Forums Latest Members

Grand Seiko Snowflake - Does GS only get More Collectible from Here?

1. vtknight Dec 28, 2019

Hi everyone,

As there are now 50K pound GS’s now - and with the Snowflake - are we on the ground floor of enough increased interest - and GS quality - to make it compete with the big Swiss boys?

I have just purchased a new Snowflake - and although I haven’t even worn it yet - the reviews are unbelievably strong. I have seen the Snowflake beat out the Rolex Oyster and a few other watches you would not seem to think would compete...that said - being a spring drive - there really is no direct completion.

I’m interested in your opinions - especially those who may not dabble in a Seiko. I agree with the TS on the Seiko thread in this forum - it does seem their accolades are well deserved.

Thoughts?

A1804BE0-21D0-4EAD-8157-88C270FA4B56.png
    pongster and funkright like this.
  2. Jim W Dec 29, 2019

I’ve owned my Snowflake for about 4 years. If I had to choose just one watch.... this would probably be the one. The Snowflake is the perfect Grand Seiko. The dial is gorgeous, the Spring Drive movement must be one of the best in the world, the steady motion of the blued second hand is mesmerising and the Titanium alloy case and bracelet ensure the watch is light and comfortable on the wrist. I am sure you will love yours.

[​IMG]

DaveK, vinny, Risto and 1 other person like this.
  3. vtknight Dec 29, 2019

Beautiful! You have the original as well - very nice!
    I am super excited for my Snowflake - it’s just so impressive on so many levels.

4. ewand Dec 29, 2019

I have a slightly later Snowflake than Jim, and also love it. I think there's more knowledge of GS now, but they put out so many different watches, LEs, quartz/auto/manual/Spring Drive, that it might be bewildering for some. I don't see them being any kind of investment, but they are incredible watches and even though they're not cheap by any means, when compared with a lot of other brands, the quality is another league.
    20181113_133427.jpg

1_IMG_0577.JPG 1_IMG_0578.JPG 1_IMG_0925.JPG
    DaveK, Foo2rama, vtknight and 5 others like this.
  5. janice&fred Dec 29, 2019

i'm not so sure price is a good measure of future collectability unless you also want to include diamond encrusted hublots in your predictions.

don't get me wrong I like certain GS models and especially the vintage ones but I think they will be stamping them out for many years to come. if they seem to be getting more expensive then I think the only real conclusion is Seiko is making more profit.

Waltesefalcon and vtknight like this.
  6. Evitzee Dec 29, 2019

GS dials blow any Swiss watch dial away, tremendous quality in the dials and cases. Movements are pretty well finished for the price point. Spring Drive mechanism is very innovative, accuracy on mine about +1 sec per week. GS is still a sleeper brand, but gaining traction.

sdre, vtknight and Deltatango like this.
  7. Walrus Dec 29, 2019

I love the GS mostly for those damn dials but I had no idea they were making 50k and more models. Seiko really does a great job with those dials

vtknight likes this.
  8. Deltatango Dec 29, 2019

I have to concur with the rest that dial is mesmerizing, really love that hint of blue on the second hand

vtknight likes this.
  9. jsducote Dec 30, 2019

I am warming up to the snowflake, no pun intended. There are a couple of high-beats that I really like too (SBGH213, SBGH263) and am on the fence over the innovative movement versus a superlative traditional movement.

(And before you say it, both is not currently an option until my numbers hit)

Foo2rama, vtknight and Deltatango like this.
  10. ewand Dec 30, 2019

TBH, looking at photos of the Snowflake is one thing - but when I first had one in hand in the Seiko boutique in Knightsbridge (London), I was in no doubt that I was going to get one. It's so light (the snowflake nickname applying as much to the feather weight due to the titanium case & bracelet, as the dial surface), and the spring drive movement is an amazing thing to watch.

At a watch GTG, I picked up another Grand Seiko, a high-end quartz. I love the idea of what they did with quartz and am totally not sniffy about it; but the second hand movement was completely jarring to me. A High-beat traditional movement will get close, but sit even that and a Spring Drive next to one another and I think I'd always prefer the SD.

Edited Dec 30, 2019
    vtknight and Dsloan like this.
  11. Professor Dec 30, 2019

Those dials look like they should have snowshoe tracks and ski trails , perhaps a few snow angels. The reserve indicator looks like a snow angel.

vtknight and ewand like this.
  12. vtknight Jan 5, 2020

Thank-you for your replies everyone - I was away from the internet...

The more I read about GS and specifically the snowflake - I feel there is a shift for Seiko. To one of the posters points - I agree dollar value is not the best indicator - but to get into the higher price points - they need to have some demand so I feel it does help indicate whether GS can survive against like prices watches.

Since quality and the head to head competitions seem to be going GS’s way in many reviews - I have a gut feeling as interest and knowledge of the GS brand grows - some of these initial higher end GS pieces could see some value increase many years from now.

My watch should arrive by midish January (17th-20th) - so I will post my impressions here. I am pretty excited!

13. Sherbie Jan 5, 2020

Certainly GS has many fans, and the influential Hodinkee team have been pushing GS hard over the past few years. Jack Forster, in particular, is a massive fan.

vtknight likes this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 5, 2020

Went into the Seiko Boutique in NYC, sadly wife in tow, which meant I was short leashed. I don’t know if it was the lighting but the GS line for the most part left me cold. The only piece that raised my pulse was the gold/ SS 9F with sapphire case back. “No” said Mrs S. :(

durri70 and Waltesefalcon like this.
  15. sdre Jan 5, 2020

IMG_20191231_151846-01.jpeg Screenshot_20191221_193726_com.android.gallery3d-01.jpeg

Larry, you need to find that special GS that speaks to you.

My SBGA397 and I met and it was love at first sight.

I wore my explorer 2 when I bought the GS and now I understand the hype about GS.

Waltesefalcon, ewand, SeanO and 3 others like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 5, 2020

I love this. Will keep looking.

vtknight and sdre like this.
  17. Evitzee Jan 5, 2020

Although most people tend to go for the snowflake dial there are many other dials that are killers in their own right. Just depends on what hits you.

vtknight and Foo2rama like this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 5, 2020

I wouldn’t say that GS is just starting to be known... always been huge in Japan. The new High end boutiques strategically placed in the West are raising the rep outside of watch nerds though. Watch nerds have always held them in a high regard.

Edited Jan 5, 2020
  19. vicakers Jan 5, 2020

I love the seasonal edition a that came out recently. Beautiful pieces.

vtknight likes this.
  20. vtknight Jan 5, 2020

I agree - the "peacock" GMT limited (700) edition is one that impress. I am still stuck on the simple and peaceful Snowflake however. Nothing wrong with owning two however lol.

kidkimura likes this.