Forums Latest Members

Need some information with numbers on the back of watch case

1. Vic Mar 13, 2018

I have an older Omega - purchased it many years back and do not know the exact age - so help with this would be appreciated. Looks right as rain to me but I am a novice - simply an antique dealer with a bunch of old watches that I have stored in a box for who knows how long P3340149.JPG P3340153.JPG P3340159.JPG P3340146.JPG P3340175.JPG P3340169.JPG . The back case has a six digit number - its 135030 TOOL 105 . First I would like to know what the six digit number means and if the tool for opening is still available to purchase . I do not have familiarity with removing this type of back - meaning one that doesn't have an obvious lip to get under and pry up. There is already an obvious scratch on the back that was there prior to me buying the watch. Can anyone suggest a tool for doing this , I mean besides the back case knife . One more thing - does this crown look correct , its silver in color and the watch is obviously gold or gold filled ?

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 13, 2018

There is no caseback on this watch, the movement comes out from the front after the crown and crystal have been removed. That's where tool 105 comes in. There is a hallmark on the 5o'clock lug which suggests the watch is solid gold.

Dedalus05 likes this.
  3. Vic Mar 13, 2018

Thank you - I did notice the hallmark but was not sure it signified gold - great to hear that . Does it mean solid gold ? I found a few threads that suggested the first number a 1 meant 18K gold - 2 steel - 3 chrome ,etc. The second number was supposed to indicate the type of movement #1 Time Only #2 Chronograph - the thing is mine has a number 3 so I am wonder about this. I appreciate your help . Does the crown appear to be correct to you ?

4. sat968 Mar 13, 2018

In case you are interested, this web page has some information on these tools. http://old-omegas.com/tool107.html

5. Vic Mar 13, 2018

Thank You ! You're avatar is appropriate for me as I am Polish by heritage and my last name means squirrel in Polish - so let me appropriate your avatar - a squirrel scratching his noggin - sort of fits me.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 13, 2018

Tool 105 is still available from Omega, however they do not sell these to the general public. You may be able to get one via a watchmaker that has an Omega parts account.

Cheers, Al

7. Vic Mar 13, 2018

Thank You once again Al ! I live in a rural area and had one clock and watch repair person that I trusted with everything - when he passed I never found anyone to fill his shoes . He would charge me $15 to clean and oil my movements - the last time I spoke to a watch repair person they wanted $125 or so - I gave up after that. Anyway - your help is most appreciated.

8. sat968 Mar 13, 2018

Please go ahead and use it. PM me if you want to full resolution version. I keep a number of these whimsical animals rotating on my wallpaper.

9. Vicke Mar 13, 2018

Another one! The rodent infestation on this forum....!!!! :rolleyes:

sat968 likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 13, 2018

Did the guy charging $15 die of starvation?

Not sure how anyone could survive charging that little...

11. Vic Mar 18, 2018

The man was retired and in his 80s , just doing it to keep busy and make some side cash. Basically he only worked for people he knew , like myself. I would take him 10 - 20 clocks or watches, and he would do them when time permitted. I mostly took him clocks and pocket watches .