Forums Latest Members

First Omega In Space (2012 Speedmaster) FOIS, Roll Call

1. Bp1000 Jul 10, 2020

oh you know, maybe because original CK2998's from the 60's, worn, didn't have polished lugs...

2. belton96 Jul 10, 2020

Yeah ok :) but they didn‘t have sapphire, superluminova or an 1861 either.

I have to say I don‘t understand this whole modding thing. I mean then buy a real vintage watch. Just my personal opinion, no offense :)

3. Bp1000 Jul 10, 2020

No I get it and agree, I don't mod but the trend to highly polish a lot of watches these days, especially on tributes to originals is a downside to me.

The trilogy pieces spring to mind. They are mirror finishes on 70% of the watch. Only the centre links are brushed. I own the speedmaster 60th piece and nearly went for the seamaster which is also stunning, but its excessive polishing was a downside, even on the rehaut.

I just think for tool watches, a nice brushed or pearlescent finish works best. And I love my FOIS but just wished it wasn't so shiny. Even on the hands. High finishing polishing just reminds me of cheap jewellery sometimes. That close to white, brilliant finish.

belton96 and TJH like this.
  4. belton96 Jul 10, 2020

Yes I totally agree with you. Many tool watches are excessively polished and would be far more appealing with more brushed surfaces.

Personally I like brushed/polished watches most. The FOIS would suite a bit more brushed surfaces without a doubt.

TJH likes this.
  5. Caliber561 Jul 10, 2020

If you want to match the original CK2998s, then why not wear your FOIS until the luster of the polished faces have been worn away, just like the originals?

6. HAL9000 Jul 11, 2020

Dear Members,

today I want to introduce myself. I am a member for a couple of months, after following the forum for many years.
    I am a Speedmaster watch collector for many many years.
    There is such an outstanding knowlege and help for a collector like me in this forum that I am really glad and very grateful to the founder and all the members of this forum.

With my little knowledge and some support from my watchmaker in my local AD (level 3) I did a lot of modifying with my FOIS. I know, that there are collectors who hate modifing or building Franken Speedys – but I love to do that with some of my wathes.

So, to come back to my modified FOIS, following information about the watch:

To create my own "Ed White" I used mostly original Omega spare parts, which I collected over years or which I got from my local AD.
    The bracelet is an aftermarket bracelet with an Omega buckle.

The FOIS got a hesalite crystal. This swapping was often discussed here in some posts. Swapping the sapphire is no problem at all. Just remove the sapphire and set the hesalite. Use the sapphire crystal seal and everything is done. The watch is still water resistant up to 5 atm – my watchmaker did a test with the watch after doing all the work on it. It is really that easy like I described it.

The most impressive change, in my eyes, was the new dial. It is the current service dial for a 145.0222 Speedmaster which I passed to James Hyman, with the hands – and he relumed the dial and the hands and did a really great job. James ist he man you need to relume your dial and hands – no matter if brand new or vintage. Only James is the man who is able to do such a great and outstanding job.

Changing all other parts (caseback, crown, etc) was easy because all parts of/for Speedmaster watches are changeable.

I didn’t age the watch(parts) – there is no need to play games with other watch collectors.

So, have a look at the pics and take your own picture.

Stay healthy

...and now - the pics of my "Ed White":

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

Edited Jul 12, 2020
    Eve, ConElPueblo, KstateSkier and 5 others like this.
  7. alam Jul 11, 2020

@HAL9000 , ^^ looks good, but I must say that technically, your watch is no longer a FOIS that meets the roll call of this thread :D

Candle00 likes this.
  8. HAL9000 Jul 11, 2020

Hi alam, thats true.::facepalm2:: But it was not easy to find the "correct" thread for my modyfing;). Therefore I used this post. Hopefully this will cause no troubles:thumbsdown:.

alam likes this.
  9. Panjo Jul 11, 2020

Nicely done, friend

10. HAL9000 Jul 11, 2020

11. SwissMe Jul 12, 2020

@HAL9000 looks very good to me, what type of bracelet is used?

BYOS - Build your own Speedy - I like the idea

12. HAL9000 Jul 12, 2020

@SwissMe
    It is a Kreisler stainless steel bracelet bought from squinky on eBay.
    He holds several sizes(lenghts) of this type of bracelets.
    Not cheap but not as expensive than the original Omega 1039 etc. bracelets.

Hope this helps

SwissMe likes this.
  13. bruin20 Jul 12, 2020

I think we need a BYOS dedicated thread. Been toying with the idea of modifying my professional but would be down to create a custom build. Just wish I could get my hands on a truly straight lug case like the original 2020/Ed white.

Maybe omega will just come out with what I want anyway at the rate they release speedmasters. Straight lug case. 3861 movement. Hesalite. Sapphire back. Fully printed ceramic dial including the omega logo. Ceramic bezel with enamel inlay. Basically I want an Ed white without the 321 premium pricing.

SwissMe likes this.
  14. HAL9000 Jul 12, 2020

Good idea to open a BYOS thread.
    I did a lot of modifications on my Speedys I hold. Many years ago I had a couple of original vintage Speedys but sold them over the years - before they start to become that expensive which they are today. With a modified Speedmaster you did nothing else than Omega does today with all the vintage re- editions. But the prices are much more cheaper than Omega want to have for there " re- editions".
    I am happy to hold really a lot of spare parts, dials, set of hands, cases, case backs, crystals, movement parts etc. I collected these items for many years. Spare part policy of Omega changed over the years. Happily I have contact to an AD for Omega watches with level 3. And the watchmaker is a wonderful man who supports me in what ever I need. And he is very skilled which watchmaking. See my statement about the hesalite crystal changing of a FOIS.
    I think, the parts you mentioned will never ever be available in the near future. I think, if they will be available, than you have to send the part on an exchange part back. But I feel very happy with your statement that building our own Speedy seems not to be a sacrilege. As far you tell everybody what you did.
    Please find attached some pictures of my BYOS. 03 Speedmaster Racing 1968.jpg 07 Speedmaster Racing Japan Glow.jpg 05 Speedmaster 1970.jpg

Go Spurs Go, Icnbne, pdxleaf and 5 others like this.
  15. pascs Jul 12, 2020

Would be great to start a BYOS thread ......... I've got a few too

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 12, 2020

This has been my thought all along, that the crystal was being installed with seal designed for the sapphire crystal.

[​IMG]

This is an unusual test - pressure only, and I would not expect it to fail in a pressure test. The important test would be the vacuum test.

Cheers, Al

17. HAL9000 Jul 12, 2020

@Archer

You are right.
    But for daily use it is sufficient.
    And I will not use my Speedys under water or so. No matter which of my Speedys.
    So, I can live with this.
    But many thanks for your hint.

Cheers, Dirk

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  18. fergusm Jul 12, 2020

Yup - I can’t get my head around the pricing for the new one. I was excited when I saw it and then so disappointed when I saw how much it cost. I’d happily sacrifice the 321 movement if they could offer the rest of the package.

19. SwissMe Jul 13, 2020

So who will start the thread? I am sure we need it ;)

20. HAL9000 Jul 13, 2020

I think I will start the thread...just give me some days. ;)I will start the thread this week, hopefully tomorrow or on Wednesday. Thats the plan...:thumbsup:..or this evening?:thumbsdown: I am located in Germany, 1900 local at the moment....

pdxleaf and SwissMe like this.