For all the X-33 Skywalker owners...

Folks, it's that time again: the watch consideration and eventual purchase time. I've had lots of automatics, manuals, and one Breitling Aerospace. I know, this is an Omega forum and I intend to keep my post mostly regarding this brand, but the background is necessary I think. I got turned on to the multi-function Quartz market by a family member. He'd had an aerospace and loved it. I snagged one and really enjoyed it, but ended up selling it for a 1603 Datejust. Fast forward to now, and I'm really wondering how an Aerospace measures up to an X-33 Skywalker. Admittedly, I like the look and layout of the X-33 better, but what is it like to own? I found myself feeling the Aerospace was the most useful watch I've ever owned. I used all the functions regularly and appreciated them being there. Can you, the X-33 owner, say the same? What functions do you guys use most? Which ones don't get much use? Which functions surprised you by how much you use them when you didn't think you would before? And finally, share a shot or two if you can!

Any and all insight into the day-to-day wear of these will help me in my consideration because, at this point, it's either the new X-33 or a 2201.50 (if I can find a decently priced one). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Skywalker is a dream for traveling/outdoor activity. It's been with me on many long drives, flights and hikes. You simply can't beat having GMT +2 additional time zones, multiple alarms, chrono and great legibility.

I love the MET function for tracking long term deadlines / milestones. I'm actually had times where I used all 3 alarms. Can't say enough good things about it for utility. I have small wrists but the weight and shape of the lugs means it wears comfortably. I have it on a comfy lovingly made strap that just arrived from https://www.seb12100030.com Friday.

image.jpeg

Forgot to mention if you have an iPad grab Omega's x-33 app which lets you read the manual and play with the functions on a simulated watch.

That is some good functionality. I'm not a pilot, but I am in the military so tracking multiple time zones is one of the perks I see in this watch. I loved having those on the Aerospace, and this seems to take that and really run with it.

That's a great looking strap. I've got a few lying around that have rotated on some of the other watches, but the black looks good here. Thanks for the insight!!

I have been hiding my X-33 SI2 and X-33 Skywalker from my son until I give him the new Skywalker for graduation this week, so I haven't used the timer or chronograph yet, but those will be handy for keeping track of a parking meter or a steak on the grill, and such.

I like being able to set the hands for T1 (Time Zone 1) for local time (wherever I am), and have T2 be the time where my daughter lives, so I don't make the mistake of calling her too late at night. But I will soon wish that I could make the analog hands move to show T2 when I travel, for when I fly out to visit people and I want to leave T1 set as home time, since T2 will be my "current location" or local time for the duration of the trip.

With my Explorer II I always leave the 24 hour hand as home time, and the 12 hour hand will be the local time where I'm visiting, since I can move it without hacking the movement. I'm going to be switching my Rolex GMT II watches over to UTC on the 24 hour hand, so I can track either home time or local time on the 24 hour hand just by rotating the bezel.

I like the X-33 multiple alarms, but haven't figured out how to remove the date from an alarm if I want it to shout at me every day in the morning to wake me up. It's good to help remember my PM medications too, or when I need to leave to pick someone up. But, I can easily use my phone for those things when I'm wearing another watch.

However there's a quirk with the alarm I haven't figured out - as soon as I have entered a date for an alarm instead of skipping past the date, I can't "not" enter a date for that alarm the next time I want to set it. So I only use Alarm 1 for things that I need to set a date, and have not set a date in alarm 2 or 3. I just need to learn how to clear the date from Alarm 1.

It's a pretty versatile watch compared to the 2201.50 which is also more water resistant, but still lets you keep track of your parking meter if under 1 hour. I've read that the X-33 is WR enough to surface swim with and get it wet a lot, but that it just couldn't get a higher than 30M WR rating because of the double case-back design that allows the alarm to be audible for old farts like me. At 3ATM pressure the water wont deform the thin inner case-back enough to be a problem, but that over 3ATM it could become an issue. You certainly will never see 3ATM pressure on the surface unless you fall out of your water skis at 50mph, and maybe not even then? But you can always own an X-33 with a 200M Seiko diver as a beater watch if you plan to do a lot of immersion in water and you worry.

If you do go for a 2201.50, I prefer the 2201.51 with the orange numbers (have one). I wear mine with an orange bezel I bought from ofrei.com but I can use my bezel puller to swap back to black should I ever feel the need. I haven't swapped back to black since 2014. I love the 2201.51 for the "cool, it's a mechanical watch" kinda vibe, but I love the X-33 for it's accuracy and functionality, without worrying about how much time is it gaining or losing.

