Forums Latest Members

From zero to flipper in 5 months

1. Uniqez Oct 8, 2020

Just the random conspiracy theory.

Few days ago, I've received a text message from the good friend of mine. When I opened it - there were pictures of all the Rolex late models sports watches (primarily new subs, Hulk etc). The message was saying: "if you need any of that, let me know and I'll put you in contact”. I said that I'll purchase all of them at retail. After I finished joking around, I've asked about the person, who were selling the watches. It ended up being good buddy of the friend of mine, who decided to start selling watches about 5 months ago and claimed to have around 200 sold already. Prices were above retail at typical flipping point.

I have asked myself few questions: " How the hell, person just randomly decides to sell some Rolex watches and immediately gets access to all the hot models? What, if ADs are getting kickback from the grey dealers (if this is the case, why they would even move you up on the list, if you are random guy, who wants a Sub in 41mm).

Has anyone seen or heard about similar things? Just thinking out loud.

P.S. Attaching picture of my beloved Explorer 2, just for the sake of having watch picture.

20201004_194446.jpg
  2. janice&fred Oct 8, 2020

There's some guy on youtube advertising his coaching skills for instantly earning money by dealing in watches. Could be your pal subscribed to his baloney? His strategically placed fancy cars in the background are quite convincing :D

Scarecrow Boat and DaveK like this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 8, 2020

Never buy baloney from the internet ::puke::

Is this watch sales program the male version of Mary Kay? I guess that’d be Gary Kay?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 8, 2020

Mmmmm...baloney...specifically a fried baloney sammich...okay hungry now.

5. janice&fred Oct 8, 2020

Maybe in Canada. In the tri-state area we paesans call it a sangwich. :D

Rumar89, Scooterino36 and DaveK like this.
  6. Uniqez Oct 8, 2020

Honestly, I don't know what he had subscribed for, but pictures of the new models subs looked pretty good. :)

7. janice&fred Oct 8, 2020

Well the salient point of the hustler on youtube is you start out with $1000, buy a watch, then sell it for $1200. Do that 5 times and now you have $2000.
    If nothing more the guy is certainly a master of the obvious. :D

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 8, 2020

Had a mate in my footy team do the same with ice years ago. A wife, kids, house to locked up in 9 months.
    He was pretty good at it, don’t think he needed YouTube though.......

janice&fred likes this.
  9. abrod520 Oct 8, 2020

What tri-state area is this? In the actual Tri-State area we'll skip the fried bologna and take a meatball sub instead, thanks

janice&fred likes this.
  10. Uniqez Oct 8, 2020

That is fantastic business model :D

janice&fred likes this.
  11. janice&fred Oct 8, 2020

You got the wrong guy. Al said fried bologna. :D

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 8, 2020

When I seed someone say "tri-state area" I just smh...every 3 adjoining states seem to have one...

flw and blufinz52 like this.
  13. Scooterino36 Oct 8, 2020

Since moving to Connecticut, I’ve also noted that you call what we refer to as “subs” back in Massachusetts as “wedges”. Learned that the hard way when I ordered my first steak and cheese on a roll instead of a wedge.

janice&fred likes this.
  14. Dan S Oct 8, 2020

There was someone on another forum that gave a lengthy explanation of how he did something similar. He basically went around to different ADs and bought a bunch of less desirable watches, and then they also were willing to sell him the desirable ones, sometimes. He sold the less desirable ones at break even, or small loss, and flipped the sport models for larger profit. It sounded like a lot of work for a modest profit. And obviously people like this are just parasites.

15. janice&fred Oct 8, 2020

Here in the New Haven area the Italian bread sangwiches are usually called subs or grinders. I haven't seen them referred to as wedges yet but with my electronic ankle bracelet I don't get out of the house much. :D

Thrasher36 and Scooterino36 like this.
  16. Uniqez Oct 8, 2020

Thank you Dan. That makes sense. I was thinking about the deal, where person has friends at AD and snagging all the sports models while sharing profits with that friend.

17. Scooterino36 Oct 8, 2020

Just looked it up, it’s originally a Westchester, NY thing, that has infiltrated Fairfield County.

janice&fred likes this.
  18. Dan S Oct 8, 2020

Could be. I've heard a lot of speculation about things like that as well.

19. schoolboy Oct 8, 2020

I think it would be hard for this guy to find an AD that will sell him a the hot watches at retail so he can flip them

I think that is hard in general

to do it in 5 months ? Even harder.

my thinking is that this guy found a grey dealer who is offering him a better price than market value

say $1000 or $2000 off

then, this guy will sell at market value, make some money, and the grey dealer gets to move inventory as well, and hopefully pretty quickly

Uniqez likes this.
  20. schoolboy Oct 8, 2020

About the deal of said guy having a friend at an AD and splitting profits...

i highly doubt it, unless the “friend” is the store manager or owner

because AD sales people fight for the hot models so THEY can sell them to their VIP customers and keep them happy and coming back for more diamonds for the wives or whatever

Uniqez likes this.