Forums Latest Members

Grand Seiko Snowflake - Does GS only get More Collectible from Here?

1. vtknight Jan 9, 2020

Got it today - two days from Japan! Omicron is the name of the Watch Store and they were fantastic - they sized the watched for me before it arrived so I didn't need to do anything but wear it. The watch is LIGHT as a snow flake. Feels the same as my vintage 1171 and 145.022-71ST Speedy weight-wise. It is unbelievably beautiful in real life lol...the smoothness of the sweep is so relaxing. Quality is off the chart. I attached a few pictures.

Enjoy.

Dial.jpg Bracelet.jpg Back2.jpg
    jlam1127, DaveK, Dedalus05 and 2 others like this.
  2. Humptymarsbar Jan 11, 2020

These look cracking watches.
    The only thing I don't like, and it's just me, is the power indicator on the dial, why?
    Do you need this info so you can plug it in to charge it?
    ( Please remember I'm joking there);):whistling:

vtknight likes this.
  3. ewand Jan 11, 2020

Yeah, the Spring Drive putting the power reserve on the dial gets a bit of criticism but I suppose it differentiates it from the mere hi-beat autos and high end quartzes ;-) They put the power display on the rear of the movement, visible through display back, on the Credor Spring Drives so it could be done... https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/news/20180322_11

Anyway, @vtknight - glad you like the watch and we all hope you enjoy it. I weighed mine next to my Speedmaster Broad Arrow (here) and the Snowflake is just over 56% of the weight of the Omega...

4. Humptymarsbar Jan 11, 2020

Thanks for your comments, every day's a school day.:thumbsup:

5. vtknight Jan 12, 2020

Thank-you both! Thank-you for the link...It literally is light as a snowflake lol. It is one of the most beautiful watches on the arm I have ever seen. I am very much enjoying it!

6. ewand Jan 12, 2020

Yak1 and vtknight like this.
  7. vtknight Jan 12, 2020

I have read his review and I understand his view points...the watch is extremely light lol...I just think it is perfect for the snowflake motif - and I absolutely love the watch (the way it looks on my wrist - I cannot stop staring at it). So as he says - to each their own. He agrees with the value and beauty - he just has other requirements the watch doesn't fit (in his opinion).

Walrus and ewand like this.
  8. pongster Jan 18, 2020

Am at four. And want more.

Started with a Hi Beat. Then snowflake. Then a GMT iwate. Then a vintage GS.

Now thinking of a diver and a dress watch.

Yak1 and jsducote like this.
  9. Lostpuppy116 Feb 5, 2020

I too fell for the smooth sweeping seconds hand, if I am reading your post correctly. I bought the sbga375 (dark blue spring drive) and have enjoyed it ever since.

10. killer67 Feb 5, 2020

for me it’s the power reserve and the flimsy bracelet that turn me off

11. pongster Feb 7, 2020

My snowflake on a bed of snowflakes

ECEB0D3F-73B4-4682-AF57-9CC01E0AE714.jpeg
    durri70 and Professor like this.
  12. Evose Feb 7, 2020

It's definitely a beautiful piece—congrats on your purchase and enjoy it in good health.

I've been eyeing the SBGV245. Such underrated watches.

13. Lostpuppy116 Feb 8, 2020

I appreciate the snowflake on snowflakes. One day I will have a snowflake on snowflakes. Just not yet...

jlam1127 and pongster like this.
  14. jlam1127 Feb 24, 2020

They really are nice watches with really great dials. Pictures don't do it justice. I was in Beverly Hills last week and stopped in to "look"..... came out with a Skyflake, and then went back in the next day and bought a Four Seasons Winter as well..... it wears really well, the craftmanship and details are second to none... the biggest gripe you hear is that it's a Japanese brand....but hey, if we can keep low on the radar, I'm fine with that...helps keep the price point down...! I'm actually on a hunt for my 3rd GS.... a used SBGE227... if anyone has one, I'll trade my Skyflake for it!

Dsloan likes this.
  15. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. Mar 4, 2020

How does GS do in the value retention department?

16. jlam1127 Mar 4, 2020

It really depends on the reference. The limited ones tend to hold or go up in value (SBGH269) and some loses value .... their LE runs are in small runs (900) where as Omega's LE are up to 7000 pieces. It all depends on the market. If you are looking for investment pieces, GS is not there yet.... but they definitely will be a player soon