Forums Latest Members

How to buy (here on OF ) from a seller outside US

1. mayankyadav Feb 10, 2018

Hello, I have seen several sale posts for watches that I so badly wanted tod buy but couldn’t as sellers were outsode US.
    I have no experience with that kind of a transaction in US. Once I shipped a big 70 inch TV to India from US and it took my family back home more than 2 months to finally satisfy customs and sales tax departments by providing hundred kinds of proofs, notorize statements, sales tax etc.

Is it the same in US as well? How to ge customs/duty clearance (is there any other kind of tax too?) for a watch that I decide to buy from a seller who is shipping from outside US ?

Or these taxes are not applicable to used stuffs ( watches in this case)?

Another thing I was wondering why do Aussies sell their watches cheaper than Americans here on OF ?

watch3s likes this.
  2. AnotherDon Feb 10, 2018

Buying a watch from outside the US can be tricky. First, there is an import tax on a watch whether it is new or used. It makes no difference. The amount of the tax is based on the value of the watch. The import tax on a watch is complicated. At the risk of over-simplifying, there are values on the strap/bracelet, the case, and the movement. There are differing rates on the case and bracelet depending on the metal. Precious metals are more than steel. There are differing rates on the movement depending on the number of jewels. I think it maxes out at 17 jewels. The average total rate that I have paid on the 10 or so watches that I have imported over the years has run between 1% and 2% of the value of the watch.

But, don't let that scare you. Most of the major carriers...Fedex, UPS, and DHL...will work out the amount of the customs tax and make you pay it before they will deliver the watch.

This last week I received a watch that I bought from a dealer in Germany. He shipped the watch via DHL. He did not include the appropriate breakdown of the watch...strap/case/movement. DHL in Cinncinati (port of entry) contacted me seeking the information. I called them back and gave them the info about the values. It took them about a day to process that info and directed me to their webpage where I paid the $71.01 import tax with a credit card on my $7k watch. From start to finish it took about 11 days for me to receive the watch. I wired the funds on 1/25 and the watch arrived 2/5.

It's a little scary the first time you import a watch, but after that it's really not a big deal.

The Aussie dollar is at about 78¢ US. Or to say that another way $1 AUD = $1.28 US

The one big CAVEAT is that if the watch is on a croc or alligator strap, be sure to get the seller to ship the watch and the strap separately. Alligator and croc straps must have a CITES certificate to be legally imported. Having a watch come to customs on an alligator strap without that CITES tag will really complicate importing the watch. What can happen is that the Customs agent will cut the strap off the watch and send the watch on. You run the risk of losing the tang buckle or deployant clasp when that happens. Most of the dealers that I have dealt with are aware of this problem and will do what they can to help. For example, the watch I mentioned earlier was on an alligator strap. The dealer took the alligator strap off the watch and installed your basic cheap leather strap before shipping the watch. The alligator strap is being sent separately. If that OEM alligator strap never shows up, it won't bother me a bit. I've already installed a strap that I like better.

So, if you find a watch that you really like, but will have to import, go for it.

:)

dan7800, Kmart, KstateSkier and 9 others like this.
  3. mayankyadav Feb 10, 2018

Thank you for your time in explaining. Now I just need to find a watch ( from a seller about whom I have formed a positive opinion based on others’ experiences ).

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 10, 2018

Just woke up on a Sunday morning, what happened last night or am I still dreaming.

Think it is the other way around :(:(

Kmart, lando, Jwit and 3 others like this.
  5. AnotherDon Feb 10, 2018

You are correct, Sir.$ !.28AUD=$1US:D

6. river rat Feb 10, 2018

Now on taxes FedEx the only shipper that sends me a tax bill USPS and UPS never have I don't know why. FedEx can be a pain I had a vintage Italian Navy Lemania deck clock coming from Italy I had to prove what it was worth before they would deliver it because they had no clue what it was. I had a WW2 RAF clock from England UPS no tax bill and Hanhart 417 and Heuer Bund from Germany USPS no tax bill but FedEx every time tax bill. FedEx will deliver it then send you the tax bill in the mail that's what they did to me.

