this watch is not for you. I did some home testing and found the delta to be impressively tight (2 seconds) with an X rating (mean daily rate) of +8 seconds across five positions. I can live with that. Let’s check the performance after a few weeks again. Omega’s average precision tolerances for non Chronometer/Master Chronometer watches are between -1/+11 seconds per day. This also applies to the new caliber 321 movement."

Can you please explain how you arrived at the numbers quoted for this watch? Was this done on a timing machine? If so, what was the state of wind?

Also the tolerances you quote are not correct. As I've already noted in another thread, the tolerance for average daily rate for the 321 is from 0 to +16, with the allowed Delta at full wind of 20 seconds over 3 positions, and at 24 hours after full wind it's 30 seconds over 3 positions per Work Instruction 28.

Cheers, Al

15. rohnin Jul 15, 2020

I don’t have a vintage Ed White, but I’ve looked and those were 38.6mm diameter, like the 60th anniversary

16. frazierspa Jul 15, 2020

The straight lugs/symmetrical Speedy used from 1957 to 1969 used two bezels; steel and black. The steel bezels were 38.6mm while the black aluminum bezels (Ed White Reference) were 39.7mm.

Edited Jul 15, 2020
  17. rohnin Jul 15, 2020

If that’s the case, I stand corrected.

frazierspa likes this.