Forums Latest Members
  1. cosmofox Nov 30, 2017

Dear Forum,

May I please ask your input on a vintage 60s 565 seamaster? I am hoping to buy this from an online seller and am preoccupied with any stated "refurbishment" of an authentic dial. Is there any version of refurbishing that does not tamper with the integrity of the dial?

Here are some pictures from a watch which has interested me and which I have enquired after with the seller:

10.PNG 9.PNG 8.PNG 7.PNG 6.PNG 5.PNG 4.PNG 3.PNG 2.PNG 1.PNG

Also, can you please let me know what you think is a fair price for this watch?

Apologies in advance for any silly questions - this is my first time buying and I am looking for a real as well as affordable seamaster to give as a gift which will last a long time. I would be endlessly grateful for any pointers you have.

THANK YOU!!

2. Gordon Heavyfoot Nov 30, 2017

This watch is refinished. The vast majority of black dials from this period are redials. You've done the right thing in asking before you buy. Refinishing a dial generally doesn't affect the "integrity" of the dial itself, it is merely the process of stripping an original dial down, repainting and reapplying indices, etc. It drastically reduces value and desirability to a collector. However, if you like the look of the watch and don't overpay, go for it. Just be aware that resale value will be much reduced. I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred dollars for that example. Keep an eye out in the private watch sales section here, many excellent examples come up for sale.

mydeafcat likes this.
  3. cosmofox Nov 30, 2017

Oh that makes me so sad. Thanks so much for the valuable input. For future consideration, how can I tell in these black dial models if the watch is refinished? I am not interested in purchasing a repainted dial. Thanks !

4. dan7800 Nov 30, 2017

Usually if a black dial looks like it is in great shape, it has been refinished/redialed.

There are frequently black-dialed seamasters in the for sale section of the forum. Take a look at those.

You did the right thing by asking. Welcome to the forum

amiriqbal, ConElPueblo and mydeafcat like this.
  5. cosmofox Nov 30, 2017

Thank you so much for your help - grateful to be here!

dan7800 likes this.
  6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 1, 2017

Search the forum for a thread titled Learn How to Fish, it gives some great advice on buying vintage.

amiriqbal likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 1, 2017

Don't be shy in looking at other brands for a neat black dial that is not Redialed

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Vitezi, cosmofox and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. ConElPueblo Dec 1, 2017

Top tip right there... Look beyond the logo would be my advice too :thumbsup:

mydeafcat likes this.
  9. doog Dec 1, 2017

It’s a redial, but I have to say a pretty good one. The case back has been very heavily polished in order to (partially) remove the big gouge in it, and the Seamonster has suffered in the process. A few of the movement screws look a little chewed too, which would worry me. All in all, I’d avoid unless it’s a very keen price. If you can’t find a genuine black dial on the forum, consider some of the silver dials available in this reference, they survive well and appear with indices, hands and numerals of infinite variety. You can usually accommodate most tastes. Happy hunting!

10. Vicke Dec 1, 2017

11. cosmofox Dec 1, 2017

You guys are fantastic, thank you for al the advice. I am happy to look beyond the logo, and even for something other than a black dial, and have had a great time browsing the FS threads here.

Re this offer, considering the redial that everyone pointed out and the heavy polishing etc. noted by doog, the price is far too heavy to consider purchasing. Thank you!

mydeafcat likes this.
  12. fjf Dec 1, 2017

[​IMG]

:whistling:

amiriqbal and mydeafcat like this.
  13. Shabbaz Dec 1, 2017

Resale value is reduced for collectors. But most people who buy omega's are'nt collectors and they dont care or dont have a clue. They just want a nice looking omega on the wrist. I saw these refinished dials sell for eur 800/850 while authentic dials with patina sell for less. But on this forum you will find purist who look for authentic omega's... So dont sell here a refinished dial because nobody will buy... And tell people the truth about the dial when you sell it on ebay. Cheers!

14. Edward53 Dec 1, 2017

And they are usually perfectly happy with their purchase until either a) they ask about it on here and it is torn to pieces, or b) they try and resell it and can't get more than a quarter of the price.

mydeafcat likes this.