Forums Latest Members
  1. DocJ Apr 19, 2022

Hello! Several months ago I decided to bring my father’s 1950’s tarnished and not running seamaster back to life. It is currently in Switzerland while Omega works it’s magic. Since then I have been following the Forum as a guest and just yesterday became a member. I also have been looking on eBay and other sites at vintage Omega watches to learn more about them and now I’ve gotten hooked (I am sure all of you can relate)!

Is there a way to post a link on the Forum to get input and advice from experienced members regarding vintage watches one is considering purchasing? Before I post I want to learn how and where to do this correctly so as not to offend or break any rules on Day One.

Thank you!

2. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 19, 2022

Welcome!

You can open a topic in the vintage Omega section and ask for advice. We appreciate it if you do some work yourself i.e. give us your observations

Crosses fingers...

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 19, 2022

Yes…Do some research on your own and give us your thoughts. Post pictures, don’t make us click links. Please and thank you are appreciated. We don’t respond well to rude, imperious demands for appraisals. Lots of resources here on OF, including Learn To Fish. We also respond well to folks who stuck around and participate, Learn as they go.

Edited Apr 19, 2022
    noelekal likes this.
  4. DocJ Apr 19, 2022

LOL. I was wondering what Learn to Fish was all about! Thank you all for your replies. I will continue to explore the Forum and follow your advice. Thanks again.

noelekal and Aludic like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2022

Don’t forget tidings and gifts…and baked goods, we like baked goods.

6. gbesq Apr 19, 2022

Oh boy . . . :rolleyes:

ChiefMark and JwRosenthal like this.
  7. Walrus Apr 19, 2022

What a fine gentleman we have here concerned about not breaking rules on day 1. I usually break rules until someone tells me I broke one and make adjustments as I go.

vintage hab likes this.
  8. Dan S Apr 19, 2022

You will want to start a thread, providing photos and all the information that you have available, including the asking price and your own desires and preferences. I'd suggest reviewing a number of similar threads first, so you can get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

9. SkunkPrince Apr 19, 2022

What's this "we" stuff? Some of us prefer alchohol!

JwRosenthal likes this.
  10. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 19, 2022

Why not both? I’ll gladly accept a rum cake :thumbsup:

YY77, ChiefMark and JwRosenthal like this.
  11. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2022

Am I the only person left on the planet that loves a real Christmas spiced fruit cake? I mean the ones that use about a pint of brandy in them, not this Whole Foods tea toddler shit.

12. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 19, 2022

If this was placed in front of me…
    40711856-B8F3-47C1-A056-053642096920.gif

13. LesXL Apr 20, 2022

Hello and welcome. Curious to see Omega's magic work once you get the watch back.

On top of all what has been said above, posting pictures helps, posting good quality ones helps even better. I understand it is not easy on many occasions when they come from internet. But I guess the logic here is that for any potential buy, getting appropriate information, and high quality pictures will help you and others providing feedbacks, identifying potential dial issues etc.

Enjoy the hobby, and like in any other topic you'll deep dive in, errors will be made, and it is part of the learning curve.

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 20, 2022

Speaking as a Half Slav/ Half German, it is possible to have a good X Mass fruitcake. The Italians know this too. That leaden crap with the half life of a Twinkie is an abomination.

JwRosenthal and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  15. riimar Apr 21, 2022

Apart from the fruitcakes, I would like to say
    Welcome!
    And do post some photos when your watch is back.

Just a little tip before you end up buying several other watches. You will, wait and see.
    Do your research before buying, so you don't need to learn the hard way.
    Many good fakes around these days and the vintage world is a jungle..
    And...
    Don't bid on ebay auctions under the influence.. :D