Forums Latest Members

First Omega In Space (2012 Speedmaster) FOIS, Roll Call

1. BLAUGRANA Jun 8, 2016

No, not at all. I was sold pretty much the first time I saw the watch. I'm somewhat new to higher end watches and when I decided I actually kind of liked the Speedmaster the FOIS was easily the best model out there in my opinion. In fact if I recall correctly it sold me on a Speedmaster. I largely only like watches that are tributes to vintage pieces. My other watches are both Jaeger Lecoultres as I have the Thin Tribute to 1931 Reverso on the Casa Fagliano strap and a steel Geophysic 1958 (on a custom Camille Fourniet, they make straps for JLC, navy alligator strap as the navy lends itself much better to the watch). Anyway, what sold me at this moment is that I have an itch and Nomos didn't scratch it like I thought it would coupled with actually trying the FOIS on. Again, I knew I wanted the watch at some point, but I'd never had it on the wrist. I don't live in a market where I can try it on and so when I was in Chicago trying on any number of watches from multiple brands and the FOIS was one that made one of the biggest impressions. It looked amazing in person and on the wrist. Finally I reached out to a grey dealer and pretty much got it at the lowest level price I'm seeing out there right now and it's going to be brand new. It really seems an amazing watch for the money when you consider the secondhand market pricing compared to what else you can get at that price.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are indeed discontinuing it. She seemed to know what she was talking about and was actually wearing a FOIS which I hadn't noticed until I inquired about it. Also, I am aware that it is a numbered edition as I'm aware the CK2998 is a limited edition, but at some point one would expect a numbered edition to end as well and it has been four years now. I say that latter part because from what I've read and from what I can tell they make how many different Speedmasters over time.

Good choice with the CK2998. If I recally correctly it was the only Omega release this year that I liked. Oddly enough the one thing about it that I'm not so sure about, apart from having another Speedmaster, is that lollipop seconds hand. I know I'm probably in the minority there and I'd have to see it in person as I hate online pictures since everything is so much bigger, but it looks a bit big. That said it's true to the original that way. Anyway, congratulations on that watch. I'm sure they'll go pretty fast. Hopefully you get it soon so you can start enjoying it. Much like yourself I was thinking about another Omega as the steel Seamaster 300m Master Co-axial also looked so much better in person. Again I like the vintage inspired pieces and this one really was amazing. It looked smaller than it's diameter suggested and all the details were spot on. The one miss though was huge. It's so damn thick. The FOIS is thick as well, but the Seamaster was even thicker. At the moment that won't be a deal breaker, but we'll see. Too many watches on the list and not enough funds to get them all straight away.

On a side note, I did try on the Speedmaster Professional as well and I was quite surprised at how similar they looked on the wrist in terms of the size. One of the things I expected to like going in was the size of the diameter of the FOIS. Still the Speedmaster Professional looked nearly the exact same diameter to my eye. Too many details I prefer on the FOIS of course to not go that route.

If I recall correctly I've read that you can, but it's something like $700 which is quite crazy.

imagwai likes this.
  2. imagwai Jun 8, 2016

If we're talking the FOIS brown strap, this is relatively cheap. I bought one the other day from the Omega Boutique for £69 including the clasp.

It's 19mm so don't think will fit a Speedy Pro though.

3. BLAUGRANA Jun 8, 2016

Yeah, my mistake. I'm thinking of another strap that I heard about on a podcast.

Not sure what to do for a strap on the FOIS.

4. imagwai Jun 8, 2016

The good thing about the Speedy is that it looks great on any strap. The only slight issue with the FOIS is that it's 19mm which restricts options. Omega also do a nice black 19mm calfskin strap. Plus, I also had this custom Italian leather strap made from an eBay seller in Italy for a very reasonable price (about £45 iirc).
    DSCF2028.JPG DSCF2029.JPG

Stgo2019, bristnj and davy26 like this.
  5. leetse2 Jun 8, 2016

I hope not, I've been eyeing the FOIS for quite some time now. It is #2 on my must have list but I have been holding off on getting it because the cost of #1 (Polar 16570 BTW) seems to be climbing of late. I'm hoping that the price of pre-owned FOIS don't change anytime soon. My worry is that more and more people will come to realize what a great watch it is and jump on the bandwagon and start to inflate the price.

6. imagwai Jun 8, 2016

The good news is that there still seems to be quite a bit of stock out there in ADs

7. Lily_Stewart Jun 8, 2016

Nice straps

imagwai likes this.
  8. BLAUGRANA Jun 9, 2016

I think I saw one on a black alligator strap somewhere. Maybe in this thread? Not sure what route I'm going to take. Was thinking of the "aged grey" strap they have on Hodinkee in 19mm. Might also consider going the Camille Fourniet route again, but that's not cheap. Either way I do agree with you that it looks great on pretty much any strap. Nice strap choice yourself btw.

I would imagine this to be the case and I'm sure they'll be accessible enough in the grey market. I also would be surprised if the price went up. The industry doesn't seem to be doing so hot. Vintage is apparently doing better, but even that has had some interesting auction results in the last month or so.

9. alam Jun 29, 2016

with a no name strap, new deployant clasp, and with new look... :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Edited Jul 3, 2016
    Ssunnylee24, demollo, ajn3323 and 4 others like this.
  10. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 30, 2016

Of the recent issues, the regular FOIS is about the best, (the Sedna version though is aesthetically unpleasant). Excellent value for money too, avoiding all the nonsense regarding the limited/special editions with their silly pricing/premiums/waiting lists and people's interest more centred on acquiring one to resell and make profit on. With the FOIS you have a design which properly associates with the original model, the satisfying, hand winding 1861 movement, and a non-gimmicky dial. However, you also get the straight lugs/no crown guards, so you also have features setting it apart from a standard current Moonwatch.

ajn3323 and imagwai like this.
  11. ajn3323 Jun 30, 2016

Looks great. Like it so much better than the stock strap and tang!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alam likes this.
  12. ranxoren Jun 30, 2016

I want one of these so bad!!

13. Hijak Jun 30, 2016

Just a little eye candy to help you in your quest.;)
    image.jpeg

14. ranxoren Jun 30, 2016

Haha well done. I feel like it's just too close to my SMc300 for some reason.
    Although one could argue that they're meant to be together; both being 1957 re-issues and all :p
    I wish it came in a panda dial; then I could justify it... ;)

15. Hijak Jun 30, 2016

;)
    image.jpeg

SamQue and ranxoren like this.
  16. Civilguy007 Jun 30, 2016

If the FOIS is too close to the SM300MC, then what am I going to do with my Railmaster? I'm going with the argument that they are all meant to be together...

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

YYTIN, DeamMoriarity, SteveHH and 4 others like this.
  17. ranxoren Jul 1, 2016

Haha love it! That's my squad goal right there.
    All the 1957 re-issues - absolutely stunning collection!

18. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 1, 2016

Great pic and those three look excellent.

19. leetse2 Jul 1, 2016

What a great trio! The modern holy trinity for sure.

20. ranxoren Jul 3, 2016

Well turns out I just got very lucky and picked up @knappo1307's Speedy Panda! I wanted one for so long and was the lucky one to snatch it!! Can't wait for Wednesday when it gets here. Stupid long weekends!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gostang9 likes this.