Forums Latest Members
  1. Dock Mar 15, 2023

Clearing out my old desk I found 2 wrist watches among the debris at the back of a drawer. I have no idea how they came to be there but guess that they once belonged to my father. I was surprised to find that they both seem to work.

I spent far too long browsing images online trying to identify them and getting nowhere. Neither has a number that I can see. Both have clearly seen better days.

Can anybody here help to identify these?

DSC_0332.JPG DSC_0333.JPG DSC_0336.JPG DSC_0339.JPG

Danwales and Dash1 like this.
  2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 15, 2023

The second watch (Geneve) looks like a ref 166.0170 which should house a 1022 movement.
    The older watch may be a 1940's model, but you will probably have to have a look inside to gain more information.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. lucian23 Mar 15, 2023

I am still looking in my back of my drawer but i did not find anything yet.. i will keep looking :). Welcome to the forum!

4. Bruce235 Mar 15, 2023

Good score.
    They are actually in good shape, just a clean and crystal polish will have them showing well. The dials are good and that is important. Case appear unpolished also good.
    Will need a service if you want to wear them.

5. Bruce235 Mar 15, 2023

First one needs a new crown which may be a challenge to find an Omega one, but a nicer generic would look much better.

Spruce likes this.
  6. Dock Mar 17, 2023

Fascinating. Many thanks for providing the magic number 166.0170. Adding this to my image search now finds a lot of matches. While there is variation in the bezel and hands some appear to be pretty much identical, including a 1974 image on the Omega website.

I think that this may need more than just a good clean. There is a tiny shatter in the crystal edge between 30 and 33.

7. Dock Mar 17, 2023

I'm a little surprised at how the first one looks in the photograph. The intense light really brings out the scratches on the crystal but doesn't really show the foxing on the dial. Of the two, I think this is the prettier, I like its simplicity and the patina attesting to its age.

8. Vitezi Mar 17, 2023

Hi @Dock and welcome to the forum! If you intend to wear either one of those watches on a regular basis, it's recommended that you find an independent watchmaker near you who is familiar with vintage watches and ask them to provide a basic clean/oil/adjust service. All of the lubricating oils in the watch movements will have dried up during the time they sat in your desk drawer, so the watchmaker will disassemble the watches, clean and inspect the parts for wear and tear, and reassemble the watches and adjust the movements for accurate timekeeping. Then you'll have a couple of reliable, accurate and stylish watches to wear for years to come.

9. Dock Mar 18, 2023

Now that I am reasonably confident that they are genuine my next step has to be visiting a professional.

10. wilderbeast Mar 18, 2023

Great find! Well done for asking for advice - a service is definitely needed. If you post your location, there will be members here who may be able to recommend a sympathetic, competent watchmaker for you.

11. Dock Mar 18, 2023

I'm based in London UK so there are many watchmakers from which to choose, although truth be told I find their websites a little intimidating. I do get about so anywhere south of Telford and west of Reading is possible.

12. wilderbeast Mar 20, 2023

I use Stefan Stefansson www.vintagewatchfever.co.uk and he’s been very good. Likely to be busy, but does a thorough job. He’s based in Essex.

13. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Mar 20, 2023

Hi, the first one could be a CK2063 with a 23.4SC inside. No signed crown on those references,

14. DrmexicoII Mar 21, 2023

I found a watchmaker local to me via the British Horological Institute. BHI Accredited Repairers : British Horological Institute

Obviously you'll need to do some additional research on top (are they happy to tackle vintage, cost etc?) but it seemed like a good place to start without a personal recommendation.