For Consideration - Speedmaster Professional - 861

Howdy All,

It is finally the time to buy my first Speedy. I have reserved this piece today, and I'm personally happy with it, but I do tend to get overexcited from time to time and would very much appreciate some experienced eyes and minds to be my second line of defence on this one.

What can I tell you?

Being offered on Chrono24 by a Japanese seller as a ref ST145.0022.
Original Box included
No paperwork included
Bracelet ~21.5cm
Claims to have had 'maintenance overhauled' (translation)
Running at a claimed +5 seconds
Price - £3,500 / $4250 / €4000 / AUD 6200 (+ import duties)

Seller provided the serial number as 48254748 which matches the movement on the photos
ilovemyspeedmaster estimates that this 3590.50 (Caliber 861) was produced in November 1989

What do I want?

Please help by highlighting anything you think looks incorrect with this piece.

Agree with 1989 production year? Reference tables date the serial anywhere from 85 - 91.
ST145.0022 or 3590.50?
Agree that these are Tritium hands? Likely original?
Legit 1450 bracelet? (Awaiting photos of inside clasp)
Fair price? (Feels good to me, not looking to score a bargain as such, but would also rather not overpay)

My first post here, so if I can improve next time, feel free to let me know. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Cheers
SPJ

p.s. A public thank you to Archer for helping me avoid a misrepresented 3510.20 earlier today, excellent work.

Edited:

Demo of Chrono - Does this look right? Appears to hesitate in a few places to me.

Demo of Chrono - Does this look right? Appears to hesitate in a few places to me.

I’ll agree with you there. Something like that is a red flag to me, especially as it’s described effectively as having been serviced. That potentially says the work carried out wasn’t of good quality and then what’s the rest of the watch potentially hiding? I could be wrong of course, as I’m not familiar with these movements. However I agree with what you say, and there was a definite hesitation on that chronograph sweeping hand.

Looks ok so far. Price: you have to decide. The Market is soft now. And might get too expensive, if you add your taxes. See, if the band is long enough for you. Most Japanese sellers are pretty straightforward, so.... Movement is ok. What you describe as hesitation, can even happen in transport and mostly is a small adjustment between 2 wheels.

My two cents worth; looks like an original late 80s Speedy with a coveted and valuable bracelet. At this price, it’s tempting for sure!

Note that I’m not entirely unbiased as I own it’s older brother… 😁

I agree with @Aludic. The price is quite attractive given the bracelet alone is worth €1500+. Apart from the import taxes you‘ll have to factor in a service which would set you back 500-800€ depending where you live.

I would be tempted if I didn’t already own the same set up.