Forums Latest Members
  1. Jim_ Mar 26, 2024

Hello OF,

I've recently joined the forum to better educate myself before choosing my first Omega. I have a few watches from other manufacturers and have long admired vintage Omegas. I'm absorbing all I can about identifying redials and how to choose a proper example, and I've been very impressed by the guidance offered by the veterans around here.

Rather than scouring ebay for a "deal", I'm inclined to follow the common recommendation to purchase from one of the respected sellers here on OF. I've seen a few watches that I really like, but it's lead me to a bit of a conundrum: what is the etiquette for soliciting guidance from the OF experts on a specific watch when the seller is also an OF regular? It's one thing to candidly pick apart the flaws in a watch from an anonymous seller, but what is considered appropriate within the forum? I don't want to offend anyone in my search!

Thank you,
    Jim

Spruce likes this.
  2. Dan S Mar 26, 2024

Some people will say that it's fine to start a thread about a watch in the listings and it's allowed by forum rules. But personally, I tend to have conversations like that by PM, especially if your questions are routine (is the condition ok? Is the price fair?). The exception might be if there is a specific question about the watch in the listing that has general interest for collectors.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 26, 2024

This.

watchyouwant and Franco like this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 26, 2024

It’s fair play to start another thread to discuss a watch in the appropriate forum. However @Dan S is right about trying to educate yourself via PM. I’ve done both. There have been a few dust ups, mostly with cranky, low, just barely qualifying, post count sellers before over threads started to discuss a watch for sale. Thats rare however. It’s your money. Make sure you know what you are buying.

wagudc likes this.
  5. wagudc Mar 26, 2024

I would start a conversation via PM. As a seller, I have encouraged perspective buyers to start a thread about the watch when I feel like I cannot answer a question conclusively. I have seen this happen with other members too.

Franco and paddymoran like this.
  6. paddymoran Mar 26, 2024

If you aren’t sure about a listing or seller I’d recommend that you check their reviews here on OF. Some sellers may also offer a no quibble return and refund if not satisfied.

7. GuiltyGear Mar 26, 2024

As someone who's relatively new to the forum and also has put a few watches up for sale, I'd appreciate it if you asked me first about any questions on the watch. If you're still not convinced, like a dial being original or I say it's not polished but it looks like it is, then by all means you can ask in a new thread. Asking me first would be fair, but also won't waste other people's time.

I'd also appreciate it if you tagged me in that thread so I don't miss it. That way I may learn something new about my watch.

Larry S, YY77, X350 XJR and 1 other person like this.
  8. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 26, 2024

Sellers with good reps on OF are 100% in my book.
    You just need the $$ if you like the watch.

if your a seller, I don’t touch you with 10 foot pole.

just my 2 cents as buyer on many fronts

wagudc likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 26, 2024

Once your here long enough and engaged, it’s not rare to ask a reputable member their opinion.
    Have over the years helped many a new member with a honest opinion on a watch FS by another member. If you PM me and asked an opinion on a watch or seller I would be happy to give it. :thumbsup:

PS
    If you were way off the mark, I would advise you to do some research and maybe advise on where and how, or if you became annoying and lazy and wanted to make $$ a piss off maybe eventuate (which has once or twice before)

JwRosenthal, Dash1, wagudc and 2 others like this.
  10. Jim_ Mar 26, 2024

Great information -- thank you all. I'm definitely looking for watches to own, wear, and enjoy for the long term. Come to think of it, I've never sold a watch. :)

I appreciate your guidance, everyone.

11. rootbeer7 Mar 27, 2024

I’ve sold a few watches on various forums including here. I try to be honest about my watches but would not be at all upset if questions were asked via PM, by comments underneath (some forums don’t allow that), or by separate posts. I want the buyer to be happy and comfortable with a purchase.

Charlie3755 likes this.
  12. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 27, 2024

Welcome to OF and well done for starting with this interesting thread

Jim_, pdxleaf, pitbos and 1 other person like this.
  13. BAJJ Mar 27, 2024

One tell I look for is how many 'likes' the sales post has garnered and whom has given those likes. My belief, maybe misguided, is that if a watch listed for sale is not legit it won't get any likes. As I said, this is just one tell and no substitute for doing research on the model as well.

JwRosenthal, DaveK and Spruce like this.
  14. BrokenSkunk Mar 27, 2024

I'm also a newbie here. So maybe my opinion doesn't count for much.

I'd think that no good seller would be upset about a thread asking for opinions on the authenticity of a watch they are selling.
    In your shoes I'd send the seller a quick polite PM, "I'm not sure about xyz, I'm going to open a thread asking for opinions, I hope you don't mind."
    Provided no one talks about pricing, I don't see an issue.

If a seller does get upset, you have to ask why.

15. Dan S Mar 27, 2024

Respectfully, I don't think this is really the question. It's more about how starting such a thread would reflect on the OP. Some things may be allowed, and might not anger the seller, but might still be in poor taste.

paddymoran and Evitzee like this.
  16. Dal Cais Mar 27, 2024

Say use your own judgement, review the watch, review the seller, ask via PM any questions to the seller. Don't judge watch by how many likes, that's like 75 people watching any eBay sale yet no-one buys.

DRjre086 likes this.
  17. BrokenSkunk Mar 27, 2024

Ah, yes. I would have missed that. Whilst I never post to deliberately offend people, neither do I care about what people in an anonymous on-line community think of me.
    If someone takes offense to something I've posted, it will be offense taken, not offense intentionally given. Whilst I don't wish for people to get their knickers twisted over something I may have posted, life is to short to worry about it if they do!

maximilian g likes this.
  18. Dan S Mar 27, 2024

As a new member attempting to buy watches from experienced collectors, the OP is wise to try to understand forum etiquette, IMO.

JwRosenthal, drose224, MtV and 10 others like this.
  19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 27, 2024

I am reminded of the following concepts

An inexperienced Omega buyer will get a good watch if he buys from a good OF seller. It won’t be cheap, but it will be right, or at least fully disclosed.

it might be possible to find a cheap one on eBay, but you would be very lucky to find it good, and cheap at the same time. (Every member here who is interested already knows about it)

personally I have bought a few omegas outside of my knowledge here in the sales section, (a marine chronometer from Tom Dick comes to mind) ,which was at the high end of the market, but it was the best, and fully described and correct.

if you end up overpaying for the right watch, you will soon forget how much it was.

if you buy a watch with bad secrets, you will never forget how much it was.

Taddyangle, ewand, mydeafcat and 21 others like this.
  20. paddymoran Mar 27, 2024

Couldn’t agree more @Dan S - I’d learn the etiquette and adhere to it.

To be honest I simply can’t see any circumstances where I’d start a thread about a watch offered for sale on OF. While you might start the thread focussing on a specific detail you have no control how it will evolve (it’s the proverbial Pandora’s Box) and the thread could end up being highly contentious.

There are serious, knowledgeable watch collectors and enthusiasts here and their sales posts reflect on them - I wouldn’t publicly question the accuracy of their description or other information provided. It could be construed as questioning their knowledge or worse, their judgement or honesty - e.g. has the case been polished? Also, as stated one can’t foresee how a thread could evolve and people take these things personally. Don’t risk offending is my mantra.

I’ve been fortunate enough to buy a number of watches (typically Speedmasters) on the forum and I’ve never had any regrets. My advice is to do your research (no shortage of material here), ask your questions, agree a price and proceed. It’s usually a pretty simple process. If any doubts, don’t buy.

In terms of the number of “likes” - to me this reflects on the desirability of the item but doesn’t necessarily imply that it’s good value.

YYTIN, DRjre086 and Dan S like this.