Forums Latest Members

GNOMON watches. Who are they???

1. aggie Feb 12, 2022

Edited Feb 13, 2022
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 12, 2022

Quite an accusation. Why would you think that? They are an established dealer based in Singapore and have a pretty good reputation.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 12, 2022

Can they really do what?

4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 12, 2022

FYI
    NASA Gnomon = gimbaled rod mounted on a tripod with synthetic gray & color code on one of its legs (orientation & photo interpretation)
    Apollo 17 geologist Harrison Schmitt with a gnomon on the lunar rock... remember the " Orange Soil " find !
    A17_gnomon.jpg

Waltesefalcon, kkt and aggie like this.
  5. Fish70 Feb 12, 2022

They sell watches, they don't make them. The watch in the photo is a Steinhart Ocean One.

6. aggie Feb 12, 2022

Not an accusation. A question! Because they seem amazingly cheaper, so its a good news!

7. amcclell Feb 12, 2022

I lump Gnomon into what is often called the "grey market." There is an ecosystem of retailers who are not authorized dealers, who sell multiple brands at heavily discounted prices. I also put Jomashop and Alan Furman into this category, although they are very different companies. In some cases, there is no manufacturer warranty, but the store provides an in-house warranty. In other cases there is full warranty from the manufacturer but you need to do your due diligence. The online grey market stores often have very limited stock, so they are actually sourcing the watch after you purchase it, and act as a broker or middleman.

Don't expect to find the latest hot releases at discounts through these sources.

aggie likes this.
  8. aggie Feb 12, 2022

Ahhh! OK. I understand , now ! Well, if can be good value... or not. Thank you for the enlightenment

9. Donn Chambers Feb 12, 2022

Gnomon watches is a legitimate seller of NEW watches based in Singapore, I believe. They are an authorized dealer for many brands, including Seiko, Sinn, Ball, Rado, Hamilton, etc. They are also ADs for smaller companies that tend to specialize in “homage” watches that many here liken to fakes, but there is nothing illegal about it.

I have purchased several watches from them and highly recommend them as an online seller looking for those specific brands they sell. They are a good source of Japanese-market Seiko at a good price. One thing they also do is work with the manufacturers to create special limited editions that are only sold by Gnomon. The only watch I ever sold where I made a profit was a Gnomon limited edition Steinhart.

People who post things like this should do a little more homework first.

Ree, watchyouwant, arktree and 7 others like this.
  10. aggie Feb 12, 2022

Hi! Thank you. Sorry, I just asked. I though it was the aim of this forum. Nothing wrong in asking ! I did some research and, each time, watches were MUCH more expensive in officials stores. As there are so many fakes out there, I felt bewildered. And asked on a competent forum of watch-lovers ! That's all!

11. JwRosenthal Feb 12, 2022

They do special colab’s with Squale that are collectible among the Squale fans- some very fun and attractive. Never purchased from them but they are well regarded.

aggie likes this.
  12. Donn Chambers Feb 12, 2022

I apologize if I came off a bit snippy with that last comment, but it is a pet peeve of mine when it is clear someone has not bothered to do even a simple Google search before posting a question on a forum. Typing in “is Gnomon watches legit” finds lots of threads that can be read to get an opinion — some are negative, but after reading it appears to be more complaints with the shipper (DHL) than the actual seller.

I guess this is because I grew up before Google searches, and I had to bike to the library and search through books and magazine articles (some on microfiche!) to get information. Thus, I appreciate the ability to quickly and efficiently search for information. We live in a world of abundant information at our fingertips, yet some can’t even be bothered to do a rudimentary search and instead post a question to a forum, to Redit, to instagram, etc wanting someone else to do the work for them.

I am a professor at a major R1 university in a STEM field. I get dozens of emails every year from grade 6-12 student doing a research project asking me to give them the info or to tell them where to look for it — most of which is very easily found. Most of the time I politely tell them to do a little preliminary research and tell me what they have learned, and then I will help them with a better understanding. I have never heard back from a single one. All of my colleagues complain of the same issue.

Sorry for the rant here, but this really does irk me.

13. aggie Feb 12, 2022

@Donn Chambers : Well, I understand . The funny thing is that I am the kind of person who do a lot of research by itself. But there, I was in a hurry and so intrigued that I did a quick research - that is true.I didn't know what to conclude. So I thought about asking on the forum. .. I didn't imagine it would make a bit of fuss! Nobody is perfect! And now I know they are perfectly legitimate . Thanks a lot to all of you !

wsfarrell likes this.
  14. Walrus Feb 12, 2022

I have had pretty good luck with joma and a couple other grey markets. How does shipping to the US work with this site? Do you often have issues with fees at time of delivery? Any customs or whatever government agency issues.

15. amcclell Feb 12, 2022

I stand corrected about them being grey market and probably should have known better. I was considering one of their Squale special issue watches a couple of years ago.

wsfarrell likes this.
  16. JwRosenthal Feb 12, 2022

Long Island Watch also does Squale colab’s- special make-up’s I guess we can call them (rather than LE’s). Although some are different of course than the ones available from Gnomon. There are a few dealers that collaborate with makers to put out some neat speciality watches- they are worth paying attention to if you are into it.

Donn Chambers likes this.
  17. amcclell Feb 13, 2022

Yeah - I've seen Long Island's as well. I really liked the 30ATM model with the fancy blue dial that they had. In the end, I am more of a vintage person at heart, so none of the new ones spoke to me as much as the vintage Squale-cased divers.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  18. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 13, 2022

You might want to edit your opening post, or at least add an update. It is very negative and a trifle misinformed, libellous perhaps. People searching on Gnomon might see that and jump to an incorrect conclusion.

Edited Feb 13, 2022
  19. aggie Feb 13, 2022

@padders : Yep! I thought I should post some kind of update. So I did. But it was interrogative not affirmative! It is very rare for me to do something impulsively. Bad luck. Everybody is lecturing me.. Last time I ask a question.

20. aggie Feb 13, 2022

...and by the way let me know of there is a way to delete a thread

Edited Feb 14, 2022