Forums Latest Members

Forstner 1450 bracelet sneak peek

1. vlaspri Jan 2, 2021

Dear OF members,

A couple days ago Forstner posted pictures via their IG about their upcoming 1450 look alike bracelet with solid 19/20mm end links, removable by screws links, updated clasp and two finish options (the polished edge or central links will look pretty strange on this one I think).

What are your thoughts on this one?

55F5371D-60C9-43F6-909A-337B4671B806.jpeg 1CBA0C1C-EC55-46E4-909C-42868EDEDB6F.jpeg

Dash likes this.
  2. wagudc Jan 2, 2021

I get the bracelets modeled after the flatlinks. They are pretty generic in a way, but to copy a unique Omega model and advertise it under the same name seems wrong. Imagine an homage Submariner called the 5513.

vlaspri and cvalue13 like this.
  3. texasmade Jan 2, 2021

Forstner and US use the Omega names because it's easier for us to remember. Imagine the 1450 or 1171 being called rounded solid links or rounded hollow links. People would need to go look it up whereas calling it a 1450 or 1171, most people already know what you're referring to.

vlaspri and kov like this.
  4. wagudc Jan 2, 2021

I suppose I am questioning of copying the products in the first place. Especially the 1171 which is still available from Omega.

Thommas and cvalue13 like this.
  5. texasmade Jan 2, 2021

Cheaper alternative or not available. Omega bracelets are like at least $500 whereas US is less than $100 and Forstner is like $150.

1450 isn't made any more and Omega doesn't have a flat link for sale for the FOIS. The 20mm A11 flat link only works on the new Speedmaster cases, supposedly.

6. zwjk Jan 2, 2021

As an example, not everyone can afford to buy a 1039 for $2.5k.

Forstner is offering a decent alternative for less than 10% of the original. I was a skeptic at first but I just received mine and it’s worth every dollar.

The only alternative that was available previously was one from eBay for around $600 and the end links didn’t even fit the case.

marco and vlaspri like this.
  7. wagudc Jan 2, 2021

I have no issue with the flatlinks, see my first post in this thread.

zwjk and cvalue13 like this.
  8. cvalue13 Jan 2, 2021

the paragraph above would be *gold* to an IP/TM lawyer representing Omega on this

9. cvalue13 Jan 2, 2021

Me thinks you’re confusing what you like with what is legal

I made that mistake once in Reno around ‘98, and I’ve not been back to California since

10. Pazzo Jan 3, 2021

I wonder what that "mistake" was. ... :)

cvalue13 likes this.
  11. Pazzo Jan 3, 2021

I don't think that there's Omega stamped on any of the products coming from both mentioned companies.

12. zwjk Jan 3, 2021

Please elaborate as I am curious. AFAIK, the design of the Forstner flat link is nothing like the original 1039. Is this still an issue?

13. zwjk Jan 3, 2021

I stand corrected!

14. cvalue13 Jan 3, 2021

I do think the forum will need to eventually confront its strict rule against ‘homage’ watches as relates to the forum’s now growing enthusiasm for ‘homage’ watch parts such as these.

The JBs were a different thing; the flatlink has ventured into another thing (in my view**), while these new offerings appear to be going unarguably elbow deep.

I don’t begrudge the nice folks behind these companies, in the same way I can’t begrudge the folks who make homage watches. Doesn’t mean I should support the products that appear to run afoul of the same principles behind the forum rules against supporting homage “watches.”

**to wit, on another thread, one of these company’s appeared to gave ‘wink-wink, nudge-nudge’ reasons for why the flatlink is not available from their non-U.S. location

Timo832000 likes this.
  15. cvalue13 Jan 3, 2021

I hope you’ll not find the following rhetorical device too offensive or personal, but instead only a part of a conversation worth taking seriously:

“As an example, not everyone can afford to buy a [Submariner 16610] for [$10K].

[Steinhart] is offering a decent alternative for less than 10% of the original. I was a skeptic at first but I just received mine and it’s worth every dollar.

The only alternative that was available previously was one from eBay for around [$6000] and [it was only that cheap because it was a bad example].”

16. RI Omega Fan Jan 3, 2021

We all seem to love Uncle Seiko bracelets and straps - I have four (so far!) - as well as Forstner products. The merits of each have been discussed at great length on a lot of threads.

But having said that, this forum recently jumped all over a guy who made a really good reproduction DON bezel, even though, if I remember correctly, he claimed it was a one-off and he had no intention to sell them. Is there really much difference between repro bezels and bracelets? Where is the line drawn?

17. vlaspri Jan 3, 2021

1171 is still available from Omega?! Now this is interesting. Ordering through Omega boutiques and dealers or there’s any other way to have it?

18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 3, 2021

He is selling them though. And his magic dinstinguishable trick is UV reactivity, which I find great. He is not trying to deceive, giving an easy tell, and satisfying the pedant urge to dismiss any differences to vintage ones that we all love to spot. But I don't want to open up this kettle of fish ...

marco, speedamatuer and RI Omega Fan like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Jan 3, 2021

Same with a member who proposed having repro bezels made for the SM120- which is a long NLA part and rarer than hens teeth.
    I have no issue with Forstner reissuing the flatlink as JBC made flatlink bracelets (and Forstner owns the name rights to JBC now) just like the made the Komfit.
    Jjustification can be made for US making the Holzer and his flatlink- neither are currently available from any other maker in that style (other than Forstner and it’s a different design).
    Aftermarket bracelets have been a part of horology since the wrist watch hit the market- in fact it was the aftermarket that existed before they became in house offerings (Gay Freres, Bonklip, JBC, Kreisler).

I do agree that calling them by their Omega number gets into grey territory.

RI Omega Fan likes this.
  20. M'Bob Jan 3, 2021

For me the line is when the mostly uninformed can easily distinguish the difference.

SpikiSpikester and RI Omega Fan like this.