Forums Latest Members
  1. Premaster Jul 29, 2021

Hello everybody. I am just sharing the following issue with you: I had worn my factory-new Globemaster from mid of June until last Friday, when I noticed some foggy moisture under the crystal (afterwards I applied the ice cube test and it was clear: Moisture in the case!). What can cause water to enter in a brand-new Globemaster? I only wore the watch once while showering and during my hiking holidays while normally sweating. These are the two only possible sources of water entry. Yes, I know, it hasn't a screw down crown nor a screw in caseback, but still, it should be sufficiently tight for such cases, shouldn't it? I gave it to the AD, who has already sent it to Omega, it will be back soon. Nothing serious, just wondering how intensly I should "baby" my Globemaster in the future. What do you think?

Edited Jul 29, 2021
  2. JeremyS Jul 29, 2021

The good news is a complete service will cure all of your Globemaster’s ills. The bad news is—I’m my experience at least—Omega will very likely blame you for turning the crown while subjecting the watch to immersion. Having said that, I really hope to be proven wrong.

The same thing happened with my Omega Speedmaster Racing chronograph. Omega claimed the crown or pushers must have been activated while the watch was submerged. On the plus side, the replaced a very large number of parts as part of the full service. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Premaster likes this.
  3. Donn Chambers Jul 29, 2021

There was likely a fault in one of the gaskets -- it happens and that is what the warranty is for. Water could have come in from the shower, or just from atmospheric moisture. It will be serviced and should not have a problem after that (within a reasonable period of time before the gaskets need to be replaced again). I wouldn't go swimming with it, but it should be good for normal activities (rain, washing hands, a quick shower if you have to keep it on, etc).

Premaster likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 29, 2021

You passed the ice cube test? After warming the watch?

Under what conditions did it fog?

5. Premaster Jul 29, 2021

Thank you for your comments. Sounds all reasonable.
    I know, that the ice cube test can be misleading. Not in this case. The watch first showed a foggy inner crystal, twice within a day. First in the morning, then in the afternoon. I had been wearing the watch night and day since I bought it, except while using the bath tube or while showering. I only wore it once while showering, as described above.

When I saw the fog for the second time (watch on my wrist!) and was 100% sure, that it was on the inner side (my wife confirmed), I executed the test with the rim of a frozen cooling package and - of course - the condensed water was even more visible. I double checked the ice test with my PO and AT plus my wife's AT and there was no fog at all.

Edited Jul 29, 2021
  6. Premaster Sep 10, 2021

Ok, everything finally went well, I just got back my GM with a complete service free of charge. However I will not take it close to a severe water source anymore.

20210910_200230.jpg
    Omega-Q, Omegafanman, Walrus and 6 others like this.
  7. Doc Olives Sep 10, 2021

Glad to hear the service went well and was free of charge. And more importantly, that is a GORGEOUS watch! Wear it in good health.

Omegafanman and Premaster like this.
  8. philips Sep 11, 2021

The Gobemaster really should have a screw crown, IMHO.

9. Zanzibar Sep 11, 2021

Yeah well, shit happens…

10. Premaster Sep 11, 2021

Well, moisture didn't necessarily enter through the crown. Who knows...? What crossed my mind and might be the root cause: Before moisture ingressed, my brand new GM fell from approx. 50 cm down from a metal stool (watch slipped from its surface while I dislocated the stool) on my bath room tile. Impact position was the sapphire crystal with no visible damage thereafter. The accuracy was not affected at all (it still ran wonderfully with -1 s/d, now after service with +1 s/d). However I guess, that this unhappy incident was the reason of the later water damage. At least both the 8500 and 8900 calibers - according to my experience - really seem to be fairly shock resistant.

Edited Sep 19, 2021