Forums Latest Members

FIRST AUTOMATIC CHRONO: Zenith El Primero cal. 3019

1. papaebetu Dec 21, 2013

2. Torquemada A man of many smileys Dec 22, 2013

:);) Bravi!
    Ottimo lavoro

3. Jeff Stein Dec 22, 2013

It is interesting to see this announcement, but it only confirms what we have known for a long time -- that Zenith was the first to show the world an automatic chronograph.

Here is the summary, based on my research:

-- Zenith was the first to announce or show an automatic chronograph, in January 1969

-- Seiko was the first to offer an automatic chronograph for sale, in Spring 1969, but this chronograph was sold only in Japan

-- Heuer and Breitling were the first to offer an automatic chronograph for sale, in major markets around the world, during the Summer 1969.

Of course, in January 1969, Heuer-Breitling already had many prototypes, but it was Zenith that made the decision to show these prototypes to the world.

So which was first? The answer depends on exactly how you phrase the question. But one thing is clear -- for most people reading this message, in Italy, Germany, the UK or the US, if you walked into a store every day, starting in January 1969, and wanted to buy an automatic chronograph, the first one available would have been a Heuer or Breitling.

All this is discussed here -- www.onthedash.com/docs/Project99.html

Jeff

Torquemada likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Dec 22, 2013

I gotta agree with Jeff here - who cares about the announcement or even a prototype? It only counts when a consumer can buy one.

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. andy_s Dec 22, 2013

I can only say for sure that the 3019 was the one that was the most complete straight out of the trap; hour counter, date, integrated design and virtually unchanged for 45 odd years.
    'The first' may be difficult to pin down, indeed, with the close proximity of the three it seems moot, but the movement itself was the best of the three I think, in terms of chronograph movements.

6. Jeff Stein Dec 22, 2013

We can debate the question, "Which was first?" But I believe that there is no debate on the question, "Which was most elegant / most beautiful / best engineering / etc.?" The Zenith wins this contest, every time!!

Torquemada and MMMD like this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 22, 2013

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 22, 2013

Old debate, and we may have covered this ground before, but Nicola has found an entirely new piece of it! Compliments and thanks to Nicola for his usual exhaustive documentary knowledge. The newspaper item that he discovered is certainly new to me and I think everyone else too. I reproduce it here with full credit to him:
    Zenith_ultima_forum.jpg

For non-French speakers:

Zenith launches the smallest and the first automatic chronograph

Watchmaker Zenith SA of Le Locle has just achieved the extraordinary in combining two high precision watches into one. It is comprised of a high-frequency automatic watch with calendar, completed by a chronograph which permits time measurement in tenths of a second. It also has a instant-change date with quick-setting, and a 2 o'clock pusher to start and stop the chronograph, and a 4 o'clock pusher to reset. It is equipped with a minute and an hour counter and it's the first watch of this type in the world. Another exploit is that the two mechanisms [of the watch and the chronograph] occupy a volume smaller than that of a traditional chronograph. This piece offers all of the advantages of a classic watch, to which are added date, automatic winding, chronograph with minutes and hours counter and its the first watch of its type [the last two sentences repeat - compositor error?]. (A 30 minute counter at 3 o'clock and a 12 hour counter at 6 o'clock.) The whole is smaller and thinner than a classic chronograph.
    The manufacture of Le Locle is currently producing this movement and the automatic chrongoraph will be launched on the market this May and June. Its distribution will be via Zenith and Movado, the latter being part of the same holding company. (Avipress-Cosundey)

giornale_1.jpg

CdnWatchDoc and Veritas99 like this.
  9. Jeff Stein Dec 22, 2013

Yes, I was not aware of the controversy until today, but I now understand that there had been some controversy about whether and how Zenith had shown the El Primero in January 1969. This announcement does not tell us anything about the press conference, but it certainly proves that Zenith showed the world the first automatic chronograph, in January 1969.

Jeff

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 22, 2013

Right! This is the first primary documentary evidence I've seen to support January 10 as Primero Day. (coming up, folks, prepare your images!)

11. Jeff Stein Dec 22, 2013

Great idea . . . January 10 should be an annual celebration on this forum. And especially the 45th anniversary, because it ends in a "5".

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 22, 2013

JohnSteed and SpikiSpikester like this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 22, 2013

The facts have never been in dispute...read the end of Brunner's article.

Breitling and Heuer were the first to come with the idea and start production.
    Zenith was the first to show a prototype to the press.
    Seiko was the first to actually sell an automatic chronograph to the public (although only in Japan to start).

It's all in how you define "first".

I define it in terms of sales and availability, but others have different opinions, which I respect.
    gatorcpa

14. nicola1960 Dec 22, 2013

:) Grazie a tutti.

Buon Natale - Merry Christmas.
    [​IMG]

Torquemada likes this.
  15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 22, 2013

Thanks for stopping by, Nicola. Merry Christmas and thanks from all the Zenithistas for your deep research!

JohnSteed likes this.
  16. Jeff Stein Dec 22, 2013

So what actually happened on January 10, 1969? Did Zenith hold a local press conference, in Neuchatel, on January 10? Did Zenith issue its press release on that date? Or was this the date when the article appeared in the Neuchatel newspaper?

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 22, 2013

I can see the January 10, 1969 date on the full newspaper page, so the actual press conference was likely just before then.

http://takemeback.to/09-January-1969

Maybe January 9th should be the celebration date?
    gatorcpa

18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 22, 2013

Good point. Unless this article is based on a Zenith press release timed just right.

19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 22, 2013

It seems to be from a press service (no byline), so that's a possibility.

Until Nicola finds the coffee-stained, dated mimeograph handouts from the press conference in the dumpster behind the Neuchatel Daily Voice & Commercial Reporter (which I would not put beyond him), it'll probably stay January 10. :cool:

20. Jeff Stein Dec 22, 2013

You guys are the community of enthusiasts and experts, but its seems to me that the day to celebrate is the day that the public first saw this watch . . . seems to be January 10. At least until someone establishes an earlier date.

As an aside, it was fun chatting with Jack Heuer about this whole era. Yes, the folks at Heuer were not happy when Zenith beat them to the punch!!