Forums Latest Members
  1. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Nov 20, 2023

Thanks! I wish I could say I was smarter about it. Back then, I just wanted all of that weight gone and I thought it was a good idea to work out around two hours a day (both weight lifting & a HIIT circuit daily) all while skipping meals… ::facepalm2::. During that time I no longer ate out, cut out other unhealthy foods, and the one meal a day I was eating was healthy. I thought that was good and enough for me. It took me a while to realize it was okay for me to eat (and actually better that I did) and come up with good meal plan. I was feeling way better once I incorporated better eating habits, and I was able to make better progress towards my goals.

I’m definitely at a better place with eating now. With my above workout plan, I’m eating around 4-6 portioned meals a day.

2. Dsloan Nov 20, 2023

I'm glad that you were able to sustain the new weight. Crash dieting like that, though well-intentioned, can really do a number on your metabolism.

I have a bad habit of counting macros for 2-3 months and leaning out a bit... and then getting lazy and getting back to where I was. Which is to say, I've been yo-yoing between 200-210 for a couple years now.

If I was smart, I'd drop the watch collecting, hire a powerlifting coach, and splurge on better nutrition... but oh well.

CBM1590 and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  3. CBM1590 We don’t rent pigs. Nov 22, 2023

Thanks for your investment in the next generation of police officers. I won’t ever forget my LT…tough as nails, brilliant teacher, and hell on the mat as he taught us how to survive using a mix of techniques grounded in Brazilian Jujitsu. He and I have grown close post the few years since I’ve graduated. And now he consults my wisdom (if you can call it that) from time to time. Those cadets will never forget you. Thanks isn't enough but it is all I can offer from a distance.

My fitness regime began over 9 years ago. Every night, 365 days a year, well or ill, I do something physical before bed. Simple movements like push-ups and planks, to compound movements like squats and curls with shoulder presses. It’s kept my body fit, delivered muscle mass, and my strength is above average for a 57 year old. I still wear the same size 32 waist pants that I did 30 years ago. It has become my routine that I won’t give up…and I started it to relieve the last bit of stress of the day so I could sleep. Worked like a charm. I run some and I get in the gym on occasion. I supplement with plenty of protein and take creatine daily. Works for this old man who wants to be able to move well into my 70s and beyond.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  4. sonicosa Mar 3, 2024

For years I’ve been struggling to adopt a consistent exercise routine.

To help motivate my fitness, I signed up for a series of races this year. After completing an 8 week triathlon training program, I have a 5 mile trail run this morning. I’ll be on a ski trip next week, and when I get back I’ll continue training for an April sprint triathlon and working my way up to an off road triathlon in July. After I finish this series I’ll probably set my sights on some longer distances. Maybe I’ll try to do a half-marathon later this year and an olympic distance triathlon in 2025.

Having these races to work towards has definitely helped me to stay motivated and consistent in my training, as has picking up a bike trainer.

Edited Mar 3, 2024
    CBM1590, Scarecrow Boat and wagudc like this.
  5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 3, 2024

Running a couple miles 5 days a week. Lifting weights. Nothing really heavy, just for tone and some growth as bonus.
    Then had CT and have triple AAA. Put a damper on the regime.

CBM1590 likes this.
  6. arturo7 Mar 3, 2024

Gym, cycling, and pickleball.

But, too often, fitness whole pizza in my belly!

Archer, CBM1590 and sonicosa like this.
  7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 3, 2024

Walking is a big part of fitness - mentally and physically. So I make room for lots of that. Having grown tired of gym-smell, that weird dude, and gym fees, I’ve been working out at home for years. Motivation is key, so my wife and I use the Daily Burn app to get lots of variety from yoga to spartan race training.

IMG_0609.jpeg

Going back to motivation, every workout is done so that I build capacity and habit to do whatever I want later that day or on the weekend - cycling, hiking, kayaking…it’s especially important to have the level of fitness needed to do a corn-run into the country

IMG_0607.jpeg

Edited Mar 3, 2024
  8. Ogion Mar 3, 2024

10 weeks post shoulder surgery to fix shoulder issues from rugby days. About to go back to lifting in gym with much better range of motion which is way ahead of projections for recovery I’m pleased to say. I have done mobility 4 times a day religiously. Having done mobility I am now tempted to get into calisthenics to prioritise functionality of movement. My priorities will be 1. Mobility 2. strength/resistance and then 3. cardio: walking/ hiking ( which just happens) and a couple of 15 min HITT sessions probably involving jump rope.

I am developing a routine around minimum effort to get maximum gains to ensure I keep up with it.

DaveK, CBM1590 and wagudc like this.
  9. Pvt-Public Mar 4, 2024

I have also added beer runs (walks really) to my regime.

DaveK and wagudc like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2024

So updating this, I started working out every day in November and at this point I’m down about 25kg which is good, still a fair bit to go.

11. CBM1590 We don’t rent pigs. Mar 5, 2024

Congrats, Ash! Keep up the good work!

12. bd-chrono Mar 5, 2024

Duracuir1 likes this.
  13. wagudc Mar 5, 2024

Nice work, keep it up!

14. Dsloan Mar 5, 2024

Congrats! That's some serious weight loss for just a few months!

15. M'Bob Mar 5, 2024

This is what I see in gyms now; drives me nuts.

IMG_0031.jpeg

LesXL, TimeODanaos and DaveK like this.
  16. texasmade Mar 5, 2024

Resting between sets. Nothing wrong with that.

M'Bob likes this.
  17. Dsloan Mar 5, 2024

I'm slowing down a bit due to age, but I'm still squatting 2X+ bodyweight, so could be worse.

PXL_20240305_005033776.MP~2.jpg

18 months and then I'm a "Masters" lifer. Which means, I'll be competitive again, since there will only be ~ 3 people in my weight class at the average meet, lol.

18. M'Bob Mar 5, 2024

Agreed, it’s the interval of 10 minutes between sets that gets me…

texasmade likes this.
  19. wagudc Mar 5, 2024

I actually miss the social interaction with real human beings in the flesh. I used to make gym friends chatting between sets.

20. texasmade Mar 5, 2024

I'm also a Masters lifter. I'll need to actually sign up for a meet to see how well I can actually stack up.

Dsloan likes this.