I have many quartz and mechanical watches, but I used to be biased against a "quartz luxury watch" in the past. I love the 2201.51 because in my head it feels like it will run run forever as long as I don't take it off, where I feel limited by wearing a quartz and not knowing when I'll wake up and find that it simply stopped running without warning. But I hate the fact that this is not true, and the mechanical watch needs an overhaul every 5-6 years or it can stop running. In a sense that's like having a 5-6 year battery life and if you don't do the service you can cause damage. So it wont really run forever and it's just in my head. I have no idea how often the X-33 needs a full service vs plain battery changes and re-pressure testing.

PS: Jim at Continental jewelers is shipping my Ti bracelet overnight to arrive Tuesday, for my X-33 SI2...

Excellent write-up, larryganz!

I do think the SI2 color scheme is growing on me. Every time I see it, I like it more.

I played with it on the iPad app and see that it's got a more to it to set than my Aerospace did, but it seems easier to do while it's on your wrist. The Aerospace always had to come off to do anything with it, which I did notice quite a bit. In any case though, I'd probably snag one of these if o can find a decent deal. I like titanium watches for their subdued look and feel. This and the 2231.80 hit the mark, for my tastes. Now I just need to make a decision and snag one!

Water resistance is nice, but I know I won't be going to more than 3ATM anytime soon, even when I do go back to visit New York this summer. Being on the boat or the dock is about it.

I also like the backlight on these, as the newer Aerospaces light up the whole digital area, not just the numerals.

Your son is a lucky guy to have a dad like you!

Hi larryganz

I got the Skywalker when it first came out, and had great fun working out all the functions. To get a repeating alarm, you have to anull any alarm function (AL1, AL2 or AL3) if it was already set for specific time. To do that, set the alarm time time zone to 000, exiting the function to save the setting, and then going back in. Then when you set the alarm, the date and time are initially both -- -- --. Leaving the dashes means it repeats, so setting the date to -- 05 16 and the time to 07 00 00 then the alarm will sound every day in May at 0700. Alternatively, set it to 17 05 16 and -- 05 00 and the alarm will sound every hour at 5 minutes past the hour on the 17/05/16 only.

I think one of the intentions (although the manual is pretty vague) of multiple timezones is, because the hands always follows T1, when you are moving timezones or setting timing events past when daylight saving time for your location is is going to change, T1 should be the timezone you are in (and the hands show the current time), and T2 is the timezone you initially set the PET or MET, as that will stay the same. But if either doesn't apply, then T2 is redundant unless as you are doing and keeping T2 for an alternative timezone.

Phil

Hi larryganz

I got the Skywalker when it first came out, and had great fun working out all the functions. To get a repeating alarm, you have to anull any alarm function (AL1, AL2 or AL3) if it was already set for specific time. To do that, set the alarm time time zone to 000, exiting the function to save the setting, and then going back in. Then when you set the alarm, the date and time are initially both -- -- --. Leaving the dashes means it repeats, so setting the date to -- 05 16 and the time to 07 00 00 then the alarm will sound every day in May at 0700. Alternatively, set it to 17 05 16 and -- 05 00 and the alarm will sound every hour at 5 minutes past the hour on the 17/05/16 only.

I think one of the intentions (although the manual is pretty vague) of multiple timezones is, because the hands always follows T1, when you are moving timezones or setting timing events past when daylight saving time for your location is is going to change, T1 should be the timezone you are in (and the hands show the current time), and T2 is the timezone you initially set the PET or MET, as that will stay the same. But if either doesn't apply, then T2 is redundant unless as you are doing and keeping T2 for an alternative timezone.

Phil

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Love the Skywalker. I also have a Marstimer that I got as a one-off order directly from Switzerland (long story). My wife is on timed meds and since she takes them three times a day the X-33's alarms are perfect for reminders. They are also every bit as loud as they say. One thing bugging me is that when I first bought the Skywalker I figured out a way to manually activate a steady alarm sound but now I can't remember how. Anyone?
Edited:

My Skywalker is my regular travelling companion. As everyone has mentioned multiple time zones. Alarm that you cannot ignore. After that the most used functions are timer, chronograph and not necessarily a function, but the bezel comes in handy.
1000000589.jpg