FOIS moisture under glass (+ broken 3861)

Hi All - I have a FOIS that I purchased from a boutique in 2017. Over the years it has been worn very rarely on random weekends only. Unfortunately last weekend I noticed moisture under the glass and the hands have now discoloured. Researching this forum there have been quite a few instances of similar experiences, not just with FOIS but other watches the same 39mm case like the CK2998 and Pulsometer.

I feel this is a QA issue as this shouldn't happen and would like to send it back to Omega and request some form of goodwill gesture such a contribution towards a repair even though it is well out of its warranty period - is this an unreasonable expectation? In my ownership it has not been near water, I have not had it serviced however as mentioned it has been worn rarely.

In a cruel twist of fate the weekend before I noticed the moisture under the glass on the FOIS, my 3861 completely stopped working. Luckily this will be repaired under warranty but to have two speedmasters and both with QA problems is worrying. Thanks.,

IMG_6286 2.jpg

IMG_6291 2.jpg

It is an unreasonable expectation on a 7-year old watch that you have not had pressure tested regularly, or serviced. If it was a year or two old, you might get some consideration under warranty. But not now. Even though you wore it regularly, rubber in the gaskets will decay, crack, and allow moisture in.

But you can try -- who knows. Just don't go in expecting it, and don't get angry if they refuse. It's like arguing to a car manufacturer that your engine has seized after 7 years but you have no evidence of regular service on it.

It's seven years old so probably too old to expect much goodwill out of Omega at this date. There have been a few instances where these FOIS models have had moisture issues, so perhaps you could mention that to them and they might do something for you. I've got 11 Omegas in the stable right now that were made within the last seven years and none have ever shown any issues of moisture or mechanical problems. Just bad luck on your part, it happens.

seals degrade regardless as to how often the watch is worn. If you bought it in 2017 it’s 7 years old so although unfortunate, I’m not sure it points to a QC issue as it would have happened sooner. Seems more like a normal wear and tear issue. Certainly doesn’t stop you asking for a gesture from an OB.

I find the issues around condensation interesting as I’ve never had such an issue in over ten years of wearing Speedmasters, the newest of which was 30 years old, and several going back to the 60’s. I assume these are generally from people who live in highly humid areas, particular where there’s a significant temperature differential from day to night.

is this an unreasonable expectation? In my ownership it has not been near water, I have not had it serviced however as mentioned it has been worn rarely.
Not swimming with it doesn't mean it can't happen, I've read washing hands is the most common cause of water intrusion.

Omega tends to be pretty good in cutting people slack, and if you mention your 3861 is going in for not working, it might help your cause. But this is quite a lot out from the warranty period to expect much.

It’s overdue a service, you can try but I don’t expect you’ll get any goodwill. Moisture doesn’t just magically get in, there must have been environmental factors at work. Don’t delay the service it needs.

You can try, but personally I think 7 years is far too long to claim that an event like this is representative of a defect in the watch. If you make a broad claim like "it hasn't been near water," it just makes you sound less convincing, IMO.

Interesting that others with straight lug speedies have had the same issue.

My Trilogy Speedy, straight lug 39mm case also had moisture in it after spending time inside a moisture rich refrigerated environment last year, requiring a full service.

No big issue as the watch was due for a service. It came back looking perfect, and their portal system they use to track where and at what stage the service was at was excellent.