FedEx Wants Me To Complete A Form 5106

I purchased a run of the mill steel Speedmaster from a seller in Japan and it was shipped to me in the US via FedEx. Seller included a watch worksheet but has the watch value allocated between movement, case and bracelet in Yen. The watch is being held up in customs in Memphis because FedEx wants me to complete a Form 5106. I'm an individual purchaser, not a business importer. I have no problem paying customs fees and FedEx's administrative charges as I've purchased watches from overseas sellers more than once, including from Japan, but I've never had any other shipping company request this form before and, among other things, they want my Social Security number. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, any advice? Thanks.

I purchased a run of the mill steel Speedmaster from a seller in Japan and it was shipped to me in the US via FedEx. Seller included a watch worksheet but has the watch value allocated between movement, case and bracelet in Yen. The watch is being held up in customs in Memphis because FedEx wants me to complete a Form 5106. I'm an individual purchaser, not a business importer. I have no problem paying customs fees and FedEx's administrative charges as I've purchased watches from overseas sellers more than once, including from Japan, but I've never had any other shipping company request this form before and, among other things, they want my Social Security number. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, any advice? Thanks.
I had to complete the same on the Baltic GMT that I purchased for Christmas…all the way down to the social number, only I had to convert to euros. Shipper was DHL. I went through two rounds of paperwork and paid a fairly handsome fee. This was my first go at a watch purchase overseas. Must be some new regulation in place if you’ve done this before and didn’t have this headache. I thought it was normal…but I will think twice before buying out of country again.

Like 1
I am somewhat reluctant giving my ssn. You might be able to transpose a couple digits, just make sure the 5 digit is even

Been there, done that. Just a couple pointers:

You can break down the price among the components as you wish, as long as the amount totals to exactly what the seller declared. However, if you look at the instructions, it explains what percentage of the duty fee each component is worth. In other words, attribute the highest value to the component that has the lowest percentage.

As far as the SSN,, I use my EIN - if you have a business, you can use that instead.

Like 1
Go on line and get an EIN … use that. It takes no time at all. And yes …Over a certain value this is SOP with Fed Ex and DHL. Regardless of whether or not the shipper does one. They want the recipient to do one as well.
Edited:

Yes. In 2013. I think Archer was shipping back my SM300 and Broad Arrow Replica at the same time. They couldn't explain to me why precisely it was required. I caved and returned it to them. Still irks me and added to my frustration and overall hate of FedEx. I know, I know, they were probably just doing what was required.

American's Social Security Numbers have been so abused over the last few years that providing it on a federal government form doesn't bother me, our numbers are out there. I did the Form 5106 two years ago to clear my 321 Ed White thru Memphis, no big deal. What you should always do is have a freeze on your credit file at the three credit agencies, that prevents anyone being able to open credit lines in your name, and always keep tabs on your file to see if anything odd is going on. Anyone who thinks their SSN is secret and secure in the age of the internet is kidding themselves.
Edited:

Like 7
Been there, done that. Just a couple pointers:

You can break down the price among the components as you wish, as long as the amount totals to exactly what the seller declared. However, if you look at the instructions, it explains what percentage of the duty fee each component is worth. In other words, attribute the highest value to the component that has the lowest percentage.

As far as the SSN,, I use my EIN - if you have a business, you can use that instead.
Form 5106 is not the same thing as the watch worksheet. In this case, the seller completed that (as they should have). I’m fine with the watch worksheet. Form 5106, not so much.

Form 5106 is not the same thing as the watch worksheet. In this case, the seller completed that (as they should have). I’m fine with the watch worksheet. Form 5106, not so much.
You can always refuse to fill out the form, the watch will be sent back to the seller. FedEx won't release it without the form once it has been deemed necessary. Just get an EIN if you don't want to provide your SSN.

This is why I avoid private couriers when dealing overseas. Their rules on inbound shipments to US are arbitrary and inconsistent. Just depends on who is handling the forms on what day.

From Japan, I’ve had good luck with Japan Post EMS. I believe insurance is available and will link to USPS express mail when it passes customs here. Our post office will generally accept the breakdown provided by the seller without further hassle and act as customs broker without fees.

I realize that from some countries, you have no choice but to go private. But I don’t deal in watches that are so expensive that they need massive insurance. If I did, I would consider getting on a plane, importing it myself, and declaring at airport.

Hasn’t happened yet.
gatorcpa

Like 2
Agreed. This is the first time that it has happened to me and this isn’t an expensive watch. Very aggravating and I suspect that this is all about FedEx improving its bottom line.

You don’t think FedEx already has/can get your social security number? They know where you live and where you work, phone number etc etc etc. Not worth thinking about.

