Forums Latest Members

First Omega (PO vs 300) - Help Please!

1. cwilkie Feb 3, 2021

Hi all,

New to the forum, but I've been browsing for a while. Original plan to pick up my first decent watch on my 40th failed when a shiny new guitar caught my eye. I'm celebrating another milestone (work, not age thankfully!) and am ready to make my first purchase.

I've tried on both the Seamaster 300 (white, and black), and the PO 43.5 (black) on separate occasions in the past, but not at the same time. My budget covers either, and I'm looking for a keeper. My wrists around 7.25, and I'm a relatively big guy so comfortable with the size. I'd likely add a second watch down the line (Speedmaster perhaps), but don't believe I'll be a major collector.

What I'm really wondering, is for those of you that have had the pleasure of owning both (I'm quite sure a few of you have) - what would be your honest recommendation? I'm a little worried a new PO might be around the corner! Personally I feel both have their positives, but am struggling to make my mind up.

Given we are in lockdown, I'd be purchasing online - no dealers open locally right now.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Crunchie Feb 3, 2021

Seamaster 300M diver in black, absolute beauty.

If you’re still counting it as a 40th birthday watch and you think it’ll be a keeper, skip the diver, go for the Speedmaster first.

3. Caliber561 Feb 3, 2021

If you find yourself liking the aesthetics of the PO over the 300m, I'd definitely wait to see what this year holds. The PO line is due for a refresh, so you may rather wait and pick between the new PO and the 300m.

+1 on the recommendation for consideration of the Speedmaster.

maskwp likes this.
  4. cwilkie Feb 4, 2021

Thank you both for your responses. I've started looking into the Speedmaster a little more, and I must say it's very tempting. I've asked the AD about availability, and given the current number of orders will likely be 2-3 months best case. It's probably worth the wait.

I've always be a fan of the PO, but also have terrible luck with my purchases being refreshed within the month! Might be sensible to go for the latest speedy as the long term keeper and wait to see what happens on the PO front later in the year.

Crunchie likes this.
  5. Crunchie Feb 4, 2021

The great thing about watches is they don’t become obsolete as soon as the next generation is released - they’re not iPhones!
    If you like the current PO, you’ll still like it if or when a new one comes out. It’ll still work, and still be just as accurate.
    Same with Speedmasters - you might have to wait a couple of months for a new one as it’s a new model, and, you know, Covid, but if it’s the watch you want, what’s a few months when it’ll be on your wrist for the next forty years?

IanF, maskwp, Starman71 and 2 others like this.
  6. cwilkie Feb 4, 2021

You are absolutely right. It's a mindset I probably need to shift! Still not easy making the choice, but the dealers been kind enough to send me a load of comparison photos on the wrist - so hopefully I'll be able to make my mind up soon!

7. maine-iac1 Feb 4, 2021

I'm a PO fella (39.5) and vote for the 300 in this instance. It's more versatile, and great looking to boot. You could dress it up or down. That said, go with what catches your eye.

cwilkie likes this.
  8. cwilkie Feb 4, 2021

That's not made the decision easier! One thing is for certain, I'll end up with a Speedmaster and Seamaster at some point.
    I do love the white Seamaster particularly, on the rubber strap.....

9. jb.44 Feb 4, 2021

I have both and honestly I would stick with seamaster, it is so much more versatile and definitely protrudes from the wrist less. Definitely will not fit underneath a cuff. Here are pictures of both of mine

Omega Planet Ocean Black 45.5 1.jpg Omega Seamaster 300M BlueGrey 1.jpg
    cwilkie likes this.
  10. omegafilman Feb 4, 2021

I too was debating which one to buy between the PO and the Seamaster and I went with the seamaster as that allowed me to save some money to buy another timepiece in a few months. I will say I am in love a week in

cwilkie likes this.
  11. cwilkie Feb 4, 2021

It's starting to feel like I'll either go the Seamaster route and save some coin, or get on the waiting list for the new Speedmaster. Still love the PO, but it's really good to hear feedback from those of you that have made the decision or have experience with both. Thanks again!

12. maine-iac1 Feb 4, 2021

OK, I recommended the 300. But I did go with the PO. The sales guy said my eyes lit up a little more over that one, compared to the 300, when I tried it on. I have no regrets and love it. That said, the 300 isn't as tall and is more versatile. But ... only you know which one speaks to you. Go with that one! And post your photo when you decide

cwilkie likes this.
  13. ctime3 Feb 4, 2021

That would be nice if the PO had some changes. I’m waiting to see the new 300 even though the pics are out there

cwilkie likes this.
  14. ctime3 Feb 4, 2021

jb the silver dial is nice. I like how it still has the blue but is complimented by the silver great combo. I have the new blue stainless diver and the speedy pro and sometimes I wish I had the PO instead of the speedy

cwilkie likes this.
  15. Happy Feb 6, 2021

Just my thoughts but I would definitely wait until you can get in and try a few different watches on at the same time. See which one gives you the biggest smile and go for that. Do as much research and YouTube as you can to help.

Good luck

cwilkie likes this.
  16. neill1975 Feb 6, 2021

Is the refresh confirmed or speculation, the 300MC was due last year and should be here shortly but information on the new PO seems sparse

17. cvera Feb 6, 2021

I'd get the PO

cwilkie likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 7, 2021

@cwilkie

or instead of new... go for a Birthyear speedy and save a little money.

using ilovemyspeedmaster.com it should be possible to find one.

it’s what I did for my 40th.

A3DB2AE7-6BEA-433C-B266-B157ABF743E0.jpeg
    145.022-76

cwilkie likes this.
  19. Butik Feb 7, 2021

Both aree great. PO is more top of the line, SMP more down to earth. I had / have both and here my five cents:

- PO is a fantastic watch, looks great, made of good materials but... very thick & heavy in steel. I had standard black 43,5mm on bracelet for about 6 months and simply could not wear it, it was so heavy on the wrist, so at the end of the day sold it. Now I have PO, which is even thicker (17mm instead of 16mm) with GMT function, but it's in titanium on robber, so now wears great. So at the end of the day I am not so much worried about size / thickness but weight rather.

- SMP - also great, bit different style and worse movement (8800 tends to have a bit loud rotor), but more wearable in terms of size & weight, have white version and love it a lot.

cwilkie likes this.
  20. cwilkie Feb 7, 2021

Great idea on the birth year speedy! As mentioned, my 40th had already passed and I’d gone for a guitar for that milestone. This specific one is to celebrate a promotion! The good thing with that, is I probably won’t be as sentimental about the purchase, so if I find it’s not right for me down the line I’ll just move on.

I think if it would have been possible to get the new speedy sooner, it might still be in the running, but I think I will stick to the approach of just getting the one that stands out to me and that’s available now. That’s going to be the PO! Love everything about it and especially the bracelet.
    Funnily enough, looking through old photos of my trying watches for my 40th that was the one I’d flagged at the time!
    Here’s an old photo of it on my wrist back in 2018 for reference. I’ll post as soon as I have it delivered!

B78CEE31-EC34-4D11-BC34-1E1D6044A2E4.jpeg