Forums Latest Members

Forgetting to wear a watch

1. Walrus Oct 17, 2020

When I was looking through the forum yesterday someone mentioned they went to work and forgot to put on a watch. They were in such a bad way his job decided it was best he just go home.

I found it very funny as I’ve done that a few times and I end up annoying everyone around me as I complain out loud about it all day. People tell me to shut up and use my phone like a normal person. I guess that is logical advice but seriously not having a watch on is a similar feeling as not wearing a belt. I just don’t feel comfortable. It’s not about the flash, no one cares or asks me what type of watch I’m wearing except on the rare occasion they might bring it up as they know it’s an interest of mine.

I notice my director will give me an odd look as I sit for a few minutes getting the date right on a automatic. I’ll set the time but wait till I get to work to set the date. It’s just me and him in the office so he cant help but hear when I swear if I pass the date and have to start over.

it’s not just work, it’s going anywhere. I guess I was glad someone wrote that as it made me realize I’m not alone. I mean it’s surely a mental thing it’s not like it’s hard to find out what time it is in today’s day and age

JohnWoo, noelekal, kov and 15 others like this.
  2. Om3ga321 Oct 17, 2020

Your not alone.
    There must be some medical condition we fall under but I think the medical fraternity has not nailed it as yet.
    We can only live in hope.

3. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Oct 17, 2020

I once turned around and drove home 20 miles or so because I realised I had forgotten to put my watch on after my morning shower. I would have been on edge all day otherwise :(

Shabbaz, schoolboy, Kmart and 5 others like this.
  4. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Oct 17, 2020

I feel naked without mine, even if I’ve taken it off to wash the dishes. It’s an institution and you don’t mess with it.

Buster, JohnWoo, vintage hab and 9 others like this.
  5. akshayluc420 Oct 17, 2020

I was about 8 or 9 nine years old when I told my closest friend (basically my brother) that I wanted to go to church with him and his family, he told me that the way to Sign the Cross was 'spectacles-testicles-watch-wallet'. Naturally, I giggled like a moron.

Today, I do something similar when leaving the house or departing a venue to check if I have the necessities: watch-wallet-keys-phone. I have never left home without it, though now I need to add 'mask' to the mix!

Dan S, JohnWoo, kov and 10 others like this.
  6. Twocats Married... with children Oct 17, 2020

I have done this before, I have even turned the car around to go home and change watches.

I had a Rolex OP39 that every time I wore it my business day didn’t go as planned, I became convinced it was influencing things so I sold it. Obviously nothing really changed as we all have good and bad days but that OP was worn every time things went south.

janice&fred and Gav1967 like this.
  7. Jonathan40 Oct 17, 2020

Same for me not 20miles but 4 to the motorway and realised at the lights so back round home and watch recovered.
    Shame it was 05-50 and woke the wife up doing it.
    Can’t bear not wearing a watch.

Buster, janice&fred and Gav1967 like this.
  8. Walrus Oct 17, 2020

Td td
    yup, not to get off topic but we have gone out shopping and had to turn home to come back and get masks. It’s like on the weekends I forget the pandemic is still around.

JohnWoo, wilderbeast and DaveK like this.
  9. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 17, 2020

Perfect reason to add to the collection. But honey, I needed to know the time.

Twocats, janice&fred and Walrus like this.
  10. Canuck Oct 17, 2020

The answer is to never take your watch (or A watch), off. Mine comes off when I shave or shower, or do rough work, but it goes back on when I’m done. I forget pens, keys, cell phone, mask, wallet, etc., but never a watch.

noelekal, apsm100, schoolboy and 3 others like this.
  11. Flatfoot Oct 17, 2020

Leaving the house without a watch hasn’t happened for something like 40 years. For me, the equivalent of not wearing a watch would be like walking out of the house without pants on. I’d know it immediately.

I do keep a Seiko super Mod in my brief case Should some grimy mechanical task pop up at work - or I forget my watch for the first time in modern history:whistling:
    image.jpg

12. SkunkPrince Oct 17, 2020

I gave up on pocket watches when I kept looking at my wrist for the time.

DaveK and janice&fred like this.
  13. Marsimaxam Oct 17, 2020

I can't recall ever leaving my home without a watch on my wrist. My watch and eyeglasses sit side by side on my nightstand and I'm not going very far without either.

If I ever do forget my watch, I'll just chalk it up to a senior moment.

Pazzo likes this.
  14. janice&fred Oct 17, 2020

Good topic and for me, since I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I pre-prepare for those disasters by stashing extra masks and a semi-decent watch in the car. So far so good and the stashed watch comes in handy when I feel like a change during the day and also gets rotated in the same manner. Believe it or not I usually carry extra shoes and socks along with various articles of clothing in the trunk as well. It's a good backup as I often find myself roaming far from home and the weather usually changes quick here in Connecticut.

Twocats and Walrus like this.
  15. rob#1 Oct 17, 2020

The worst thing about forgetting your watch is the unsightly light patch where the sun hasn’t reached the skin on your wrist for yonks (this is obviously more of an issue where I live than London, etc. ;))

kov, schoolboy, wilderbeast and 3 others like this.
  16. lindo Oct 17, 2020

Technically known as Watch Deprivation Syndrome, or vacantwristitis.

noelekal, kov, apsm100 and 8 others like this.
  17. Dor_42 Oct 18, 2020

If I remember correctly I always had a watch on my wrist growing up, my first watch (that I can remember) was an old Casio my dad found on a back road in the middle of nowhere.
    He was driving his car when he noticed something on the road, stopped his car right over it, opened his door and picked it up.
    It was a little beaten up but in working condition and after a bit of cleaning looked ok.
    He gave it to me and even tho it wasn't special I loved it! I think I was around 6-7 years old and it hasn't been long since my parents got divorced (most civil divorce ever if I may add, we kept celebrating holidays together and to this day my parents are still good friends).
    I guess something about the watch made me feel connected to my dad (even tho I saw him quite often).
    I think I may still have it, will have to look for it now!

Anyway, like I said, since that watch I remember I always had one on, and then came the army...
    During boot camp a watch was not a matter of convenience - you HAD to have one on AT ALL TIMES! Everything was timed, getting from point A to point B (by running, crawling, carrying gear, etc.), meals were timed, even going to take a piss was timed to the second and boy oh boy you don't want to know what happened if any of those tasks took longer than it should.
    So at this point in life time became a dreaded concept, and having a watch on was not because I liked it or because I wanted to - I HAD to have one on which kind of explains why once I was done with the army 3 years later my wrist rarely saw one on.

This bring us to current day, I am still waiting to finally get my Speedmaster which I intend to rarely take off my wrist!
    Hopefully Covid calms down a bit and air travel will be resumed in my country which will allow us to finally get together ;)

18. jaguar11 Oct 18, 2020

I can only echo the sentiments above!!

janice&fred likes this.
  19. wilderbeast Oct 20, 2020

Yep, that patch isn’t as pronounced for Londoners...
    EA3FFE5A-4275-43B2-BB7A-DAD171376C34.jpeg

Dan S, Flatfoot, rob#1 and 1 other person like this.
  20. greyfox422 Oct 20, 2020

I take mine off to shower and sleep and I'm very aware when it's not on. I have it by my bedside table at night I put it on before I get out of bed. Weird habit but I'm okay with it.

TasMike and schoolboy like this.