Forums Latest Members

Vintage Seamaster 600 for consideration, in need of help!

1. J-Carlos Feb 7, 2017

Hello there!
    I'm new to the forum and found it while looking around for information about a new interest of mine which is omega watches. Started out with a inherited pocket watch and now I'm looking to buy a Seamaster.

What do you guys think of this one? Is it redialed? Is it even fake? Worth? Any other tips for a newbie in the game?
    Seller claimes it to be a Seamaster 600 cal.611 Serial 22392432

Thank you!
    Edit: Seller also claims glass and strap is new but this doesn't bother me as much as the dial. :)

om1.jpg om2.jpg om3.jpg om4.jpg om5.jpg

2. Vicke Feb 7, 2017

I'd wote redail, and the case is polished beyond what's acceptable. Keep looking is my advise.

Jwit, Maganator and werdna77 like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 7, 2017

+1

4. Dr No Feb 7, 2017

If it's a refinished dial, it's amongst the best I've seen. Compare with an original cal 601 equivalent:

DSCN2880.JPG
    [property of a friend; my photo]

Script is spot-on; lume artfully applied.

Leaning towards an original dial; if it turns out to be refinished, I'd like to know who performed the work.

Art

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 7, 2017

Redial.

Biggest tell are the gold figures, polished and smooth edges, original would have nice crisp edges.

6. Dr No Feb 7, 2017

I noticed that, and the texture of the paint as well, but the matching script is difficult to ignore. That's where most refinished dials reveal their origins.

If it proves to be refinished, the work is commendable. And that's coming from a guy who hates re-dials.

Art

7. Vicke Feb 7, 2017

Happened to find the ad on a local auction site a minute ago, and it says the dial been "renovated".

Sorry Dr No, it does not say who did it ;)

Edited Feb 8, 2017
    Dr No likes this.
  8. Vicke Feb 7, 2017

... and it's at ~€330 with four days to go.

9. Dr No Feb 7, 2017

Well, whoever is responsible for that work definitely did their homework. From what I could glean, the script was close to perfect.

Art

10. J-Carlos Feb 7, 2017

Thanks a lot for good input! I mailed the seller who confirmed that the dial has been renovated. I then asked by what firm and if there are any pictures from before the renovation. Just out of curiosity :) Haven't received answer yet though.

Really like the style of this dial but i think i might look further for one that hasn't been renovated...

Vicke and Dr No like this.
  11. Vicke Feb 7, 2017

I can see a couple of honest Seamaster 600's on that site that I would take at closer look at if I was shopping for one. Not black dials, but those are very rear finds if not redone.

J-Carlos likes this.
  12. J-Carlos Feb 9, 2017

Still no answer from the seller with details about the restoration. But thanks all for the input. I will keep looking. ;) Would really like to find a black dialed one so i guess it will take me a little while...

13. Vicke Feb 9, 2017

J-Carlos likes this.
  14. J-Carlos Feb 9, 2017

Yes i have seen it! And it definitely caught my attention. But i think as well as you said that it's a bit hard to tell from the pictures about the dial.
    What is your opinion?

I asked now for a better photo of the dial and more information. But another thing about this seller is the way he writes.. All caps and not very grammatically correct either.. Hope I receive the answer before the end of the auction which is tomorrow.

15. Vicke Feb 9, 2017

Nothing stands out as obviously wrong, but without better pictures it is a big risk buying it.
    The sellers respons if you ask for better pictures tells you something about if he's serious or not (Don't think Swedish is his native language)

Edited Feb 9, 2017
  16. J-Carlos Feb 9, 2017

Price is at least good so far. Hopefully I'll get a serious answer soon!

17. TNTwatch Feb 9, 2017

The S in the OP is completely wrong, IMO. In fact, I don't think that S resembles any original S from Omega. I don't know what you meant by matching script either. The full Seamaster script is also completely different from the watch you posted, especially the "e" letters.

Dr No likes this.
  18. J-Carlos Feb 10, 2017

Time runs out and no answer from the seller so far... Looks like I need to pass. What is your opinion on a reasonable price on a watch like this if it would be real?

19. Vicke Feb 10, 2017

If in mint condition (which it isn't) the bin of 4100:- would be ok.

J-Carlos likes this.
  20. Dr No Mar 25, 2017

Sorry, just seeing this now. After reviewing the photos a second time, I can see differences, particularly with the small 's' in Seamaster.

Can't plead to diminished capacity - drinking days at the pool hall are Wednesday afternoons and Sunday nights, but that post was on a Tuesday.

:(

TNTwatch likes this.