Few questions about the Speedy Professional 3861

Hi All,

I'm considering the Speedy Professional 3861 Sapphire Sandwich as a graduation present to myself. However, I have a few questions as this is my first proper watch and I intend to have it as my one and only watch for the rest of time (probably a lie).

I am coming from automatics and have never really tried a manual wind. How is it winding everyday? I feel a tiny bit concerned that I won't like winding it or forget to wind it entirely. I initially dismissed the Speedy due to it being manual wind but over the last few days, I've been considering it

Is the Speedy ideal for daily wear because of the manual wind? I mean it wouldn't be an issue in a rotation but what if it is the sole watch?

Is it possible to get the Loupe/Paperweight from the 1861 as an extra from the OB? As I really dig these and am curious if it's possible. I generally have read that only nato's/straps are offered as incentives. If that's the case, I'll probably end up at an AD.

Thank you!

Power reserve is around 60+ hours but it is recommend to daily wind for accuracy. It's a great watch and built for daily wear.

I would think the cost of a loupe is quite low so your OB will likely throw that in together with a strap, personally I would have a deployant clasp and order a custom made strap somewhere else.

The Speedy 3861 is an awesome watch and I love mine (it’s my daily wearer). I think the manual wind will be a non issue for you… in fact it makes you admire your watch in a daily basis. If you forget to wind occasionally, again due to the power reserve that’s also a non issue. As I say, I love mine.

The freebie wouldn’t bother me… at the price you are paying I rather get the grail watch I want rather than only go ahead if it includes a cheap gimmicky loupe or paperweight which you’ll probably only use infrequently at best. The watch is the most important bit, and the 3861 is amazing.

Because it is a no date watch it is not big issue to reset it. Also the 3861 has hacking seconds for the first time on the Speedy so even easier to set the time. Giving your watch a wind before you start the day will become second nature.

Winding a watch in the morning before strapping it on takes <15 seconds, just part of the routine. No biggie, no deal breaker. Best bet is to negotiate an Omega DP buckle and strap as a freebie, they would probably throw in a loupe, too.

Personally, I love winding my Speedy. It only takes a minute, and It helps make you feel like you have a more personal connection to the watch. I always look at it as a a moment to admire and appreciate the watch, too. It's also a minute you can tune out everything else and focus, which is harder and harder to do these days.

50 or 60 years ago I doubt anyone looked at it that way. Winding their watch was just something they did. But today, it can mean a little more than that.

Buy it. Amazing watch. Perfectly suitable for a one piece collection. You will wind it every day just like you button your shirt or tie your shoelaces.

I love my Speedy 3861 sandwich.....it is my daily beater......as others said....the daily winding makes me more connected to the watch.....

Just adding to the other replies, I enjoy winding my 3861, I probably do so a couple of times a day, just a few winds, I find it oddly comforting 😀, and as every thread needs a photo
IMG_20220612_134528.jpg

If you find it occasionally as a routine you don’t always have to wind it fully once a day, which would take a long time. So I usually wind it a couple of times a day whenever I wait for something. That’s my tip if you ever forget.

Per this thread https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-3861.149328
…some new Speedmasters (mine included) are quite hard to wind. I would say it’s an unpleasant experience and actively dislike doing it. It’s somewhat spoiled the experience of owning a Speedy for me and I’m toying with the idea of taking it to the AD to see if anything can be done to ‘loosen’ it a bit… my strong advice would be to try winding the specific watch you are planning to buy before you commit to doing so.

Per this thread https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-3861.149328
…some new Speedmasters (mine included) are quite hard to wind. I would say it’s an unpleasant experience and actively dislike doing it. It’s somewhat spoiled the experience of owning a Speedy for me and I’m toying with the idea of taking it to the AD to see if anything can be done to ‘loosen’ it a bit… my strong advice would be to try winding the specific watch you are planning to buy before you commit to doing so.

It is not an issue for me and I like the modern aesthetic - but How about a bigger diameter crown like the old models. I bet that would improve the experience.

Is the Speedy ideal for daily wear because of the manual wind? I mean it wouldn't be an issue in a rotation but what if it is the sole watch?

Firstly, congrats! The Speedy could be the one and only watch you wear for decades.

To answer your question quoted above, I think the Speedy is an excellent watch for daily wear precisely because it’s manual wind.

With automatics, one problem I’ve had is that if it’s not keeping good time, I don’t know if it’s because of low power reserve. Being a desk warrior, I’m not as active as others so always curious if this negatively impacts accuracy.

So with manual wind just once a day, I can ensure strong power reserve all day.

Good luck!

It is not an issue for me and I like the modern aesthetic - but How about a bigger diameter crown like the old models. I bet that would improve the experience.
The now discontinued FOIS, and the two LE CK 2998 editions, plus the NEW 321, all have cases without crown guards which makes these versions a lot easier to wind if that is an issue. I think the winding difficulty issue is way overblown, I've had many newly made or overhauled Speedmasters and none of them were that difficult to fully wind. And almost all of them loosen up to some extent as the rubber seals wear in.

I wear my 3861 everyday and usually just wind it in the morning before I put it on.

I like that you need to wind the watch, it's a bit of a throw back to simpler times. I have a number of Speedy's and I think they are one of the best wearing watches (for me), I'm also looking at the Speedy 3861 but in Hesalite.

Don't worry too much about the Speedmaster being a manual wind watch. You'll get used to it very quickly and it becomes a part of your daily routine. I wind up my Speedy FOIS every night before I go to bed. One advantage of manual wind watches is that you know exactly how much energy you've got left in the mainspring. With an automatic, you won't know unless its got a power reserve indicator or you manually wind it up once a day.

They are just hard until the O-ring in the stem wears a bit. Hardly a worry when it’s probably 3 or so months until it gets easier. 6 months down the track it’s a dream to wind.

Mind you I own the tried and tested 1861 not the new 3861 with all the issues 😗

Having a manual-wind makes the experience a bit more intimate. The whole idea that your mechanical watch needs to have a date, automatically wind, and go anywhere is a bit immature. The more a brand’s model claims to be able to do, the more over-priced gimmicky it gets.