Forums Latest Members

FOTD Facepalm Of The Day thread

1. apsm100 applysome! May 9, 2020

kov and DaveK like this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 14, 2020

Ok, contributing this beauty to the thread...replacing a worn intermediate wheel on a movement, pulled out a new wheel, and found this:

Intermediate wheel2.jpg

In the event that the problem is not immediately obvious, here it beside another new (but correct) wheel:

Intermediate wheel1.jpg

It begs the question...where are my pinion leaves? ::facepalm1::

Longbow, Wuza72, Spacefruit and 10 others like this.
  3. kov Trüffelschwein. May 17, 2020

4. alam May 17, 2020

can’t believe I have been missing so many great deals on Etsy :p

47A88CF5-476C-4711-911D-A25F53969F6B.gif
    vitriol, eugeneandresson and kov like this.
  5. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 13, 2020

Last night I threw on a raincoat, grabbed a glass of wine and went and sat in the shed doorway for a while. You know, listening to the rain, watching the housemartins zooming about, the sound of the wind, getting closer to nature and so on. It was lovely. Then on the way back to the house I trod on a snail and ruined it all.

6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 16, 2020

Good news, the coffee maker’s timer works as it should and it started brewing a fresh pot at 6:00am. Bad news, the carafe was still in the dishwasher :whipped:

kkt, Taddyangle, looselywound and 2 others like this.
  7. Lostpuppy116 Jun 16, 2020

Oh my... I hear bath towels work as there are no paper towels left in the world...

DaveK likes this.
  8. Dor_42 Jun 16, 2020

The name makes it sound like a very inappropriate cleaning service

Aquariusmatic likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 16, 2020

The other day my wife was cooking something on the BBQ (which we have connected to our main gas line - got tired of running out of propane) and as she always does she turns the main valve off, rather than the burners on the unit. I went out to close up the BBQ and in a brain fart I turned the valve on again, and closed the lid, picked up the tongs and came inside.

Next day she noticed a smell of natural gas, and called me out to check. Followed the smell around to the back of the house and right to the BBQ. It had been pouring out the burners all night and part of the next day... ::facepalm1::

10. ExpiredWatchdog Jun 17, 2020

Lucky it didn't spontaneously combust. Reminds me of a natural gas grill we had in the common area of my first apartment out of college. The only way to start it was to turn the gas on with the lid closed, let it run for several seconds, crack the lid and throw a match in.

One time I must have blown that lid 40 ft into the air. The designer must have had me in mind when they designed it, the hinges would completely separate if pulled straight up. Lost some knuckle hair there. ::facepalm1::

DaveK and kov like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2020

We had a fire in a older BBQ when we first moved into the house we are in now. We were making salsa all day, and since all the burners inside were being used for the salsa and sterilizing the jars before filling, we were using the BBQ for the boiling water bath for processing the jars after filling. Very late in the day after many hours of it running, I went out to remove some jars from the pan and saw flames - the knobs had melted off completely and the hose leading to the propane tank was burning down towards the tank like a wick...

I ran and grabbed a chemical fire extinguisher, and as I was running back to the deck I pulled the pin and accidentally squeezed some off in the house - that stuff gets everywhere. :eek: I stepped out onto the deck and it had started to rain, and I slipped and fell flat on my arse. Got up put out the fire, but everything was so hot I really felt I had to turn off the tank or it would reignite. I can still remember reaching in to turn the tank off, cringing just waiting for it to blow up in my face.

It didn't, and after it was closed and I shut the patio doors, my wife asked if it was safe now. I said I think so, but she wanted to call the fire department to see what else we should do. She called and specifically stated that the fire was out, but we wanted to know if there was anything else we needed to do. The fire department is a local volunteer department, with many of the people in our neighbourhood members, and the fire hall is maybe 1.5 kms from our house. The person on the phone said they would call and have someone just come over and check it out for us. Next thing we hear sirens and the engine pulls up in front of our house with everyone in their gear like the house is burning down.

We had been in the house for maybe a month or so, so the good thing was we got a chance to meet a lot more of ours neighbours as they all came running to see what was going on...:)

12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 17, 2020

A fledgling house sparrow was found floating in a water bowl inside the chicken run Sunday afternoon. I fished it out, saw that it was still alive and took it in the house to revive it. Mrs noelekal took over and carefully dried it, made a special sparrow drying devise out of a large paper grocery sack, placed it inside with some small bird seed to much.

Late afternoon, it was lively and rarin' to go. I thought to place it in some shrubbery at the hose next door where it could have cover. She said we needed to put it back where we found it because birdie mothers keep an eye out and will find their young. I said it'll be more risky because of the cats, but she insisted.

The bird was released inside the chicken run. It immediately popped out the side of the chicken run wire, fluttered all the way across the driveway to the carport and went under the car where Mrs. noelekal's cat Felix was already waiting on it. He pounced, chomped and that was it.

DaveK likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2020

One reason why cats should be kept inside.

http://www.ace-eco.org/vol8/iss2/art11/

DaveK likes this.
  14. jsducote Jun 18, 2020

Aww, I love watching the house sparrows at my feeder. I feel like they've got so much character as compared to the skittish cardinals, dopey doves, loud bluejays, and belligerent mockingbirds. The little boys like to hop around and try to put on a show, while the girls jump right to a peg and start eating as if to say, "whatever dude."

noelekal likes this.
  15. ExpiredWatchdog Jun 18, 2020

Speaking of birds and facepalms, I used to keep a bird feeder on the porch, in view of the kitchen window. The feeder was rodent-proof, but the damn birds kept throwing out the seed they didn't want and it attracted squirrels. I didn't mind the squirrels but one day my wife looked out and saw a rat. The feeder came down immediately.

Fast forward a couple weeks, the garage started to smell. Then I found a few maggots crawling around and a week or so later, we had the most enormous flies. All the while the garage smelled something fierce. Obviously I tried to find the dead rat but no joy.

The smell eventually subsided and maybe a couple months later, I found a block of rat bait on a shelf, partly eaten. ::facepalm1::

I did have great fun killing all the flies with an electric fly swatter. If you haven't tried one, the are great for killing all types of insects. Harbor Freight for a few dollars. The batteries cost as much.

DaveK likes this.
  16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 26, 2020

‘Ring of fire’ dial :taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt:

EAE13CF7-F688-4889-A13F-AAC65FBFB1E9.jpeg

‘Ring of Fakked’ more like it ::facepalm1::

Eve, KeithS and kov like this.
  17. kov Trüffelschwein. Jun 26, 2020

Creativity strikes again ::psy::

eugeneandresson likes this.
  18. Steve Essex Jun 26, 2020

Many years ago, while we were having our lunch break in the tea room of garage I worked at, a car nosed into the garage and the driver proceeded to blow his horn to attract our attention. We thought 'ignorant git, get out and come over' and ignored him. He then reversed out, turned his car round and reversed back in so that his door was parallel with the tea room door. He opened his door and said "I’m not being rude, but I haven’t got any legs"! Sure enough, he didn’t and we were falling over ourselves to help the fella! ::facepalm1::

eugeneandresson likes this.
  19. vitriol Aug 7, 2020

20. 8100_RPM Aug 7, 2020

That’s not quite as bad as those rim locks that appeared in the late 90’s that basically covered up the wheels you were trying to protect.