Edited Feb 11, 2018
    lando and bristnj like this.
  7. bristnj Feb 11, 2018

I would recommend setting-up a ParcelPro account. This has been discussed on many threads. However, for the sake of this conversation, they will 3rd party insure the watch as long as the seller follows specific instructions (which they will provide for you). Basically the seller can ship via UPS, FedEx, DHL and send you pics of the documentation, including proper customs value. Once they have the shipping info, it's insured. It's much, much cheaper then the seller getting insurance, and you know your covered. Well worth the peace of mind to know if something happens, your covered.

As for Customs, I agree with above. It's hit or miss. I just had a shipment sent by DHL from Europe, which was handed over to USPS when it hit the states. It then cleared customs in a matter of an hour and was delivered as usual in a few days. I received no calls about customs. I've gotten bills from FedEx after the fact, but they have always been well under $100, so never a big deal.

Good luck with your hunt!!

Edited Feb 11, 2018
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 11, 2018

Besides what you have seen... buy the seller, but Pay Pal to be safe.

Kmart, Jwit, omegaswisst and 3 others like this.
  9. GuiltyBoomerang Feb 12, 2018

As an Aussie seller who has served a few happy customers worldwide on the forums here, eBay, and reddit, here's what I'll say:

* Customs and outside posting - I personally haven't dealt with any items over $800USD in value, as this is the statutory limit of the free trade agreement that the US allows. For me, as long as I value my item and postage/insurance to this or under, the buyer is never slugged with customs/fees (depending on State/Territory.) I still use Pitney Bowes online duty calculator (a pay-as-you-go or subscription service) for other countries as well as to see if the buyer will or will not have to pay duties.

* Taxes - No, it does not matter if the watch is used or not, taxes apply depending on value/location being sent to. Certain watches with precious materials/exotic straps/etc. are subject to more clearance rules.

* Cheaper prices? - I wouldn't say cheaper prices - it depends on what kind of watch and the perceived value. However, since the US dollar is better than AUD, payment in USD and received in USD results in more due to conversion rates (and not having to pay conversion rates should we then acquire something which requires the payment of USD.)

mayankyadav likes this.
  10. heccsat Feb 13, 2018

I have sent a few watches to the US (from Europe). What @AnotherDon describes is the same I have to do all the time. It is a bit harder, but not that big of a deal. The only difference for me was that I was the one who had to declare the amounts before they shipped it to the buyer, but the tax is not a big amount (a few % of the price, depending on how the seller/buyer declares the values of the parts), the other way around is much worse. I have to pay an extra ~32% if I want to buy a watch from the US.

Larry S likes this.
  11. AnotherDon Feb 13, 2018

32%!?! Ouch!:)

12. heccsat Feb 13, 2018

Y
    Yes. 27 %VAT, 3 % customs, 2 %handling fee. And it also applies on the shipping cost.

13. GordonL Feb 13, 2018

Here in the UK we have to pay ~24% import taxes on all watches imported from outside the EU. The shipping charges are also liable for tax at the same rate.....
    But it seems to be quite hit and miss - I've received items with a declared value of $100 without having to pay anything.

14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 13, 2018

Meet each other :thumbsup:

frederico and eugeneandresson like this.
  15. frederico Feb 13, 2018

this^
    especially if what you're buying / selling is valuable. Mostly because it shows that the transaction is committed (and the other party is too) but also because it's never out of sight. Personally if I was buying from the US*, the cost of a flight to meet in NYC would be quite easy to absorb and would be offset by insurance and shipping costs. I lost a Rolex sending to Germany once - well actually it arrived in several pieces, having been driven over several times by a truck it would appear :(

* I know the OP is /in/ the US so customs charges are lower, negating some of the savings

16. heccsat Feb 13, 2018

There is a limit, if the amount is lower than you don't have to pay anything after it. I don't know how high is it in the UK. It is around 25 euros here.