First Post, First Purchase

Hello everyone, over the last month or so I have started researching and reading about vintage watches, specifically Omega. I found this forum a few weeks ago and have been enjoying reading.

I made my first purchase last week and it came in today. I was hoping to get some help. I believe it to have an authentic dial, crown, hands, and the movement works, but I’m a beginner to say the least.

The little black line on the marker for 2 o’clock is missing and I think the crystal has been replaced. Am I missing anything? Am I just plain missing it and the dial has been refinished?

Any opinions on if this watch would be appreciated.

Hi, welcome. I think it is a redial, fonts look off and the sunburst looks odd. Also the case is soft. Movement looks tired.
Harry

Hi, welcome. I think it is a redial, fonts look off and the sunburst looks odd. Also the case is soft. Movement looks tired.
Harry
Thanks for response. When you say case is “soft” what does that mean?

Thanks for response. When you say case is “soft” what does that mean?
He means that the case is worn and or polished. I also think that the dial is suspect. Movement is definitely tired as well. And welcome to OF :thumbsup:

He means that the case is worn and or polished. I also think that the dial is suspect. Movement is definitely tired as well. And welcome to OF :thumbsup:

Excited to learn more about the world of vintage watches. Appreciate the response and information.

Excited to learn more about the world of vintage watches. Appreciate the response and information.
Many more will chime in eventually but also don't let this one bring you down. I was in your position a couple years ago and I didn't know much :confused: the so called "noob tax" has been paid by everyone at one point.
Edited:

Many more will chime in eventually but also don't less this one bring you down. I was in your position a couple years ago and I didn't know much :confused: the so called "noob tax" has been paid by everyone at one point.

Appreciate that, it’s still a watch I’ll enjoy wearing and I’ll learn from it.
It’s been hard because everything I have seen (except this watch) has been online. I have been to several local jewelers but no one carries vintage. I would love to be able to hold a bunch of vintage omegas and just get a feel for them.
One thing that surprised me when this watch came in was the size. I had read vintage watches are smaller and knew the size of the watch, but seeing it was kinda surprising. Lol

thanks again for the help.

Many more will chime in eventually but also don't less this one bring you down. I was in your position a couple years ago and I didn't know much :confused: the so called "noob tax" has been paid by everyone at one point.
Another question, I keep hearing “buy the dealer”
Does anyone have any suggestions on reputable places to buy online?

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you paid the noob tax. Hopefully it was not too much. Pretty much everyone does it at first. You get excited and buy something before you know what is good and what is not. Next time, I highly recommend asking before buying. Also check out this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-not-for-inquiries.1790/page-264#post-1892348

Ash (@dsio ) has been recommended some solid Omegas that are going for under $500.

Also, read and reread this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Welcome to the forum, stick around you will learn a ton. It is generally a quite friendly and welcoming place. Occasionally, folks get cranky when newbies get demanding and unappreciative of volunteered time. You are not that way, and off to a good start. I think that you will fit in just fine.

I believe the case back is wrong, it should have « Fond acier inoxydable ». That one probably comes from a steel model.

Another question, I keep hearing “buy the dealer”
Does anyone have any suggestions on reputable places to buy online?

Buy from here. Everyone who sells has posted at least 200 times, understands the community, and by definition is a fine upstanding citizen or they would've been run outa town. Seriously, I've seen dozens of watches that I would have (should have) grabbed... one available right now from your first respondent that might fit your bill of a slightly larger watch!