Probably true. I just don’t need another form. Ranting makes me feel better.

Like 7
I have no information on why this form is seemingly randomly required but I can sympathize with your annoyance.

Customs and duty requirements in the US seem more black arts than scientific. The web sites and forms leave a lot to be desired, overly specific at some points and maddeningly vague at others.

It might also be frustrating because we don't have to deal with customs often or that the enforcement seems so random.

Try to take some comfort in knowing that you are doing your part in slowing down money laundering or illegal trade. If that isn’t helpful, take some comfort in at least knowing where your import is located. I've had imports disappear for months, thinking oh well, that one got lost, only to have them suddenly get delivered.

I share your annoyance with customs. Once this is resolved, pictures please!

Like 1
Too bad you can't make a media circus out of this for a watch you're auctioning off so that it can get attention/more eyes and more dollars for said auction ... oh wait, that was Arnie.

BUT this seems dumb, since you are not an Importer Company, you are just a regular dude. Sounds like someone messed up somewhere ... time to call a Black SUV!

Ah ...

92aZfzH.png

I have no information on why this form is seemingly randomly required but I can sympathize with your annoyance.

Customs and duty requirements in the US seem more black arts than scientific. The web sites and forms leave a lot to be desired, overly specific at some points and maddeningly vague at others.

It might also be frustrating because we don't have to deal with customs often or that the enforcement seems so random.

Try to take some comfort in knowing that you are doing your part in slowing down money laundering or illegal trade. If that isn’t helpful, take some comfort in at least knowing where your import is located. I've had imports disappear for months, thinking oh well, that one got lost, only to have them suddenly get delivered.

I share your annoyance with customs. Once this is resolved, pictures please!
I have no issues with the way US customs is applied, in fact, I like it. Yes, it is not consistent or evenly applied, but that works out to the importer's favor. Usually stuff will slide right by with little or no custom duties collected even though the law is clear that duty is to be levied on applicable imports. They will target those areas where they think will bring the most dollar bang for their administrative buck. I have a sister-in-law (retired) who was a customs agent for many years at JFK, their main focus was drugs and cash, it still is. She said they were told NOT to go after some guy getting off a plane from Geneva with a new Rolex on his wrist, it wasn't worth the effort for the duty collected. They had one agent that couldn't help herself and she was always trying to flag someone with a shiny new watch to the point where her manager told her to knock it off. I've imported six Speedmasters in the last four years and only ONE was flagged for the Form 5106. It was the most expensive, NEW 321, but the seller had agreed to pay any duty so I don't know if that is why it was flagged or not, I really didn't care. The FedEx agent sent me the form to fill out and told me which lines they needed. I did that (incl my SSN), emailed it back and 30 minutes later the agent sent a note saying the shipment was released. Then I just had to wait for it to re-enter the FedEx system to be delivered. The other five watches came through with no issues. It is what it is. But I like the US system better than the European one where they seem to go after every shipment for duty no matter how small. It's like they want to hassle the little guy.
Edited:

Like 2
I have no issues with the way US customs is applied, in fact, I like it. Yes, it is not consistent or evenly applied, but that works out to the importer's favor. Usually stuff will slide right by with little or no custom duties collected even though the law is clear that duty is to be levied on applicable imports. They will target those areas where they think will bring the most dollar bang for their administrative buck. I have a sister-in-law (retired) who was a customs agent for many years at JFK, their main focus was drugs and cash, it still is. She said they were told NOT to go after some guy getting off a plane from Geneva with a new Rolex on his wrist, it wasn't worth the effort for the duty collected. They had one agent that couldn't help herself and she was always trying to flag someone with a shiny new watch to the point where her manager told her to knock it off. I've imported six Speedmasters in the last four years and only ONE was flagged for the Form 5106. It was the most expensive, NEW 321, but the seller had agreed to pay any duty so I don't know if that is why it was flagged or not, I really didn't care. The FedEx agent sent me the form to fill out and told me which lines they needed. I did that (incl my SSN), emailed it back and 30 minutes later the agent sent a note saying the shipment was released. Then I just had to wait for it to re-enter the FedEx system to be delivered. The other five watches came through with no issues. It is what it is. But I like the US system better than the European one where they seem to go after every shipment for duty no matter how small. It's like they want to hassle the little guy.
I generally agree with this. My issue isn’t with paying duty on the watch. I just don’t understand why they need my SSN to accomplish that.

Not to mention that the fees are really short money vs UK/EU.

I generally agree with this. My issue isn’t with paying duty on the watch. I just don’t understand why they need my SSN to accomplish that.

It's a Customs and Border Patrol form, not a fedex form. The Feds want your info for "informational" purposes.