Forums Latest Members
  1. Dash1 Nov 17, 2017

Well done sir! I take my hat off to you. Great story and a great result.

watch3s likes this.
  2. Dash1 Nov 17, 2017

Not so sure that the AML is missing, I think it's just not reflecting, I've taken photos similar to this. The AML isn't glued on but held in place by two pins, if the logo is missing from a dial you can see the two pin holes.
    I also think the hands might be original ones, just repainted white (and not very well.)

lando, Kmart, TLIGuy and 1 other person like this.
  3. davidswiss Nov 17, 2017

Well done to you and the people in Ecuador who, presumably, were happy to let it go home.

4. gdupree Nov 17, 2017

Now there's an interesting thought about the hands.

Looking harder at them now, you could totally be right. The chrono seconds hand is the tear drop shape that would be correct to this era. MWO does state that "There are some spare parts to replace the hands of configuration C1. The differences from the original hands include luminova coating and a shorter point of the chronograph seconds hand." But now that I look at it, it does look like they could possibly have painted the entire hand, including the lume plots. A luminova replacement hand, if the servicer was knowledgable enough to source the correct replacement, would likely still have had a distinguishable different in color from the lume and hand.

If you look closely, it almost looks like you can see rough areas in the lume plots from deteriorated lume that may have been painted over. Very interesting observation, and intriguing consideration.

5. TLIGuy Nov 17, 2017

I didn't know pins held the AML in place on the dial. That's why I couched my comment with "might be missing" In both images something appears off to my eye. In the 1st photo shared by @gdupree it appears to me as if the dial may have faded over the years then later the AML was lost and appears darker where the logo was set unfaded. Is the 2nd collectSPACE image where the logo sits it appears odd as well. Like you said, it could be the lighting but judging by the state of the hands someone has tinkered around inside the watch so I guess we won't know its true condition until Dr. Lavassure gets her hands on it and documents it with new images at the NASM.

EDIT 11/20 - @Dash1 is correct. After looking at the NASM Speedmasters almost all of the AML appear in the same fashion. Funny what light can do to the appearance of the AML.

Edited Nov 20, 2017
  6. Overgrower Nov 17, 2017

Your efforts and actions are much appreciated. Wonderful that such an important piece of history has been recovered for all to enjoy.

7. perks713 Nov 17, 2017

That's amazing! Well done! I hope you get a chance to see the watch in person, hell, the museum outta let you wear it for a few minutes ;)

8. jaspert Nov 17, 2017

Great story and kudos to you for your part in its recovery.

9. Looneytoons Nov 17, 2017

This story made national news today. The story was covered on CBS radio, KNX 1070 Los Angeles, but from a national feed.

Very well done sir!

10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 18, 2017

Details of the " lost or stolen " Flown Speedmaster chronographs aren't that private... but very well known!
    Astronauts' flown Speedies missing: ( without their NASA serial )
    James Lovell, Donn Eisele (recovered 2017), Edwin Aldrin (whereabouts!), Stuart Roosa and Joseph Kerwin
    ::book::
    Furthermore Gen Thomas Stafford's gold tribute #13 Speedmaster...

OmegaAddicts have their own list:

Omega_NASM_NASA.jpg
  11. mikesspeedy Nov 19, 2017

OHHH VERY, VERY, VERY EFFIN COOL. you will always be a part of the story of this watch. go get the other 5.

I assume when the collector who "acquires" the watch dies others do not necessarily understand its significance and it eventually resurfaces?

watch3s likes this.
  12. Ninja2789 Nov 19, 2017

this is so CRAZY!

This is also why I love this hobby. The dedication to history, story-telling, and the sheer serendipitous nature of it all. Thanks so much for contributing and for reclaiming part of the provenance of this great watch.

13. gdupree Nov 19, 2017

That could be one way. It's all speculation, but you would have a tough time convincing me that any legitimate collector truly bought one of these watches without understanding it's significance, or at least having a decent enough idea of the watch's potential provenance to responsibly inform the authorities.

Again, entirely speculation/opinion on my part, but it's tough to fain ignorance on these things when even a quick google of the SEB number on the case back will quickly yield results on it's NASA part number. Even if it's not a conclusive identification, it's enough for an honest person to seek more information from a professional.

14. imajedi (not even a padawan) Nov 19, 2017

Incredible story. You are part of speedmaster legend and lore forever forward. I'm speechless other than just to say thank you!!

watch3s likes this.
  15. mikesspeedy Nov 20, 2017

Yes good point of course. Would a DNA test on the bracelet throw up wearers information I would imagine that a watch bracelet would be a good place to find DNA, probably from more than one wearer.

16. wwhntr Nov 20, 2017

I’ve nearly “thrown up” while removing previous owner(s) DNA from old bracelets::puke::(Sorry, I should refrain from sending this thread down the toilet!)

Amazing involvement in assistance locating lost historical time/space history! Please keep thread going...would love updates on any future found flown watches!

17. gdupree Nov 20, 2017

While I imagine this isn't a concern that the authorities would consider pursuing, as someone with the insatiable disease of curiosity, I would very much like to see that pursued. Of course, it wouldn't make any sense, since even the presence of identifiable DNA would in no way implicate or prove wrongdoing by any party - I imagine it would be fairly useless information to have. Then again, this watch probably hasn't seen a ton of wrist time over the last three decades, at least one would hope...

18. kkt Nov 20, 2017

I would be surprised if Ecuador has a sizeable database of people's DNA dating back to when the watch vanished.

watch3s likes this.
  19. Vitezi Nov 20, 2017

20. hotwheels Nov 21, 2017

Well done and very exciting, I'm not sure that many others would have followed the trail so doggedly and passed it off as a fake...