Forums Latest Members

First Omega In Space (2012 Speedmaster) FOIS, Roll Call

1. Ahvera Oct 13, 2019

I worked with Adam Lewis (Lewis Watch Company) and he got the watch and made all the changes. So I didn’t have to source any parts myself. I know that some watchmakers can still get parts. I’m in the San Francisco area. Otto Frei may have the hands on their web site. Adam was amazing to work with, btw.

Sidnos likes this.
  2. Sidnos Oct 14, 2019

Cheers ;)

3. Daval Oct 14, 2019

I agree that Adam Lewis does fantastic work. He recently did some work for me as well on a FOIS and I absolutely love the result. Changed, the dial, relumed the hands and dial, faded the bezel (just a little bit to match the dial color), changed crown and added the hesalite crystal.

I can also inform everyone that the numbered edition is now over 12500 pieces.

IMG_9586.JPG

Eve, MarmosetJKM, Speedo_Fr and 7 others like this.
  4. Risto Oct 14, 2019

Why did he change the crown?
    Very nice watch, I wanted to do this, too but then decided to get vintage Speedy instead.

5. Daval Oct 14, 2019

It is a slightly bigger crown (from the 60th ann. speedy) which makes it easier to wind. Other than that it also resembles the crowns from the 60's more.

I wanted to have a vintage 2998-2 look on a modern speedmaster. I just love the vintage (aged tritium) look but wanted a new speedmaster that is a little less fragile for daily use. And an original 2998 from the 60's in good condition would be way out of my budget. Even if I could afford one, I would still be worried to wear it when it rains or be afraid to bump it against something.
    I already have a 145.022-71 in case I want to wear a real vintage speedmaster.

KstateSkier and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  6. Martin_F Oct 14, 2019

Like the re-lumed hour hand. Always bothered me, that the two hands looked different!

7. Ahvera Oct 14, 2019

I went with no aging. I do like the way yours looks. Can you post more pictures?

7E74620F-BFCC-49CC-ADD6-51317F0F398D.jpeg
    Eve, dukerules, Daval and 2 others like this.
  8. haqq777 Oct 14, 2019

Beautiful. What bracelet and end link is this? And was it easy to put in?

9. Ahvera Oct 14, 2019

Those are good questions. The bracelet doesn’t have any numbers on it and the end links don’t either. I have had the bracelet since the 90s when I used to have a Wittnauer chrono I liked to wear on a bracelet. It is genuine Omega but an 18mm so I got 19mm ends on eBay. Not so easy to put on. In the end, the trick was just to push it into place by hand rather than trying to find the holes with the watch strap tool.

10. Daval Oct 14, 2019

As requested:
    IMG_9570.JPG IMG_9573.JPG

Eve, Speedo_Fr, OmegaYooper and 5 others like this.
  11. TJH Oct 15, 2019

This is a great looking watch, good effort; I've limited myself to changing the small seconds sub-dial hand to a white baton and fitting a deeper crown on my FOIS.

The hour hand has different shaped straight lume instead of the triangle, is it the original hand or a service replacement?

12. Daval Oct 15, 2019

Yes, I and the funny thing is that I had not noticed this myself until you mentioned it.

The hands were also replaced (and the subdial hands). This way the hour hand also looks more like the original 2998.

13. TJH Oct 15, 2019

It certainly does look more original but I was given to understand that the 2998s came with the triangular lume on the hour hands, the service replacements having he straighter narrow lume. Are these hands original Omega service replacements?

14. stuart70 Oct 15, 2019

On the U.K. website the FOIS is currently unavailable. Does this mean that production has now come to an end ?
    Approximately 13,000 produced?

15. Daval Oct 15, 2019

Yes they are Omega 2915 service replacement hands. The original hands (and dial) were also included by Adam, allowing me to put the FOIS back into its original state if I wanted to.

16. jsducote Oct 16, 2019

No official announcement to this effect has been made. Availability goes on and off from time to time (no pun intended) on the websites, possibly due to how many they're making at any given time and varies from country to country. US website, for example, shows available. Your local AD/OB should be able to get you one if you don't want to buy online (including from OF members).

17. scapa Oct 22, 2019

Quick question for all you happy FOIS owners -- does the more elaborate caseback have any implications for wearing comfort? The design itself seems to be slightly recessed into the caseback rim, but also features a more textured pattern, and I was wondering if it's noticeable on the wrist in daily wear.

kelsey likes this.
  18. engben Oct 22, 2019

Nope - don’t even feel it at all.

Sidnos, scapa and kelsey like this.
  19. kelsey Oct 22, 2019

I found no issue at all with the case back I find the watch is one of my most comfortable on the wrist. I also own 2 display back Speedmasters and the FOIS is no discomfort over them.
    If it does for you you could always wear it on a nato.

Sidnos and scapa like this.
  20. Sidnos Oct 22, 2019

Not at all, I find very comfortable and a lovely watch all in all!

kelsey and scapa like this.