Grandfathers Omega

Hello forum,

My friend recently inherited this watch from his grandfather and asked me to take a look at it. I don’t know anything about Omega watches as I’ve only really been into seiko’s. I was very skeptical of its authenticity when first placed in my hands. The band & case back was ringing alarms. I opened up the back and found a beautiful movement.

The case back had 166.041 stamped in the back along with some other markings and 2 possible service markings. The movement caliber read 565 & with a serial number starting with 28xxxxxx, puts the movement around 1969 online sources say.

Now comes my question for all you amazing people, how much of this watch is authentic? The case, the dials, crown & case back ect. When I google image search this watch I cannot find a dial with all 3 exact markings as mine (automatic, seamaster & geneve). Same with the dial colour. If there any other thing I can look for to help let me know. I have attached some photos of the watch that I hope will suffice.

Thank you all!
Edited:

It's legit. Entry level gold-plated piece from the 1960s. But as you noted, the movement is excellent. Please don't reinstall the bracelet, look at the damage it caused.

It's all good except for the ratty bracelet. Fit a nice strap have it serviced by a watchmaker (not a mall jeweler) and you are good to go.

It's legit. Entry level gold-plated piece from the 1960s. But as you noted, the movement is excellent. Please don't reinstall the bracelet, look at the damage it caused.
Thanks for the reply Dan, any info on the dial? I managed to find one with the exact markings but not colour. Also just tested a black leather band I had spare and looks so much nicer. Will need to get a proper one in correct width.

I didn’t think omega would’ve sold stretchy bands, but I found this same 166.041 with a 565 cal. on eBay. Would this likely have been the original band that came with the watch? IMG_0550.jpeg IMG_0551.jpeg IMG_0548.jpeg IMG_0545.jpeg

They may well have.had such offerings, the end links it those pics supplied look like they might be original, but the stretchy bracelet on the watch in question has crappy generic end links and the branding Spidel stamped into the internal faces of the links…….definitely not a genuine Omega item

They may well have.had such offerings, the end links it those pics supplied look like they might be original, but the stretchy bracelet on the watch in question has crappy generic end links and the branding Spidel stamped into the internal faces of the links…….definitely not a genuine Omega item
Oh yea no question, the band on my friends watch marked SPIDEL USA is a aftermarket replacement. I was more curious if the omega branded one in attached photos was likely the original style band that came on my friends watch.